1/720 Revell George Washington

Just four days ago, Oslo had a celebrity visit from USA, USS Gerald R. Ford super carrier. It was the biggest warship to sail through the fjord ever. The second biggest warship to grace the Norwegian coast might have been HMS Albion in 1959. Very exciting, but I didn´t catch any glimpse of the super carrier last thursday from the top deck of the ferry, commuting to work. The carrier was moored four nautical miles from the docks and was probably camouflaged. Any way… Fun to know it was there. George Washington is not that much different from the Gerald R. Ford, but the flight deck on my model didn´t have as many aircrafts with only 12 units comprising; Tomcats, Intruders, Crusaders and one Seahawk and Haweye. But that´s alright, I´m not too keen on a busy flighthdeck. Armaments with 2 x CIWS and four Tomahawk batteries in the rear using Exocet missile launchers. The model was brush painted and weathered with oils and Pigma Micron pen.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 30

On 28/05/2023 at 19:24, RNoAF Aerobatic Team said:

Don`t forget that HMS Queen Elisabeth visited Oslo last year.... 🙂

Nice build!

True that. Thanks a million Orjan. 🍷

On 28/05/2023 at 21:01, Donald said:

You've got a good result out of that Revell kit. The extra brushwork and detailing really adds to it. Nice work.

Most appreciated. Thank you so much. I get a lot of joy from brush painting. 🍷

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It's very good. I was shocked by the last photo as I'd thought it much much bigger than that. Well done, you got me. 😁

Thanks a million Bertie. I truly appreciate it. It´s  a small scale. The model is only 430 mm from bow to stern. But for a 1/720 it´s a very big vessel. 😙🍷

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

Very nice model! Query the Exocet mounting where the RAM launcher  should be?

Thank you. Excluded the original launchers because they looked tatty, hence I used Exocet launchers instead. 🍷

12 hours ago, bissyboat said:

Thank you. Excluded the original launchers because they looked tatty, hence I used Exocet launchers instead. 🍷

Good move. Close enough for me anyway. (I'd describe it as a 'secret' trial fit 😁)

• Like 1

On 01/06/2023 at 21:28, bissyboat said:

In fairness, with that air group embarked, she would not have had RAM fitted.  As far as I can tell, they were fitted sometime around 2005/06 by which stage the A6s and F14s would have been replaced by F/A 18s.

But regardless of that she is seriously impressive, especially the painting on the aircraft.  Are you sure she is 1/720 not 1/350? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

In fairness, with that air group embarked, she would not have had RAM fitted.  As far as I can tell, they were fitted sometime around 2005/06 by which stage the A6s and F14s would have been replaced by F/A 18s.

But regardless of that she is seriously impressive, especially the painting on the aircraft.  Are you sure she is 1/720 not 1/350? 

Thank you so much. Hahaha. That´s right. 1/720. Appreciate the compliment. Interesting point about the RAMs. I thought they would play a  key role for self defence and for disabling military targets even with a fully loaded flight deck with aircrafts. 🌟

Edited by bissyboat
  • Like 1

I think you missed my point.  RAM was not fitted to GW until her 2005/6 refit; before that she had NATO Sea Sparrow.  And by 2005/6 her Air Wing would no longer comprise F14s or A6s (or indeed F8s) as all had been retired from USN service and replaced with F/A 18s.  So absolutely RAM would be used for anti air defence with the jets on deck.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I think you missed my point.  RAM was not fitted to GW until her 2005/6 refit; before that she had NATO Sea Sparrow.  And by 2005/6 her Air Wing would no longer comprise F14s or A6s (or indeed F8s) as all had been retired from USN service and replaced with F/A 18s.  So absolutely RAM would be used for anti air defence with the jets on deck.

I understand. I got the wrong end of the stick. I appreciate the input on the matter. Thanks again. 😅

• Like 1

On 12/06/2023 at 21:08, Andreas.R said:

Very nice build, specially regarding the 1:720 Revell kit!

Lovely details!

Regards

Andreas

Most kind of you Andreas. Thank you so much. 🍷

• Like 1