Italeri Tornado GR1/IDS Gulf War 1/48

Photos of progress this far.

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

How about using Dymo tape as stops and guides for the riveter? If anything goes wrong, you rivet the tape and not the kit.

I will give that a go, still unsure and feeling like I'll be messing up good progress this far. 🤓

• Like 5

I'm coming to the end and have started to study the instructions and I must admit to being a little bamboozled.

What on earth are all the various options of the weapons loadout?

It doesn't state what they are on the instructions, and I can recognise a side winder and dumb bombs but the rest is a mystery, can anyone help me understand what they are?

I have looked through this link below which has great info, but that's all it is, because unless your raf or extremely knowledgeable it doesn't mean much because there is no reference to what they look like and a description detailed or not doesn't help much.

https://dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html

This is the page in question, other instructions state what they are I can't fathom why italeri wouldn't think it would be a good idea just to add a small bit of text stating what they are.

spacer.png

I've had to read through the link of weapons loadout and copy and paste the names into a Google search to see if the actual weapon matches the instructions.

And have come up with this, any confirmation of what they are and additional details would be great.

spacer.png

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 1

This should help you with possible loadouts: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html. You might need to check the markings for the plane you are building if you are aiming for period veracity.

The kit fuel tanks are 1500l ones and not the 2250l ones commonly in use, which were decidedly less scrawny and had four fins at the rear.

If you want ordnance not in the box, the Scalemates website should give you an idea of what's available, should you want it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I agree entirely with Steve regarding the fuel tanks.

Looks like the instruction sheet is a bit ambiguous as to positioning of the electronics pods - to be clear, the BOZ 107 should go under the right wing, and the Skyshadow pod under the left.

The pods should be painted desert sand like the airframe, and decals left off (judging by the photos I've seen).

Keep up the good work on the build.

Q

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

great job on your Tonka Bill.

I follow with interest..

5 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

This should help you with possible loadouts: https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html. You might need to check the markings for the plane you are building if you are aiming for period veracity.

The kit fuel tanks are 1500l ones and not the 2250l ones commonly in use, which were decidedly less scrawny and had four fins at the rear.

If you want ordnance not in the box, the Scalemates website should give you an idea of what's available, should you want it.

Hello Steve,

So, which one of these tanks are nicknamed Hindenburg ones ??

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Steve,

So, which one of these tanks are nicknamed Hindenburg ones ??

Sincerely.

CC

Hi CC,

The 2250l ones are the Hindenburgers, having a similar profile to the Hindenburg airship (though preferably not suffering the same fate).

These fuels tanks were originally designed for the Tornado F.3, but turned out to be very useful for the GR1/1A fleet too in the Gulf War.

• Thanks 2

I've had to do quiet the extra filling and filing after adding the air intakes, wow that was a bad fit.  

And it was a good idea to add the air intake side slats early as I can't imagine how badly it would have gone trying to get them in place following the instructions.

spacer.png

Re-scribing panel lines in and around the air intakes.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

Hi CC,

The 2250l ones are the Hindenburgers, having a similar profile to the Hindenburg airship (though preferably not suffering the same fate).

These fuels tanks were originally designed for the Tornado F.3, but turned out to be very useful for the GR1/1A fleet too in the Gulf War.

They did have to put a block of wood (or something like that) at the rear of the wing sweep lever slot so that the wings did not go fully back and interfer with the tailerons. So I have been told.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bill1974 said:

I've had to do quiet the extra filling and filing after adding the air intakes, wow that was a bad fit.  

And it was a good idea to add the air intake side slats early as I can't imagine how badly it would have gone trying to get them in place following the instructions.

Re-scribing panel lines in and around the air intakes.

Hi Bill, you didn't fill the tops of the air intakes where they meet the fuselage, did you? There's supposed to be a gap/step there... Not so for the sides and undersides, though.
Closed airbrakes are usually an evil fit, but yours are good from what I can see.

She's taking shape nicely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

Hi Bill, you didn't fill the tops of the air intakes where they meet the fuselage, did you? There's supposed to be a gap there... Not so for the sides and undersides, though.
Closed airbrakes are usually an evil fit, but yours are good from what I can see.

Hiya, not sure where you meant?

spacer.png

• Like 2

Aaaah I see now, I had a study of some of the photos I have and your right there is a step.

I'll have a go at filing it in a moment!

Thanks 🤓

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Steve Coombs said:

I usually have air brakes open but the parts looked awful and took away rather added so I glued them closed and filled with vallejo filler, which is good at being watered down and brushed in like you were using caulking for skirtings and such.

Comments and suggestions as always welcome 👍 🤓

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have taped the cockpit parts on both sides using the technique stated elsewhere (I forget, I've read too many threads) by cutting thin strips of tape to bend across the frame and then filled in the gaps.  I'm going to seal the tape now by dipping in Klear before priming and painting.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have added all the various small fins and bits and bobs and she is ready for primer.

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 7

I have laid down a coat of primer and given her a gentle sanding with 1000 tamiya foam sandpaper thingy and will give her another coat tomorrow.

I'll post some photos when there is something to show.

My version of pre-shading.  

I am definitely going to try to put less paint on over the next few painting steps.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Desert pink on tomorrow.

Comments and suggestions welcome 🤓

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 3

I have remembered one thing that I was going to try with the preshading.

Adding a complimentary colour to the under paint scheme.

I have a colour wheel that I've been meaning to utilise more and the desert pinks complimentary colour is a light / mid green.

I have added this top and bottom in highlight areas and will post a photo before adding the desert pink. 🤓

3 hours ago, Steve Coombs said:

If you really want to go for it, you could paint it in the grey and green camouflage pattern the aircraft had in service before being oversprayed with Desert Pink!

Or at least the leading edges of the wings, tailerons and a few other things.

• Like 1

Pink in various shades on... With a little nato black too which is so matt it looks exactly like the photos I'm trying to copy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not sure if you can see the preshading in the photos, it is noticeable with my eye. 🤓

Black gloss nose to do and the odd by brush colour here and there.

Edited by Bill1974
  • Like 4