Sea Vampire F20

I started this in the Salty Dog GB but lost the windscreen so it stalled. It miraculously reappeared but too late to complete in the GB so I’ve transferred here. The initial part of the build can be found here. 

I have done a bit more with the airframe complete, underside painted and masked off for the upper surface Extra Dark Sea Grey. The canopy is on and masked with an Eduard mask. 

resized_a590e595-94b9-4583-a946-ff2af8ca

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 7:06 AM, bigbadbadge said:

Looks good 825, it's a nice kit to build.  Looking forward to seeing the decals on .

Chris

Thanks Chris, I thought is was going to be a right off because of the lost windscreen but good to get back on track. 

Painting finished on the airframe. There was a little tidying up needed but now ready for the transfers. 

resized_2a03c165-096f-4f79-82ca-b94dc851

The transfer sheet is a bit small but nicely done. The underwing serials are in individual numbers, unfortunately not cut up for the undercarriage doors so there’s a wee bit of work there. Also the fuselage serials are generic for the WV15 and the last number to be added. Also separate from the Royal Navy logo so will probably need a couple of sessions. 

Most of the transfers on, I’ll leave them to firm up before adding the rest. 

resized_aebd6602-42ed-4cd2-9ae1-45f70e61

• Like 2

Looking very nice indeed 825. I do remember cutting the decals although I found it easier to stick the numbers on the doors and then trimming them around the edges once set and touching in the bits on the underwing areas with paint as only small areas are outside of the door.

Great work

Chris

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice indeed 825. I do remember cutting the decals although I found it easier to stick the numbers on the doors and then trimming them around the edges once set and touching in the bits on the underwing areas with paint as only small areas are outside of the door.

Great work

Chris

Thanks for the tip Chris, I’ll certainly see if that works. 

• Like 1

@825 just to let you know that your pictures are not appearing!

Village Photos do not have a secure HTTPS connection anymore, and as such any photo's hosted on their site will not appear on BM which does have the correct certification in place for HTTPS connections. You may want to think about changing your hosting service to one that provides HTTPS. 

On 5/29/2023 at 11:44 PM, treker_ed said:

@825 just to let you know that your pictures are not appearing!

Village Photos do not have a secure HTTPS connection anymore, and as such any photo's hosted on their site will not appear on BM which does have the correct certification in place for HTTPS connections. You may want to think about changing your hosting service to one that provides HTTPS. 

I appreciate that there are sometimes issues with Village Photos, however I’m not in a position to drop them as my hosting service. If the pictures don’t appear they can be seen by right clicking the link in the post apparently. 

As I moved onto assembling the undercarriage I came across a problem. Some Liquid Lead in the nose has worked it’s way into the locating slot for the nose undercarriage leg. 

resized_77e07594-62dc-47ef-b67d-f6ba96a5

A bit of work with a drill bit and a scalpel was needed to fix it but now the undercarriage is now substantially on. The fit is really good and positive and apart from cleaning off the sprue gates no cleaning up needed. The main undercarriage doors have still to go on and I’ll add the serial numbers to them first. And a wee bit of paint touching up needed too. 

resized_7de55d16-e177-47e7-be56-170b54d8

• 2 weeks later...

Almost done, another coat of satin varnish and she’ll be ready for posting in RFI. 

resized_6ad74bb2-6dc7-4049-af39-bfd68b76

Unfortunately despite all the weight up front it’s a bit of a tail sitter, it’s currently sitting on a slight slope. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looking very nice 825, great job.

Chris

Thanks Chris, it has turned out to be quite a neat little plane once finished. 

Finished with the varnishing and masking taken off. So pretty much finished and ready for a photo shoot for RFI

resized_ca71b174-29ca-497a-a8e9-c662a17e

resized_75abd418-ec86-4f11-98d1-154351c6

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

It certainly is a lovely kit and is looking good, great work.

I love their 72 Sea Venom too a cracking kit .

Chris

It’s the next one from my failed Salty Dog GB builds. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 825 said:

It’s the next one from my failed Salty Dog GB builds. 

You'll enjoy that one, the only issue I had was that the main undercarriage legs were too long, solved it by choppin a section out of the rear legs and cut the swinging arm that is fixed at an odd angle in the nose wheel so it could be angled downwards appropriately.  It then had the correct stance.

Have fun with that the fit is great.

Chris

On 6/13/2023 at 6:43 PM, bigbadbadge said:

You'll enjoy that one, the only issue I had was that the main undercarriage legs were too long, solved it by choppin a section out of the rear legs and cut the swinging arm that is fixed at an odd angle in the nose wheel so it could be angled downwards appropriately.  It then had the correct stance.

Have fun with that the fit is great.

Chris

Thanks Chris, that’s helpful, these DH twin booms all have a characteristic stance so it’s important to get them  right.

• Like 1

Now finished and photographed to put in the RFI pages. 

resized_faf00616-d3d2-40d4-a9f9-afe64a0c

• Like 1