1/35 Takom MQ-8B Fire Scout

Pappy

G'day people,

This will be my entry

DSCN9889.JPG

Somewhat unusually, this is actually TWO compete kits in the one box.

As for the box contents themselves,  here is what you get,

DSCN9890.JPG

DSCN9891.JPG

Oh there is also some boring old PE included but I will get to it when I start the kit

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

welcome along Pappy, and what an interesting choice.

They are a super cool looking machine, and because of their size it is probably right you get two in the box. I haven't even thought of adding these to the stash......but now! :D

Good luck with the build, should be a nice straightforward one.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2023 at 4:05 PM, galgos said:

What an unusual looking chopper…..where does the pilot sit!?

Behind a monitor 🤣

On 5/20/2023 at 7:38 PM, trickyrich said:

welcome along Pappy, and what an interesting choice.

They are a super cool looking machine, and because of their size it is probably right you get two in the box. I haven't even thought of adding these to the stash......but now! :D

Good luck with the build, should be a nice straightforward one.

cheers Rich

G'day people,

I thought it was time to crack the bags on these bad boys. today. Assembly is quite quick and pretty straightforward. Here is where I am up to now

DSCN9947.JPG

There are four options in the kit, two versions with the smaller nose sensor and two with a larger , more bulbous nose section. I decided that I would have one of each. The two variants have detail differences between them, so kinda like sub-sub-variants. The differences include additional ram air scoops and sensor variations. You need to keep your wits about you as it would be easy to stick the wrong bits on. The kits share a common fuselage with recesses to accommodate different panels

DSCN9952.JPG

DSCN9950.JPG

DSCN9949.JPG

DSCN9953.JPG

So far, the fit has been quite good however, the underside needs a little more filling and sanding. Annoyingly, it means the delicate raised rivet detail is lost, especially in the area under the tail boom which is quite busy

DSCN9948.JPG

I have also been building up the stub wing assembly which also includes the skids. I will add these to the fuselage when I have completed sanding the fuselage seams  as it will be difficult to access them with them installed.  but here is a quick dry fit to give you an idea

DSCN9955.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

They are looking really nice Pappy, it's great that you can do both versions.

With the filler, rather than sanding and loosing all the detail, try using a cotton bud dipped in some nail polish remover. It gently removes all the excess filler with out damaging the plastic. Well it will very slightly make the plastic go matt again, which is nice if you're trying to match the original surface.

Craig @modelling minion I think taught me that method.......if not I'll just blame him as always!  🤣

Super cool model. love to! :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, galgos said:

Thank you Pappy, so it’s a drone typethingy. No wonder I never heard of it. 

Yup. the 'Q' in the designation gives it away as an unmanned vehicle

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

They are looking really nice Pappy, it's great that you can do both versions.

With the filler, rather than sanding and loosing all the detail, try using a cotton bud dipped in some nail polish remover. It gently removes all the excess filler with out damaging the plastic. Well it will very slightly make the plastic go matt again, which is nice if you're trying to match the original surface.

Craig @modelling minion I think taught me that method.......if not I'll just blame him as always!  🤣

Super cool model. love to! :thumbsup:

G'day Rich, yeah I know about the acetone/filler trick but I never thought to use it!

cheers

Pappy

Looks good Pappy, I remember these things were in an old Battlefield game and the controller could guide in cruise missiles with them- very annoying to face but nice to see one represented here!

On 6/7/2023 at 1:27 AM, modelling minion said:

Nothing new there then, always blame the poor innocent Minion!😉

🇺🇦

Story checks out...

On 6/8/2023 at 1:24 AM, Luke1199 said:

Looks good Pappy, I remember these things were in an old Battlefield game and the controller could guide in cruise missiles with them- very annoying to face but nice to see one represented here!

I wouldn't want to meet one in a dark alley!

G'day people,

I have attached the stub wing and the tail rotor extension with its associated tail rotor gearbox. These were like a small kit in themselves

DSCN9969_kg8A4XyYrjK4eb12NRJ2yy.JPG

DSCN9970_1Au31C7cKjrSMPokeFTtUN.JPG

There are a couple of small spots than need some filler but otherwise the fit was superb

DSCN9972_dopMFK1NmrUnqXiY7wyShV.JPG

DSCN9971_mUucxZsrCNtxKicwXwZZvh.JPG

There is a thin cross tube mounted underneath the tail boom. I managed to snap one while cleaning it up so I decided to replace it on both with some styrene rod and save myself the hassle of cleaning up the bits.. These are starting to get spider like now as the various antennas and sensors will be added next and that will mean they will become much trickier and delicate to handle,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

G'day people,

I was a little dismayed when I managed to obliterate the fine raised rivet detail while taking care of the seams. 

I have attempted to remedy the situation by applying some rivet decals to the affected areas

DSCN9975.JPG

DSCN9973.JPG

DSCN9976.JPG

I have not used these before so it will be interesting to see how effective they are. I also added some wiring around the tail rotor gearbox

DSCN9974.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 2

Good fixup there, I last used rivet decals on my Revell Apache. Seemed to work better when applied over sanded down primer than bare plastic, but I've seen others get equally good results without primer.