Italeri Tornado GR1/IDS Gulf War 1/48

Great progress.

The Tornado radome wasn't seriously glossy - more of a satin sheen.

The exhaust soot staining on the rear looks good. Another way to do it is to use powered black artists pastels (just rub the stick on sandpaper and collect the dust). This can be smudged and blended over a matt or even a satin surface with a dry cotton bud, leaving a stain as big/small dense/subtle as you want. The good thing about this method is that you can go over decals and partially obscure them in a realistic manner. Just seal over the pastel weathering with whatever variety of varnish you want. It's actually very easy to do.

Enjoying you build enormously.

Q

• Thanks 1

I have by brush added the black to the wing sweeps and have added some repaint marks all over like the photos.  I've also added the black to the nose and up to he cockpit and will post some photos tomorrow when lighting conditions are optimal as it's got quiet dark and stormy here.

On 09/06/2023 at 14:13, Dr. Quack said:

Great progress.

The Tornado radome wasn't seriously glossy - more of a satin sheen.

Thanks for your kind comments.  The black nose is shiny gloss at the moment but will be turned to a Satin / Matt with the finishing varnish coat.

I'd like to try the pastels technique as I have been reading some articles on give scale modeller and others regarding this weathering.

I still haven't finished with the extra coats of different sand / pink paint as I need to add some to the front nose area where the armoured charmer decal will sit like the photos I have.

spacer.png

Also need to mask off the machine gun panels and paint them burnt silver!

I should have taken some photos earlier on when it was brighter.  My camera phone isn't up to it when the light isn't great. 🤓

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 1

progress thus far.....

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still lots to do adding more repaints to cover scratches etc from the sand damage and such. Plus machine gun panels and coloured lighting bobbles on the top and underneath and wing edges and stuff.

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 2

Hi Bill, the black bits where the wings sweep should be grey - often represented by medium sea grey. It's a Teflon coating, I think, or at least the actual wing pivots are coated with the stuff. Some Gulf War aircraft had this area painted over, or you could see marks where gunge inside the wing glove got smeared over the wing surface.

• Thanks 1

I have accidentally found a new technique, at least to me anyway.

After brushing on vallejo pigment binder and adding some carbon black pigment using my army painter dry brush (which I haven't used until now) to add the pigment which I'm sure I wasn't doing right.  

How do you add pigment???

Anyway brushing it on as if it was paint it made the most wonderful streaky dirt and at the same time panel liner.

I've daubed all over with a little of the pigment and water and then with a clean brush or micro fibre cloth rubbed / brushed it off to great effect.

The subtle colour of dirt and grime that follows the airflow is great and it has highlighted the panel lines beautifully without over doing it.

I've also glued on the undercarriage and stuff.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 4

Adding pigments????

I painted on pigment binder and then tried dabbing on the pigment but it didn't work so I started ‘brushing it on’ and it did work, although it turned out more like adding paint than adding microscopic coloured particles of pigment. 

How are you supposed to get the pigment to bind when using the pigment binder.  Before adding the pigment or after?

Surely either way that would turn the pigment into paint?

When I've used pigments before I've dabbed them on and then sealed them with airbrushed varnish.

Was I doing it wrong or did I accidentally find one way whilst being completely oblivious of other ways right or otherwise???

Comment and suggestions welcome 🤓

Edited by Bill1974

Ancilliaries painted and weathered.

spacer.png

I've some super gloss ak gauzy agent stuff on order so I will set this aside until that arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

Oh and thanks to @Enzo the Magnificent For the pictures of the sidewinders!

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Bill1974 said:

Oh and thanks to @Enzo the Magnificent For the pictures of the sidewinders!

If it's not too late, could you repaint the Sidewinders forward of the yellow band?  The dark grey Computer Control Group (CCG) only extends slightly further back than the trailing edge of the fins.  The missile body aft of that is the light grey colour that you have used aft of the yellow band.  

The bombs could do with a repaint as well.  The tail sections were kept in boxes and so didn't get dirty.  They should be Deep Bronze Green aft of the line that you see.  The bomb bodies were kept in open storage and so got weathered, sometimes very weathered indeed.   While nominally also Deep Bronze Green, you could use pretty much any shabby shade of green that you please.  You could even have each bomb a different shade.  The bombs carried a yellow band around the nose which were usually hand painted by bored armourers so they don't have to be perfectly straight or even in the same position on each one!

Believe me, we didn't have time to paint any bombs pink.  At one point they were coming straight off the daily resupply Herc, into the prep shed and straight onto a Tornado!

The weathering looks good.  Tornados got very dirty, very quickly around the fin area, caused by the use of thrust reversers.  I remember a squadron sent their display jet to an air show.  The display jet was usually kept very clean for this reason, but the jockey forgot when he touched down and used the thrust reversers.  The jet was no longer suitable for a static display!  He then flew it back to base (at a cost of about 50,000 quid) and angrily demanded that the groundcrew get it "totally clean".  So, wilfully misunderstanding, that's exactly what the groundcrew did.  No tanks, no pods, not even any pylons.  But lovely and shiny!  :lol:  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

If it's not too late, could you repaint the Sidewinders forward of the yellow band?

Will do, nothings to late with me as I had planned on leaving things to cure for a day and a bit anywho.

I'll repaint the further section of infringers above the yellow but below the fins and repaint to dumb bombs.

Thanks for the colour advice, lovely jubbly! 🤓

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Wightboy said:

Just a small point and apologies if someone has already mentioned it, but the exhaust staining on the fin is best done after all the decals are on.

Initially I had some Matt black (nato black) in my airbrush left over after painting my gripen and used it up as carbon staining, I've since added some carbon black pigment to weather generally all over and have paused so I can spray some ultra gloss and complete the decals and continue with the weathering on top, call it pre-weathering. 🤓

On 04/06/2023 at 05:55, Steve Coombs said:

This should help you with possible loadouts: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html. You might need to check the markings for the plane you are building if you are aiming for period veracity.

The kit fuel tanks are 1500l ones and not the 2250l ones commonly in use, which were decidedly less scrawny and had four fins at the rear.

If you want ordnance not in the box, the Scalemates website should give you an idea of what's available, should you want it.

Regarding the 2250L tanks for Tornado,  I remember the Paragon/Xtraparts had they in 1/48th and were gorgeous pieces in resin.

SouthViper 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A layer of klear and a layer of ak gauzy agent varnish.

I am not sure if it warranted the ak gauzy agent? Do you need to add a specifically designed varnish over Klear?

I have anyway and it is shinyer for it

spacer.png

spacer.png

I've not got round to painting the dumb bombs two different shades of green yet, later on after airbrushing finishes as I don't like to airbrush late into the evening in case it disturbs my neighbours.  

Comments and suggestions welcome 🤓

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Steve Coombs said:

The nose cone is a bit too shiny now, and the anti-dazzle area in front of the windshield should be dull.

Thanks, I'll be adding decals and will do some minor weathering now my new pastels have arrived then she’ll be having a nice mid-sheen coat of satin by mixing my Vallejo gloss and matt varnish.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill1974 said:

then she’ll be having a nice mid-sheen coat of satin by mixing my Vallejo gloss and matt varnish.

To be honest, I would just go for the matt varnish.  These were not shiny jets.  Spray a number of very thin coats of matt until you are happy with the results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

To be honest, I would just go for the matt varnish.  These were not shiny jets.  Spray a number of very thin coats of matt until you are happy with the results

Will do, thanks for the advice!  

It's sometimes tough to see from the many photos I have exactly what the finished should be.  I studied photography at school and the variance between different processing of film makes a huge difference to the output as does the camera settings between a good photo and a top top professional photo with perfect immaculate focus, lighting and aperture settings and such.  If one of these aspects is out of kilter even by a small amount it affects the output massively to the beady eyed.  

Also digital cameras hardly do themselves justice by averaging out settings to produce an average photograph.  Only those with serious knowledge and practice can get the very best of of a digital camera.  

That's not to demigrate those who take the photos of aircraft in-situ merely that there is a difference between a quick snap with general settings as supposed to a completely cock-on, nailed it professional photo using a camera to it's peak in near perfect conditions with additional light and tripods and light meters etc.

Always happy to accept advice and learn with leaps or little steps as it comes 🤓

19 minutes ago, Bill1974 said:

It's sometimes tough to see from the many photos I have exactly what the finished should be.  I studied photography at school and the variance between different processing of film makes a huge difference to the output as does the camera settings between a good photo and a top top professional photo with perfect immaculate focus, lighting and aperture settings and such.  If one of these aspects is out of kilter even by a small amount it affects the output massively to the beady eyed.  

Maybe it's worthwhile looking at the history of these jets.  During the 1950s and 1960s RAF jets were painted in gloss colours.  However, any military jet constantly has groundcrew clambering all over them and this reduces the sheen of the colours.  During the 70s, the RAF changed to semi-matt colours.  The hordes of linies tramping all over the jets soon sent them into matt territory.  

Also bear in mind that the pink colour for Granby jets was a water-soluble emulsion which was dead matt.

But that's not the end of the story.  :fraidnot:  We have to take into account that we are building small scale models.  "Scale colour" is a well known phenomenon whereby to make a colour look correct, it needs to be lightened more and more as the scale is reduced.  If you spray some real BS241 Dark Green onto a 1/72 model it will look far too dark.   Believe me, I've done it.  :) 

The same applies to the sheen of a model.  Both a high gloss and a dead matt finish look unrealistic on a model.  In my experience it is best to produce a high-gloss finish to facilitate applying the decals and then to gradually knock back the shine with multiple thin coats of matt varnish until the model looks right.

I'm afraid there are no hard and fast rules to this.  It's all down to how you like the look of the model.  It's your model and if you say it's right, then it is right!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1