Tamiya Land Rover Defender 1/10 (RC)

This was an enjoyable and relatively straight forward build thanks to the usual Tamiya quality and excellent instructions. The kit came with a pre-painted body which saved a lot of work. 

During construction there's an option for either standard or low gearing. I chose normal which with hindsight was the wrong choice. It's too fast!. The diffs can be assembled locked for better off road performance. I chose unlocked for better control as locked diffs can mess up the steering.

When applying the stickers I started with the tinted windows and then realised I'd made a big mistake. I'd forgotten to remove the protective film from the body. After some careful cutting around the frames I managed to remove the film leaving the stickers in place.  

I added one third party hop-up item from Mirage RC Parts, a rear tow plate designed for a Traxxas tow hitch which is not included and has to be obtained separately from eBay sellers. The plate does include rubber mud flaps and an exhaust pipe and really sets the model off. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

My Land Rover collection.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Is there any way to go back and change to the lower gearing? Although on the bright side if it's fast then it would be good for going over soft sand.

Good build on all three of the Landies by the way

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Spiny said:

Is there any way to go back and change to the lower gearing? Although on the bright side if it's fast then it would be good for going over soft sand.

Good build on all three of the Landies by the way

At some point I might change the gear ratio when I'm in the mood. Just involves a major disassembly to get to the gearbox. It's fairly controllable at the moment if I'm gentle on the throttle :)  

• Like 1