Greek Gladiator - Finished

Andwil

This will be my entry, Airfix’s 1/72 Gladiator I in Hellenic Airforce markings from the Xtradecal sheet.  Just to make things interesting, it has the shadow compensation camouflage scheme.

52939673239_88ba661e62_b.jpg

I wont be starting until mid July as I am about to head bush for about a month, with a week in Perth to follow.

AW

Edited by Andwil
  • Like 21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2023 at 4:09 PM, Andwil said:

I wont be starting until mid July as I am about to head bush for about a month, with a week in Perth to follow.

Gidday, it's a pity you won't be in Perth the first weekend in August. You'd be able to attend our annual modeling show, WASMEx. Oh well  .   .   .

Regards, Jeff.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/30/2023 at 1:08 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, it's a pity you won't be in Perth the first weekend in August. You'd be able to attend our annual modeling show, WASMEx. Oh well  .   .   .

Regards, Jeff.

Shame I’m not able to attend your show, but had a great time in WA.  It’s a long drive from Broome to Perth but well worth it with fabulous experiences like this one along the way:

53046530611_6bd101c7c9_b.jpg

First time snorkelling for me.  Also got to fly in a helicopter with no doors, Robinson R40.  Great fun, a bit nervy at first though!

53046723394_67a23cd266_b.jpg

Anyway, back home and the bench and getting this thread back on topic I made a start on my Greek Gladiator.

53049066421_316b703abc_b.jpg

The box and its contents.

53049558918_d86c4101d4_b.jpg

Decals, I’ll be doing Delta 187.

Made a start by assembling the cockpit and prop and preparing other parts for primer and paint.

53049452790_5d78fe3bdb_b.jpg

It’s good to be cutting and gluing plastic again.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

had a great time in WA.  It’s a long drive from Broome to Perth but well worth it with fabulous experiences like this one along the way:

Gidday again, I take it that the whale shark was at Ningaloo? The second photo, was that in the Pilbara somewhere? Eight years ago my wife and I flew over the Bungle Bungles in the Kimberley in a small chopper. We had the option of doors or no doors. Chose no doors for the view. Well worth it.

Good luck with the Gladiator. I might have to scratch build some in 1/600 for carriers in the future, but in the meantime I'll follow your build here. Regards, Jeff.

That looks like quite a break, AW! Visiting Australia is definitely on the bucket list. Nice start on the Gladiator too

James

4 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday again, I take it that the whale shark was at Ningaloo? The second photo, was that in the Pilbara somewhere? Eight years ago my wife and I flew over the Bungle Bungles in the Kimberley in a small chopper. We had the option of doors or no doors. Chose no doors for the view. Well worth it.

Good luck with the Gladiator. I might have to scratch build some in 1/600 for carriers in the future, but in the meantime I'll follow your build here. Regards, Jeff.

Yes, Ningaloo.  The strong current was very hard to swim against.  Second one is over the Bungle Bungles, Piccaninny Gorge.

37 minutes ago, 81-er said:

That looks like quite a break, AW! Visiting Australia is definitely on the bucket list. Nice start on the Gladiator too

James

If you can, do it, there’s lots to see, but do go beyond Sydney or the Queensland resort areas to see the real country.

AW

• Like 2

That's definitely the plan if I manage it. Probably in about 10 years once the kids are (notionally) adults

James

• Like 1

Did some work on the cockpit.  I’m not adding any extra details and just painted some belts on the seat, experience with my previous Gladiator showed that very little will be seen once the fuselage is closed up and I wont be doing the open canopy option on this one.

53051717029_2b7fe33593_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

AW

Edited by Andwil
Posted before I’d finished typing.
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

That's my idea of a fun looking decal sheet!

Kit's coming along nicely!

I have another kit earmarked for the Chinese markings, and the Egyptian ones are very tempting too.

Got the fuselage closed up and the lower wing on:

53054315629_3102f08b49_b.jpg

Also built up and painted the engine:

53054609293_b09f09c6c7_b.jpg

Macro photography certainly does no favours!  I’ll fit this to the fuselage after painting, which will make masking much easier.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

Not worth photos but yesterday I rubbed down the fuselage seams and drilled a lot of holes for the rigging.  For a late biplane the Gladiator has fairly complex rigging, compared with the Fiat CR.32 I’m building for the Classic Italian GB that has very little rigging.

AW

Undercarriage legs now fitted.

53058001217_44b196f87b_b.jpg

After a dry fit of the canopy I’ve changed my mind and will now use the open canopy option.  The closed canopy fit was pretty bad, the angle of the windscreen just doesn’t match that of the cockpit opening whereas the open canopy windscreen fits just fine.  I may just use the closed canopy to mask the cockpit.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 7

The Gladiator is looking great. I also used the closed canopy as a blank when I built this kit and painted and fitted the open one after the airframe was painted. The open one is a nice fit so should be OK to go afterwards.

• Like 1

Today I airbrushed the undersides with Vallejo Metalcolour white aluminium:

53067923383_cf7fb5c0b8_b.jpg

This is my favourite colour for aluminium dope.  Misted on in a couple of faitly light passes has preserved a fabric look.

Thanks for looking.

AW

• Like 11