A-20G Havoc MPM 1/72 - 453rd BG Museum Build

Thanks Giorgio. I might do that, one day!

I'm trying not to rush this. We're away soon and I wanted to finish before we go but I've decided to slow it down before I mess up something else.

I would like to see if she sits on her wheels so I glued the wheels on, then looked at the PE hinges for the doors.

Of course one pinged but I found it!

Where:

52958206198_b28081cace_z.jpg

Here:

52957748026_f55163d93e_z.jpg

That's certainly slowed me down - they're a pain to fix. UV glue?

Nose doors fine so here we are now:

52957896659_bdae43472e_z.jpg

• Like 18

On 6/6/2023 at 7:38 PM, CedB said:

Flippin' 'eck, I bet that was scary!

Torque links, got it.

There was a Citation waiting to depart after I landed and the pilot reported "a lot of smoke" from the right wheel.

My comment was something along the lines of "I....know..." with a long break between words as I tried to force my left foot through the floor to keep the bloody thing straight!

Nice save on the stripes, although I think the whole code/stars and bars should be further forward. No one will know if you don't show it alongside a photo though.

Ian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, CedB said:

Nose doors fine so here we are now:

Looking forward to see her on her wheels! :thumbsup: 

Incidentally, from that pic I noticed that there's been a bit of green paint leaking inside the panel lines on the grey area near the front wheel bay

Ciao

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brandy said:

There was a Citation waiting to depart after I landed and the pilot reported "a lot of smoke" from the right wheel.

My comment was something along the lines of "I....know..." with a long break between words as I tried to force my left foot through the floor to keep the bloody thing straight!

Nice save on the stripes, although I think the whole code/stars and bars should be further forward. No one will know if you don't show it alongside a photo though.

Ian

I bet the other pilot accused you of braking too hard. Load of teasers, pilots :) 

You're right that the whole ident / stars and bars should be further forward but then it'd be on the wing root. Pain.

4 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking forward to see her on her wheels! :thumbsup: 

Incidentally, from that pic I noticed that there's been a bit of green paint leaking inside the panel lines on the grey area near the front wheel bay

Ciao

Well spotted Giorgio - that'll need a touch up (snurf).

On her wheels? Wait no longer…

52960012048_39119d470d_z.jpg

Pretty flat I reckon.

Here she is now:

52959704844_0351666c49_z.jpg

And there she'll stay for a week or so.

How do I get it in the car to Norfolk, safely?

I've found a box:

52960016148_bac70cc242_z.jpg

Who knows, there may also be a Thunderbolt in there.

Any tips on securing models for travel please?

• Like 17

20 minutes ago, CedB said:

Any tips on securing models for travel please?

Styrofoam sheet base, toothpicks across fuselage and wings, opposite sides - I did that last year with my model, and it survived a bumpy plane landing except for one strut. Once you don't go cross-countrying with your car (I should hope so! :D ), you'll be fine :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

Any tips on securing models for travel please

Careful!  You'll get 1000 answers each with its own brilliant suggestion.  It all depends on what you have on hand.  Ever seen the inside of a musical instrument case?  I recommend going down to your neighborhood arts/craft store and asking for a 2" thick soft foam cushion, measuring 12-15" square, each side.  Craftspeople often use them for filling furniture.   Place the model on the foam, trace around it with a Sharpy pen, then use your knife to cut out the shape.  Placed at an angle, the A-20 can fit into a 9" x 9" space with plenty of room around to absorb shocks at the perimeter.  

Place the cut foam on a second piece of soft foam and trace out where the wheels will go.  Cut out trenches deep enough to let the model rest on its belly.  During a car ride, you do not want the landing gear to support he weight of the model, because they are at risk of shearing off.   The way you're packing it now with foam peanuts almost guarantees that you'll never find the antennas again, because--mark my words--they'll shear off and get lost in the darkest corners of that big box of yours.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

During a car ride, you do not want the landing gear to support he weight of the model, because they are at risk of shearing off.

You are indeed right, I hadn't considered Ced had to add nose weight into this model, to avoid tail sitting - so more load on the landing gear....

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Foam base to absorb bumps and shocks, with toothpicks to stop model movement seems simplest and safe way to move models. Be careful where the model is placed in the vehicle. On any seat will take off if you brake hard ! Just be careful on the floor ,items falling on it.

• Thanks 1

This isn’t really what Ced needs, but I gave a lot of thought to storing my ever-growing collection, as well as the problems associated with safely transporting it.

52654499033_fe09baba19_b.jpg

I ended up choosing Really Useful Boxes. They have straight internal dimensions, and stack nicely. Inside, I use 5mm foamboard to make supports for models. Each model is supported off its wheels, and prevented from moving laterally as much as possible. It’s quite fun spending a day working out the best layout for each layer.

52654017571_9ebc2dd81a_b.jpg

Smaller boxes (12 litre) are ideal for small models. I’ve got some much larger 50 litre boxes into which the Luftwaffe and most of Bomber Command can go. 

The system has proved itself, both for domestic storage and for travelling. Last year, I was invited to show some models as part of the Battle of Britain SIG at Scale Model World, and all the models I took survived the journey from Kent to Shropshire and back undamaged.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 3

She's looking good now she's on her wheels, Ced :)

Picking up some tips on moving models too, I've been looking for a better method myself. Up to now I've been using Really Useful boxes like Heather, but wrapping the models in bubblewrap. Keeps them well protected, but not the most space efficient option, and not entirely risk free when there are lots of sticky-out bits...

James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A mighty catch up on a mighty build!!!! She looks fantastic, even more so on her wheels. ❤️

Great save on the invasion stripe decal issue. The wobbly edges actually add to the look as you said. As for the thin decal star and bar could you lightly paint over the top with a bit of white (or mixed off white) to thicken up the colour? I’ve done that before and it works a treat. Also keeps @giemme off your back. 🤣😉

All the transport ideas mentioned sound good to me too. For my big old mustang I used a box like you have filled with those little foam wotsits. It’s a bugger if you have to take your kit out all the time but for a one off journey it’s a winner. I left my box with Jim. 😇

Awesome work dear boy. Great story about using BM threads to find your uv light. Ive done that myself. 😆 

Johnny

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back from hols in France with the 'children' and their children.

Fun.

Thanks to Giorgio, Nigel, Heather and James for the tips on transport; noted!

On 09/06/2023 at 03:22, Cookenbacher said:

Wow, excellent work on the invasion stripes and transfers Ced - I love the fuselage ones, you've really captured how they look in photos of the real thing.

Very cool storage/transport solution @Heather Kay!

Thanks Cookie, very kind as always :)

On 15/06/2023 at 06:44, The Spadgent said:

A mighty catch up on a mighty build!!!! She looks fantastic, even more so on her wheels. ❤️

Great save on the invasion stripe decal issue. The wobbly edges actually add to the look as you said. As for the thin decal star and bar could you lightly paint over the top with a bit of white (or mixed off white) to thicken up the colour? I’ve done that before and it works a treat. Also keeps @giemme off your back. 🤣😉

All the transport ideas mentioned sound good to me too. For my big old mustang I used a box like you have filled with those little foam wotsits. It’s a bugger if you have to take your kit out all the time but for a one off journey it’s a winner. I left my box with Jim. 😇

Awesome work dear boy. Great story about using BM threads to find your uv light. Ive done that myself. 😆 

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. I'll have a go at painting over the white bits (snurf) 

On 16/06/2023 at 11:35, giemme said:

Oy! 

:rofl2:

:D

Unpacking and other tasks have delayed progress.

A tip for you. If you have a shredder don't put a box next to it labelled 'for shredding'. 

I've finally emptied ours:

53005589558_da1a560de6_z.jpg

Probably should have worn a mask to protect from the shiny, china clay coating that some people use. Ho hum.

Now I have to 'discuss' the recycling at the local dump Amenity Site. Apparently paper recyclers have a conveyor with slots in and the shredded bits fall through so it'll probably go into land fill. Despite the paper sacks I bought. Double ho hum.

Anyway, I have got the u/c doors on. But where did this come from?

53004500962_ccc9a2d2d9_z.jpg

Not over-scribed, it's split. Rats.

Filled now and doors on:

53005265959_77eeee5004_z.jpg

• Like 20

On 6/7/2023 at 4:16 AM, CedB said:

52957679413_0fbbbc86b2_z.jpg

I don't mind the rough edges on the OD - I can pretend it's the hastily applied stripes.

The '5' is right up against the wing root. Perhaps it should be on it.

The transfers are a bit opaque - look at the stars and bars.

They're very fragile; look at the 'H'; you can see where it broke up even though it was floated on.

Also various 'prod marks' as I tried to position the thing.

Nightmare.

Off for a lie down.

Sorry, I just can't help myself, but that should read "the transfers are a bit translucent".  Transfers are meant to be opaque. Please forgive me being pedantic but I've seen this mistake being made on product reviews and it could be confusing to someone. That's all,  as you were.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 28/06/2023 at 12:03, CedB said:

53005589558_da1a560de6_z.jpg

A classic 'shredding the top secret documents before the mob enters the embassy' shot Ced.

You don't have a passport in the name of Jason Bourne as well do you...? 😁

• Haha 8

On 28/06/2023 at 12:54, giemme said:

Well, not a good thing to find out at this point of the build, but nice save! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks G :)

On 28/06/2023 at 13:42, hendie said:

Sorry to read about your bottom splitting while you were on hols but you appear to have applied some basic BDR techniques with success.

BDR? Business Development Rep is it? Urban dictionary does, of course, have a less tasteful description :sad:

On 29/06/2023 at 21:39, The Spadgent said:

Not the right shape paper to recycle eh? Madness!!!! Everywhere, madness!!! 🤣😭 Glad you have remedied your split under carriage.  Your holiday sounded splendid.

Johnny

I know. Thankfully the guys at the dump were really helpful and it went in with the paper. Look out for industrial disasters in the news…

On 30/06/2023 at 17:02, Doolie said:

Sorry, I just can't help myself, but that should read "the transfers are a bit translucent".  Transfers are meant to be opaque. Please forgive me being pedantic but I've seen this mistake being made on product reviews and it could be confusing to someone. That's all,  as you were.

Quite right Doolie, quite right.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

A classic 'shredding the top secret documents before the mob enters the embassy' shot Ced.

You don't have a passport in the name of Jason Bourne as well do you...? 😁

😆

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks hendie. BDR, got it :)

Well it's been almost a month since I did anything on this.

Another trip to France with friends but that was only ten days or so.

What's stopping me progressing this?

53070527273_a96ef190c3_z.jpg

I'll show you. These things:

53070528098_724203dc67_z.jpg

PE hinges for the u/c doors. With my old and slightly shaky hands the attempts I've made so far have been hopeless.

I've been thinking of solutions.

Thick CA?

UV glue?

Then a solution occurred to me.

Who's going to look under the model when it's in a case?

No one.

Leave them off then! Ha ha ha…

So the filler on the bottom crack (steady) was painted:

53069448712_05ab475d4a_z.jpg

and, when that's dry, she'll get matt coated.

In the meantime I'm going to do some work on Quinn's mobile.

For a bit of a break.

• Like 16

Nice fix there, Ced :clap:

1 hour ago, CedB said:

UV glue?

Sounds like a good idea, but so does the solution you ended up choosing... :winkgrin:  :D 

Ciao

• Thanks 1