Airfix Leander and Rothesay conversions

A little bit of fettling and I got the detailed interior to fit in what looks like the correct way. A little bit more work to be done on the replacement part before I glue in it place for good.

The pictures will give a good idea of what it will look like.

53116314636_9b0b01f75f_c.jpg

53115717892_26768a0f9b_c.jpg

A few walls still to be added as well as a couple of doors then I will have to think about paint and adding details.

Gondor

• Like 4

I have a question about the square recess with the hole in the middle on the aft end of the Leander ships, just like the one in the link below

https://shipshub.com/classes/39-1.html#lg=1&slide=6

What is it? Also why is there another hole in the side of the VDS well forward and slightly higher that looks as if it's connected to the aft hole :blink2:

Also starting to think about the name plates to go with the OOB build and the Ikara Leander. Not sure if I should put HMS Dido F104 or F104 HMS Diado. I think the former is more correct than the latter but would like others opinions as I am not exactly well versed with ships.

Thanks in advance

Gondor

The photo is of a batch 3 ship, which were not built with VDS. I think the hole is for mooring or towing cables.

I've only seen the spelling "Dido"

Thanks @Niall , it was the only photo that I could find at the time.

I should have been a bit more specific when I was talking about the name plate. I was meaning for the display base.

Gondor

A little round up for recent things. I agree with @Niall about the hole being for an anchor after I thought about it and looked at several photographs in the Warship No2 book. This is supported by the fact that there is a Capstan mounted on the deck between the VDS and Limbo wells. However I have to correct him about the Batch 3 Leanders which were all built with an extra two foot wide beam but were otherwise the same as all the other Leanders at that time. If they were refitted, all except Juno, had their VDS and Limbo wells plated over. This comes from Leander Class Frigates by Richard Osborne and David Sowdon. It can get very confusing with what was done to which ship so I intend to create a spreadsheet to help me keep track. One example of this is that the Ikara ships lost their Type 965 radars and had a Type 1010 IFF aerial fitted in it's place which explains why I thought I was short a resin Type 965 radar, only it didnt exist. :blink2:

Gondor

• Like 1

Not convinced by either of those arguments as to its use I'm afraid.  In all of my time in the Navy, I have never come across any modern ships other than FEARLESS/INTREPID (and by logical extension I suspect their successors ALBION/BULWARK) having aft anchors.  Almost all RN FF/DD have a capstan on the quarterdeck but that is primarily for working ropes and wires when berthing.  Ropes and wires were routed through the fairleads on the upperdeck.  That said, the one you can see in the photo of DIOMEDE with the horizontal drums was for launching and recovering the Type 182 decoys, the berthing capstan was fitted inboard of that on the centreline.

It looks to me more like a viewing port.  To my eye it appears to be glazed.  I've been through all of my LEANDER photos (sadly not that many that show the quarter or stern view) and there is no pattern that I can establish.  There are some that have a corresponding hole/viewing port inside the 199 well, some that have the one inside but not outside, and DIOMEDE which as has already been pointed out was never built with a Type 199 (even though the lip at the bottom of where the 199 well would have been suggests that she probably had the well at build) has one anyway.  I did wonder whether it was for viewing the launch/recovery of the Type 199 in heavy seas when you didn't want people on the upper deck, but if that's the case why is it not more consistent?  Sorry, that's not very helpful.

It's not true to say that Batch 3s were not fitted with Type 199.  As far as I can tell, only the last 4 (ACHILLES, DIOMEDE, APOLLO and ARIADNE) were never designed to have 199 but I then come back to the question of why does DIOMEDE (and for that matter ACHILLES but not ARIADNE or APOLLO) have a lip where the bottom of the well would be?  The first 6 Batch 3s were certainly designed to carry 199 I have photographic evidence of most being so equipped.

I'll make some enquiries amongst my former naval colleagues who may have greater experience of Leanders than me

• Like 3

A viewing port is more likely now that I have looked at the pictures in Warship NO. 2

53125719045_9940f9f165_c.jpg

53125523409_d5479f28cc_c.jpg

The second picture makes the argument for me and in 1/600 is anyone going to be able to tell :shrug:

However it is a detail that shows it is there which to me means that I can't leave it out. Once it has been seen it cannot be unseen argument.

The Display plates are takeing a step closer to reality with these items

53125801778_5aa96341ff_z.jpg

I have decided that the Ikara ship will be "HMS Dido F104" with a border around the letters and the name plate painted Brass with the tops of the letters and numbers painted Gloss black. Just had an idea to start a company called "Letoral Thinking" to do ship name plates as I just described :whistle:

Gondor

• Like 1

I played around with the lettering today and ended up with this....

53127623878_45f3fe77bb_c.jpg

The "M" is slightly low but I may not bother fixing it as it could be more trouble than the result. Next up is hacking the Port side of the VDS well to bits :evil_laugh:

Gondor

• Like 4

Managed to cut the inside Port corner of the VDS well with a little less trouble that I expected. I need to look for a much smaller saw blade though as even the ones I have that fit on a scalpel handle are a little bit big for this kind of work.

53128070933_09a21d222b_c.jpg

53126998912_662f6e33e2_c.jpg

I did make a slight mess to the wall of the VDS well but there will be more filling and the like to go on there once I build the view ports.

Gondor

• Like 4

When using letters like that put a strip of masking tape at the bottom and place the letters touching the tape, then add a little liquid cement at the top of each letter. Remove the tape and add liquid cement at the bottom of each letter.

Have you seen this web site? -

https://davecov.org/davecov/davecov-airfix-magazine-articles/

There are 4 articles on Leander class frigates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Niall said:

When using letters like that put a strip of masking tape at the bottom and place the letters touching the tape, then add a little liquid cement at the top of each letter. Remove the tape and add liquid cement at the bottom of each letter.

Have you seen this web site? -

https://davecov.org/davecov/davecov-airfix-magazine-articles/

There are 4 articles on Leander class frigates.

It's the first time I have used individual letters and had drawn lines to use as a guide thinking I could manage with just that. Next one I will try your suggestion :like:

No, I didn't know of that site so thank you very much for the link. The title page of some of the articles brings back memories of the small sized Airfix Magazine, I still have most of mine in Airfix folders.

Gondor

It's bizarre.  Until you first highlighted those viewing ports, I had never noticed them on any Leander (I've served in 2, landed a Lynx on about half a dozen and been onboard about another hlaf a dozen plus all the ones that used to come into Navy Days when I as a youngster!).  Now they seem to be popping up in pictures everywhere.

By the time you've finished, there'll be more filler and plasticard in DIDO than kit - just like most of my old Airfix 1/600 ships!  But making excellent progress.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

It's bizarre.  Until you first highlighted those viewing ports, I had never noticed them on any Leander

Me neither, although I haven't had your experience with them.

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Now they seem to be popping up in pictures everywhere.

That situation is not unique. Some photos of other ships I've looked at for decades have details that I've missed. But once pointed out they're painfully obvious. Two examples with Bismarck are the missing range-finder on turret Anton and the colour of the funnel cowl.

I haven't made many comments on this thread @Gondor44 but I've been following it avidly. As I said above I've not had much experience with these ships so I have very little meaningful info to offer but I'm very impressed with your dedication for accuracy and the effort you're putting into this.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't worry about not saying much in the thread Jeff, it's nice to know that someone else is following my attempts at making a better model out of what Airfix provide.

As for things appearing seemingly out of nowhere once someone mentions them, it's a simple matter of something that is always there but was never anything you needed to know about so your brain ignores it. I prefer to study drawings and photographs to get details which have been missed, or in the Airfix Leander's case, not able to include, so that I can make a better model. Attention to detail is also why I do the job I do, because I want to get the best result I can.

Gondor

• Like 1

Not exactly for this topic, but I did receive a copy of a very nice book by a certain Mr Neil McCart on County Class Guided Missile Destroyers. Just wish there were simmilar books to the Warship No.2 that I am using for my Leander builds for the County Class Destroyers, or any other Brittish Warships for that matter.

Gondor

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for not posting for some time. A loss of motivation which started with a dental abscess three weekends ago and what I am sure is a chest infection this weekend :wall:

I have managed to fit the pillars to the base though. Finally after something like six or more years of owning a pillar dril stand I finally used it! Really the only way to make sure that the holes for the screws were both vertical. I have also dug out Humbrol 54 to paint the name plate which I am thinking of securing at an angle on the edge of the base with a couple of brass pins. Not much at all otherwise :speechless:

Gondor

Edited by Gondor44
Spelling
  • Like 1

Managed to get one part of the build done. The base is just about complete, just need to glue the pins holding the name plate in place.

53189728601_83fe708b1b_c.jpg

I am thinking that the shelf it is pictured on is also the ideal place to keep it when I finish building it unless I put it in a box to keep the dust off it.

Gondor

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

As to what purpose they started for I can not comment (although do suspect viewing port of launch and recovery of VDS is correct) but it was without a doubt a viewing port. I served on HMNZS Southland which was previously HMS Dido and when I was boats and sides part of ship remember painting its surrounds several times whilst dangling in a bosuns chair. I think by that stage of its life the inside compartment had been converted to the laundry for the two Hong Kong laundrymen NZ Leander's carried well into the early 90s.  Southland was the only one of our four that had it from memory. 

Edited by Alun Gallie
spelling
  • Like 1

spacer.png

It can be seen from this shot taken during her delivery voyage from the UK after recommissioning as HMNZS Southland. 

spacer.png

A phots from later in life with VDS frame removed. The well deck slope between the guard rails and the bulkhead you can see at the top of the slope was where bags of gash (rubbish) where stored when at sea and could not be ditched. 

• Like 1