Anyone used decals from airlinedecals.com?

I came across this site by chance. I thought I knew my way around most airliner modelling products but I've never heard of them. They seem to be based in Louisiana. 

I assume the decals are laser printed. Quite a few of the schemes are attractive and, as far as I know, not covered by any other maker but even on the website some of the stuff looks iffy e.g. straight cheat lines with no provision for curvature at the nose or tail. One livery I fancy is the Air Malta "Valletta" A320 but how the murals fit around the wing roots is far from obvious.

I don't want to waste money on junk (particularly when postage from the USA is involved) and I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of this manufacturer.

Dave G

Looking at pictures of the decals and find that they took the easy (lazy) way out. They didn't draw the correct type of letters on much of the decals using standard fonts from the computer instead.

• Like 2

I've had a look at them before but was put off by a pretty obvious inaccuracy in the sheet I was interested in - the MD-UHB demo MD80 pictured on the main page and in the screenshot Dave posted. Pretty sure the fuselage titles should say MD-UHB Demo, not MD-UDF demo which is what they've put on the sheet. I lost interest in looking at any of their other subjects after that.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2023 at 4:21 AM, Space Ranger said:

What “For Sale” tabs? I don’t see any.

There is a barely visible 'three hotdogs' menu button in the top right hand corner. Click on that and the drop down links will appear, For Sale has a + menu and the airlines are listed alphabetically thereafter with + menus.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Alan P said:

There is a barely visible 'three hotdogs' menu button in the top right hand corner. Click on that and the drop down links will appear, For Sale has a + menu and the airlines are listed alphabetically thereafter with + menus.

‘Barely visible’ is an understatement; damn near impossible on my monitor! Thanks for pointing it out. The vendor needs a better website designer.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Very good service, from them.

I have ordered two sheets.

They are laser printed. The sheet for the Jetstar A320 is close to the next to start(when I get some finished)

This may give me the excuse to get it started, we flew on one in December into Sydney and my daughter got to visit the flight deck.

They look to be typical laser printed on one sheet....

• Like 2

Hi Dave,

I ordered a decal set of an Azores Airlines 321 in new colours last year or so. I received it and the communication with the seller is excellent.

So far so good, the print quality is not great, could be used but again not great looks like the printer doesn’t have a great resolution.

Most of his decals for sale will never ever work, there are prime examples where the full plane is one decal. 

„Easier“ liveries can be ordered IMO but one should neither expect print quality nor accuracy. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Ed Russell. i know there was some discussion in the Airliner-Civil Aircraft Modeller Facebook group but that was about a different lot - Airlinerdecals.com based in Brazil. I was asking about a company based in Louisiana.

There are many good and reputable decal manufacturers but unfortunately there are also a few chancers.

I just took a look at the Czech Airlines section of their range and that was enough for me to not want to bother with them.

I've seen some of those particular aircraft in person and it's clear that this outfit isn't even trying when it comes to getting fonts right. What's worse is that they have pictures of the actual aircraft right next to an image of the decal sheet, so the inaccuaracy is pretty obvious in a lot of cases.

I also wonder about the accuracy of the colours in many cases. Going by images of the decal sheets they have on the sight, they took the same approach to colour accuracy as they did to fonts and were happy to have something "In the ballpark" rather than really trying.

These to options inparticular stood out to me for font and colour issues:

mr89Bdg.jpg

The font is off in both cases while the blue in the top option and the orange in the lower option are both several shades too light.

Edited by upnorth
  • Like 2

I stayed away from that one since the problems to use the browser and I found  Airliner Decals. I gave it a try with one sheet last year and now I’m already at 3 orders that always went good. Shipped from Brasil to Italy… max 3 weeks I got all and with GioDecals quality with recent decals too.

The guy there is really taking care and good communication all the times ( despite different time zones) 

• Like 1

It is indeed another website, but I can confirm that the bad reputation of airliner decals (gio decals / modelarstalexander) is completely outdated. Yes in the past there were some reliability issues, but there was a change in ownership quite some time back and ever since then they are reliable. I ordered several sets in the last 3-4 years and they all came without any issues and the communication with the seller is excellent. Once I didn’t receive a sheet where German Post messed it up (was obvious upon tracking that it was lost somewhere in Germany) and the seller sent me a replacement for free, although it was by no means his fault.

I mean there are other sellers that weirdly enough have a better reputation that usually wouldn’t even bother to reply to a mail if you ask them something (Hello Pas, hello others).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JK_Models said:

It is indeed another website, but I can confirm that the bad reputation of airliner decals (gio decals / modelarstalexander) is completely outdated. Yes in the past there were some reliability issues, but there was a change in ownership quite some time back and ever since then they are reliable. I ordered several sets in the last 3-4 years and they all came without any issues and the communication with the seller is excellent. Once I didn’t receive a sheet where German Post messed it up (was obvious upon tracking that it was lost somewhere in Germany) and the seller sent me a replacement for free, although it was by no means his fault.

I mean there are other sellers that weirdly enough have a better reputation that usually wouldn’t even bother to reply to a mail if you ask them something (Hello Pas, hello others).

Thanks @JK_Models That is good to know about the Brazil site because they have some nice stuff. I feel a Royal Jordanian "Petra" Dreamliner coming on :heart:

"Some reliability issues" with the old Modelarstwoalexander site is a bit of an understatement! I never fell victim but judging from what I read elsewhere Alexander (if he actually existed) would have been open to prosecution for criminal fraud.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

Yep... Agree.  Airliner Decals id definitly another story.  Rafal is taking care of the order and the customer's requests. He always replied to my emails....

As soon as you place an order you can follow the status and after few days you get the Tracking number when it's shipped...  Usally I load the tracking on an APP for easier tracing. 

I've just received ITAairways decals for A350-A330-A320.... Amazing! 

• Like 1

While I agree the service is much improved, there are still some of the same issues. Often, if you order several sheets, there will be one or more sold out and it can be months before they are available again . Sometimes they substitute something you didn't order. Several times, they have sent me the wrong tracking number, for another UK customer 300 miles away. Things usually get resolved eventually, but it can take a good few months . It will certainly test your definition of patience, but no one else is making these decals , even though nearly every one contains some 'mistakes' like they have always made ......and I've been getting them since 2003.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2023 at 16:51, Skodadriver said:

Thanks @JK_Models That is good to know about the Brazil site because they have some nice stuff. I feel a Royal Jordanian "Petra" Dreamliner coming on :heart:

"Some reliability issues" with the old Modelarstwoalexander site is a bit of an understatement! I never fell victim but judging from what I read elsewhere Alexander (if he actually existed) would have been open to prosecution for criminal fraud.

Dave G

Heheh that can be, but as I personally wasn’t affected and neither people that I know I rather chose my words carefully. 

In the end there can still be some issues today (as with other decal producers as well) but you end up getting them. That’s why one can purchase without any risk. If the biggest risk is you might need to wait longer than you d wish then I think one can take that.

I mean they do interesting stuff and obviously don’t care at all about copyrights and so on. As I would not recommend to produce decals with Disney Stuff on it and so on. So lots of others would understandably refrain. Likely because one would not be able to actually find them😂😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/1/2023 at 8:47 PM, Skodadriver said:

Thanks @JK_Models. Along with the comments from Orso and Zebra that confirms my suspicions. I'll steer clear.

Dave G

Hi Dave,

I'm a bit late to spot this thread but.....

Ordered some Frontier decals from him; printing was poor with "banding" stripes visible.  Fonts inaccurate in size and spacing, graphics very blocky above horiz stabs (ie where a good view from which to print is difficult).

Suggested some of the most obvious improvements and received a revised set of decals but there were still inaccuracies.  Follow up email  told me that he had acted upon all the issues that I had raised and that it was no longer his problem. 

Think you are wise to steer clear!

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2023 at 12:59 PM, Skodadriver said:

I came across this site by chance. I thought I knew my way around most airliner modelling products but I've never heard of them. They seem to be based in Louisiana. 

I assume the decals are laser printed. Quite a few of the schemes are attractive and, as far as I know, not covered by any other maker but even on the website some of the stuff looks iffy e.g. straight cheat lines with no provision for curvature at the nose or tail. One livery I fancy is the Air Malta "Valletta" A320 but how the murals fit around the wing roots is far from obvious.

I don't want to waste money on junk (particularly when postage from the USA is involved) and I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of this manufacturer.

Dave G

I ordered some Evergreen International decals from him. My day job is working for the company that took over Evergreen’s MRO operation, and we have a lot of guys that worked for Evergreen. They all agreed the colors were pretty off, and they definitely had a blurry quality to them. The doors were sized wonky compared to the Hasegawa ones, and all the smaller decals are pretty much indistinct blobs. 

Edited by Mak_the_Knife
  • Thanks 1