Italeri Tornado GR1/IDS Gulf War 1/48

12 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Maybe it's worthwhile looking at the history of these jets.  During the 1950s and 1960s RAF jets were painted in gloss colours.  However, any military jet constantly has groundcrew clambering all over them and this reduces the sheen of the colours.  During the 70s, the RAF changed to semi-matt colours.  The hordes of linies tramping all over the

Thanks for the info and advice.

I'm a big aircraft and ivf / tank fan but I have no experience in situ or up close of the real thing and that limits my visual knowledge of quiet what and where things are subtly dirty or marked etc etc.

I used to work as an architectural technologist so have some knowledge of finishes in building terms and I know that finger prints whilst someone is holding onto something to give leverage or simply to maintain balance changes the surface finish so someone in the maintenance crew gripping parts whilst gently teasing a part with a Birmingham screwdriver to a slipping tool or scraping crane / holding / suspension equipment on aircraft that you can see with the eye but miss in the photo is stark and it's greatly appreciated that you guys can pass on this subtle knowledge that others may overlook.  I'm lovin’ it 🤓

Lovely jubly.

• Like 2

I'm going to start decalling this baby when I've finished spraying matt varnish on my Gripen (which is coming along brilliantly after some loss of confidence and some stuttering followed by a determination effort to get it done)

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 2

Wow a week of camping in Devon has my modelling itch twitching like mad!

Happiness is having a scratch for every itch, and I'm itching to get back building and painting 🤓

• Like 3

I've been adding some decals and some of them are very tiny, it's been quiet tough.  

I'll post some photos when I'm a little more advanced. 🤓