1/700 Type 42 Batch 2 & 3 Destroyers - HMS Liverpool & HMS York

As I am near to finishing my detour build of a 'wingy thing' here if you're interested. At the end of the T23 Frigate build, I asked a 'What should I build next?', so here I am. I'll build both T42 batch 2 & 3 destroyers using the appropriate Dragon kits in 1/700.

20230526-140829.jpg

The T42 Batch 2. Unfortunately this boxing doesn't come with any PE, so...

20230526-140920.jpg

I had to acquire WEM PE from Atlantic Models.

20230526-140934.jpg

T42 Batch 3 boxing with PE.

Stuart

• Like 15

1 hour ago, robgizlu said:

Yum yum!

A bit peckish Rob :eat:?

51 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

welcome home. 😁 Being more into WW2 ships

Thanks for the welcome back Jeff but I haven't strayed far for long. All good things comes to he who waits, I have quite a few RN WW2, so don't fret.

41 minutes ago, JohnWS said:

Looking forward to following these builds Stuart. 

Welcome aboard John.

32 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Will you be doing them side by side ?

The intent is to build them side-by-side but it will need some discipline.

Stuart 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

The intent is to build them side-by-side but it will need some discipline

Stuart.

You are a braver man than I, Gunga Din. But keep your head and I’m sure it’ll be fine.

🤞

Jon

• Like 1

This looks fun Stuart !

I am under a certain amount of gentle pressure to do a Batch 3, HMS Cumberland (otherwise known as the "Fighting Sausage" I gather), it will be interesting to see how it all comes together, lovely job on the Sheffield btw, I would swear it was at least 1/350 !!

Cheers

David

• Like 2

On 5/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, Faraway said:

You are a braver man than I, Gunga Din.

I hope I'm not bighting off more than I can chew.

11 hours ago, Hewy said:

Cool project stuart, I'll enjoy this

I also hope you enjoy the build.

29 minutes ago, Dancona said:

it will be interesting to see how it all comes together, lovely job on the Sheffield btw, I would swear it was at least 1/350 !!

Thanks for the praise on Sheffield and hope I can replicate my efforts on these two T42's.

Stuart

• Like 1

With the 'wingy thing' complete, it's time to get started on these two T42's. After a couple of ship builds and bases, I found that getting the bases done early on helps as I don't like handling these delicate things.

20230530-085811.jpg

Here we have the batch 2 hull sitting on its MDF base and watercolour paper.

20230530-085828.jpg

The batch 3 at the same point.

20230530-085911.jpg

A major difference between the batch 2 and 3 was it's length.

Stuart

• Like 12

13 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Looking at 1:700 PE makes my knees quiver. Good luck with that stuff.

It does test the olde eyes but it adds so much to these little ships, so has to be done.

Moving forward, the batch 3.

20230531-115439.jpg

Not the best Dragon kit I've touched, got some sort of texture on the surfaces that needs a good clean up...with the odd bit of PPP.

20230531-115533.jpg

Structure 1 needing some 'gloop' attention around the sighting wings, otherwise good.

20230531-115552.jpg

Structure 2 nearly there, just need to tart up around the engine intakes (right of image)

20230531-115607.jpg

Funnel, needing some more TLC.

20230531-115655.jpg

Hanger structure needing only a little attention.

20230531-115729.jpg

Test fir of structures. The flight deck took some work to fit for some reason, some gloop applied at the joints. Although the kit is waterline, the kit didn't come with a base like the batch 2, so I fitted a plasticard base to the hull, gives the glue something to stick to when mounting onto base.

Stuart

• Like 9

15 minutes ago, Our Ned said:

Although a little dated, the wikipedia article at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_system_of_the_Royal_Navy is still reasonably accurate.

Well yes, I could look it up for myself but I rather hoped to get a bit of a conversation going with the enthusiastic and friendly experts out there. 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chris Hewitt said:

two handy books

Not in my limited reference library I'm afraid. Sometimes I just choose a subject, get stuck in and use the internet as my resource...like in this case.

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

get a bit of a conversation going with the enthusiastic and friendly experts out there.

Jack of all trades, master of none, that's me.

Before getting too carried away with the Batch 2, thought I'd Look at images of the 4 ships in this batch: Exeter, Southampton, Liverpool and Nottingham as I wanted to build the Batch 2 with as much Batch 3 stuff on her. My image resource is from here: https://www.seaforces.org/  and found that Exeter and Southampton had the angled engine intake structure forward of the funnel and Liverpool and Nottingham having a more 'boxy' arrangement, fortunately both of these are in the kit. Another difference between these two 'sub batches'  were the SCOT platforms. The later sub batch had raised platforms above the original position, these are not in the kit and will need to be made, these are also missing from  the Batch 3.

20230601-163925.jpg

Another difference between the Batch 1 and 2 was the funnel. The weatherwork structures were basically the same across all batches. Now, me being a submariner, didn't have much call for knowing decks going upwards but 'that' deck amidships gets sections cut away (according to the instructions anyway). I had already cut a section away on both sides before realising that maybe I should've been a bit more wary and so I've glued them back on and to start again as the Phalanx were fitted outboard of the funnel...future instalment. 

Above is where I'm up to. The Batch 3 is clearly longer than the Batch 2, the main superstructure is slightly further forward too. The helo deck is slightly different on the 3, not that I can verify that. Slowly working through the weapons and 'accessories' before looking at the masts.

Stuart

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

• Courageous changed the title to 1/700 Type 42 Batch 2 & 3 Destroyers - HMS Liverpool & HMS York
1 hour ago, Courageous said:

The Batch 3 is clearly longer than the Batch 2, the main superstructure is slightly further forward too.

It's surprising how the longer fore-structure makes the Batch 3 version look for more elegant than the shorter Batch 2 version.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Richard E said:

It's surprising how the longer fore-structure makes the Batch 3 version look for more elegant than the shorter Batch 2 version.

I thought so too. I was reminded of the Tornado ADV Vs the GR1. I believe it's a cultural thing based on  our exposure to slim long-legged movie stars. (I'm a Batch 2 myself 🙁)

• Haha 4

On 01/06/2023 at 22:14, Richard E said:

The longer fo'c'sle also made the Batch 3s much more stable weapons platforms in higher sea states

• Like 5