Seafire FR.47: Airfix 1/48

My attempt at the '90s Airfix Seafire, built from its original boxing. This represents VP 461, flying with 800 Naval Air Squadron, based initially in Hong Kong before deploying to the Korean War aboard HMS Triumph.

I can see why this was a landmark kit for Airfix; fit and detail are generally excellent; only the thick, ancient decals were an obstacle - I can see why they were abandoned in later boxings. Partly because of this - and partly to retain as much of the nice surface detail as possible - I opted to paint the invasion stripes and roundels, plus the larger codes, using Montex masks.

The only other additions were a Falcon canopy, Eduard PE harness (and some stencils), plus some scratch detailing in the cockpit and a couple of rudimentary oblique cameras.

I tried to conjure an airframe pushed hard in action, but maintained to withstand life on a carrier. I’m sure no exposed metal would’ve been permitted, although the wear of constant use must’ve built up over time. Of those planes that survived the conflict, only a few were airworthy; many others were scrapped upon their return, driven to the end of their functional lives.

This final iteration of the Spitfire is such a striking, muscular end to the line. Although piston engine fighters were pretty much obsolete by the time the FR.47 entered service, the Seafire is a mighty last gasp.

Thanks for looking. I had a great time with all aspects of this kit. 

fr47_4 fr47_8 fr47_7 fr47_2 fr47_12 fr47_5 fr47_1 fr47_10 fr47_3

• Like 65
  • Thanks 4

G'day Tim. Lovely model. I like your rationale for the weathering and I think you have achieved it very well. Looks just right to me. Excellent masking and painting on the stripes and roundels. MC

• Like 1

Love this, one of my all time favourite aircraft. I know it’s considered heresy by many but to me the late mark Spitfire and Seafire are much better looking than the early models. I need to re-visit this kit, I had a couple in the original stash that was sold off when I thought my modelling days were over, since returning to the hobby a couple of years ago I acquired a second hand one which was complete but came without its box. Strange as it sounds I found not having the box artwork extremely detrimental and despite being one of my favourites I just couldn’t get into the build, a couple of silly mistakes that should have been easy to fix just killed any remaining enthusiasm and it was put aside. I’ve looked at it a few times since but each time I notice something else has detached and disappeared or I see another mistake, it’s currently serving out it’s time a paint mule. 
Your model is really nice, the paint and weathering are, to my eyes spot on and the painted roundels and invasion stripes just top it off. Thank you for posting I think I will have to start looking for another kit now.

Richard

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Model cobber said:

G'day Tim. Lovely model. I like your rationale for the weathering and I think you have achieved it very well. Looks just right to me. Excellent masking and painting on the stripes and roundels. MC

Cheers, MC! Lots of repainting on the stripes and roundels, but worth it in the end I think. Glad you think the weathering rings true. Thanks for looking.

12 hours ago, Peter W said:

Great looking Seafire and definitely inspires me to get on with mine.

Pete

Do it, Pete! It's a handsome model when it's done, and goes together pretty quickly.

6 hours ago, Richard S said:

Love this, one of my all time favourite aircraft. I know it’s considered heresy by many but to me the late mark Spitfire and Seafire are much better looking than the early models. I need to re-visit this kit, I had a couple in the original stash that was sold off when I thought my modelling days were over, since returning to the hobby a couple of years ago I acquired a second hand one which was complete but came without its box. Strange as it sounds I found not having the box artwork extremely detrimental and despite being one of my favourites I just couldn’t get into the build, a couple of silly mistakes that should have been easy to fix just killed any remaining enthusiasm and it was put aside. I’ve looked at it a few times since but each time I notice something else has detached and disappeared or I see another mistake, it’s currently serving out it’s time a paint mule. 
Your model is really nice, the paint and weathering are, to my eyes spot on and the painted roundels and invasion stripes just top it off. Thank you for posting I think I will have to start looking for another kit now.

Richard

I've got several builds stalled at various stages for various reasons. Once it's gone cold, it can be very difficult to revive the passion for a project. Seeing a couple of good Seafires here made me hunt this one down; then I just ignored all other kits until this one was done! 

Glad you like it and thanks for looking. 

4 hours ago, RWestcott said:

Love the weathered paint, fantastic model. Good job.

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Superb Seafire, love it. :like:

Thanks, Richard and Bob. Appreciate the supportive comments and I'm glad you like the model. Cheers!

Tim

• Like 1

Have to agree with all the comments about what a fine Griffin Spitfire you have built and how well a job you did on the weathering to just show enough, but not go overboard on the wear and tear.  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the support, everyone. It's very encouraging. I'm coming off a bit of a modeling lull recently, but this really helps me keep the enthusiasm going. Cheers!

• Like 1