Random Thoughts - Vol.10 Nos.10/11/12

Vingtor

In a book on the Norwegian Flying School in Canada during WW2, there is a reference to a series of articles by Carl Vincent, in the above-mentioned magazines. Does anybody have these issues, and can tell me what the articles are about?

Nils

Hello, Vingtor:

1.         I still have my copies of every issue of RT volume 10, and I can find nothing by myself (or anybody else) on the Norwegian activities in Canada.

2.         Indeed, I cannot recall ever doing anything of that nature for RT, although at this time – 1977 – I was fairly prolific in my contributions to it. Should you find a more accurate reference I would be happy to look it up, but I doubt that it exists.

3.         In the early 1980s I did publish two articles on Little Norway in my magazine High Flight, one quite long and profusely illustrated by FJ Hatch of the National Defence directorate of history, and a shorter one by myself on the Northrops during their time at Patricia Bay. Should you be interested and provide me with a email address, I would be happy to scan them and send them to you.

4.         We have a personal interest in the subject, as well. In 1998/99 my wife Elizabeth working as a historian on behalf of Canada's National Historic Sites and Monuments Board, was researching the Norwegian air training activity in Canada. As a result of this research, in 2002, this was declared an Event of National Historic Significance, and duly marked by a bronze plaque at Muskoka Airport, Gravenhurst.

5.         During this research, we visited Gravenhurst where the Little Norway Memorial is situated – several well-designed rooms filled with artifacts, mementos, photos etc. very beautiful and rather moving. We took a number of photos which we would be very happy to pass on to you.

6.         I hope that this is of some interest, and I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards

Carl Vincent

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Vingtor said:

In a book on the Norwegian Flying School in Canada during WW2, there is a reference to a series of articles by Carl Vincent, in the above-mentioned magazines. Does anybody have these issues, and can tell me what the articles are about?

Nils

I have every issue in PDF format and will be happy to check them. Please PM me with your email address.

Michael:

Should you locate this article, or indeed, if you do not, I would appreciate you informing me.  I have no recollection whatsoever of this, and we old fellows become apprehensive at signs of memory loss.

Thanks,

Carl

IPMS Canada #154

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Carl V said:

Michael:

Should you locate this article, or indeed, if you do not, I would appreciate you informing me.  I have no recollection whatsoever of this, and we old fellows become apprehensive at signs of memory loss.

Thanks,

Carl

IPMS Canada #154

Will do!

I cannot find any reference to a relevant three-part article in Random Thoughts Vol. 10. In addition to checking the index, I looked through those issues and can confirm Carl’s observation that it does not exist. There is, however, a 5-page article with colo(u)r photos in Beaver Tales* vol. 19, no. 10, devoted to the aircraft of little Norway, and I will be happy to send a copy of that to anyone who sends me a PM with his/her email address.

*For those who are unaware, “Beaver Tales” is an electronic supplement to Random Thoughts, issued on an irregular and random (!) basis to members of IPMS Canada.

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Which Beavertales is that one? Mine only have the date they were sent out, but no series number.

Chris

Beaver Tales “vol. 19, no. 10” is actually October 2019.

Thanks, all

First I must correct myself. The reference was not in a book, but in an article on the Toronto Flying Club in the journal of the Norwegian Aviation Historical Society back in 1983. Apparently the reference is wrong. However the reference list also include an article titled "Spirit of Little Norway" by F. J. Hatch in High Flight magazine Vol.1 No.5. I am very interested in a copy, and will send my email address in a PM.

I am currently writing a book on the colours and markings on the aircraft used by the Norwegian Training Camp in Canada, thus my interest. I had certainly not expected to reach back to the author of the referenced articles. Not knowing the references articles I am just curios to know what they describe. Anything about the Toronto Flying Club's involvement with the Norwegian Training Camp would be of interest. Especially anything that describes colours and markings of the aircraft.

Nils