Favourite 1/35 kits of recent years?

Sharpscale

16 hours ago, f matthews said:

In addition to these in the earlier post, I think I should add Miniart's T-34 Series-they are excellent builds and while the interior kits can be complex, they offer non-interior options and are the best T-34s out there I think.

52868180337_47394e8aaf_b.jpg 50793843901_ac4fb20044_b.jpg 50793096983_d1de18dff8_b.jpg 51834568176_33d82d6034_b.jpg

Nice finish on that first 38t build! Where are you picking up the wooden bases and plaques from? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sharpscale said:

Nice finish on that first 38t build! Where are you picking up the wooden bases and plaques from? 

Thanks!!

The Vickers 6 Ton?  Bases are award plaques and I get the plates engraved at a trophy shop.

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 1

I’ll throw my two cents in here. Meng make great kits especially loved doing the ft-17. Francis gl on here has recently finished the Meng char b and also said that was a great kit. Nice fit, clear instructions, easy to assemble, good choice of subjects.

Paul

• Like 3

On 03/10/2023 at 00:25, f matthews said:

Thanks!!

The Vickers 6 Ton?  Bases are award plaques and I get the plates engraved at a trophy shop.

Yes the 6 tonne sorry. Thank you for the tip, I’ve ordered a model base from eBay - found a seller that makes custom sizes for a reasonable price. Going to pop into a local trophy shop to get a plaque made for my Draken J-35 build :) 

• Like 1

On 01/10/2023 at 20:26, JohnnyBros718 said:

Heya, Sharp!  

This was a Covid build, so alas, did not bother to take any pictures... That said, as soon as I can get myself set up with one of those free image storing/sharing services, I will try to post a few in-progress (meaning base-coated, but not painted, as it stands --- well sits --- right now ) pix of this ugly-beautiful beast...along with the unpainted Namer (still gotta get the glass masked, and add this little chain detail in two spots on the hull; same issue for the D9R, which has like ten million windows to mask (oofah)! And maybe pictures of a base-coated Academy Merkava IV and base-coated Achzarit...  

Yep, have a fairly large traffic jam --- very apropos considering I live in grid-locked Los Angeles --- of unbuilt or built-and-unpainted or built-and-base-coated kits... Sadly, painting is usually where projects hit a dead stop for me...part of that is me, as I do not enjoy the painting as much as I enjoy the build, detailing, etc... Throw in the weather --- it is often way too hot or, believe it or not,  too cold to go out to the garage and paint. So with this additional excuse, I've got the perfect recipe for projects to grind to halt and remain dormant (sigh), and unpainted, or just base-coated. 

That said, despite some ongoing airbrush and compressor issues, I have made progress painting the Border Models Apocalypse tank! This project was such a pain to assemble (no doubt, Modeler Error combined with some annoying aspects of the kit) that I am actually ENJOYING painting, which is a shocker for me! I will try to get some mediocre pictures of that in progress build up in the Science Fiction board as soon as I can get the image sharing thing figured out...

Back ta the Nagmachon... I absolutely agree, Sharp, that it is so unique that it would look great on a base onto itself. No diorama or vignette necessary. Definitely an eye catcher (kind of looks like a love child of a Dalek??) of a subject!!!

At last month's club meeting (Los Angeles Miniaturists), I was able to pick up another Tiger Models kit of this Nagmachon at a great price --- I rarely build the same kit twice, as I rarely finish the first kit first! ;) That said, in my paranoia that Tiger Models may or may not be defunct, I also went ahead and purchased their early version of the Nagmachon, without the doghouse or ("dawghouse" as we'd pronounce it back in The Bronx, while drinking our "cawfee"...), just the four shields with armored glass. 

And as much as I want to jump in on that one, first, before starting anything new, I HAVE to finish something!!! Hence, I continue to press on with that silly-but-interesting sci fi Apocalypse tank... Given family, work, and other commitments, I am hoping to have that silly two-barreled, four-tracked beast finished in a month or so...we shall see!

Thanks, Sharp --- really appreciate the encouragement!! You keep on building, bruddah!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

That’s great Jonny! You’ll have yourself a collection of Nags before long :) 

Feel you on the build time and backlog issue. I figure there are about 2 weekends a month where I can sit down at the bench and focus for a couple of hours at a time. I rarely ever find the time midweek but often don’t feel like modelling midweek either. This issue has made me quite determined to finish every build I’ve ever started - which Ive somehow managed  to date. 

My latest build was the Minibase SU-33 and that actually took me six months…. So I figure with my current stash I’ll be sorted with builds for the next ten years. That’s not going to stop me buying more kits though is it 😂

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Another shout out for Tamiya's Pz38(t) it's a really nice kit...

20221026-161602.jpg

And Tamiya's Panzer IV AusfF really is one of those 'joy to build' kits you read about in reviews - nice crew figures, too...

20221112-010613.jpg

And Italeri's Sd. Kfz 232 6-rad looks nice when finished...

2.jpg

• Like 6

On 22/02/2024 at 19:11, KingCobra said:

Meng Merkava IV LIC

8BWrWlZ.jpg

and finally: Meng Magach Gal

hFYzrer.jpg

They all look great and you’ve done a real job on weathering them. Particularly like the look of that Caterpillar and the Magach. 

I myself have started my first ever ‘armour’ kit which is a Thunder Models Pioneer. Fantastic detail throughout and some really finicky pieces. The only addition I’ve used is some resin wheels. Maybe I’ll post some pictures once I’m done.

• Thanks 1

On 22/02/2024 at 20:11, Andy H said:

Another shout out for Tamiya's Pz38(t) it's a really nice kit...

20221026-161602.jpg

And Tamiya's Panzer IV AusfF really is one of those 'joy to build' kits you read about in reviews - nice crew figures, too...

20221112-010613.jpg

And Italeri's Sd. Kfz 232 6-rad looks nice when finished...

2.jpg

Very nice builds! The shape of the kfz 232 is so distinguishable with the long bonnet and antenna. Looks way ahead of its time.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Sharpscale said:

They all look great and you’ve done a real job on weathering them. Particularly like the look of that Caterpillar and the Magach.

Thank you. Best regards.

André 

• 1 month later...

Just finished the Scammell Recovery Tractor from Thunder Models which is the first 1/35 kit I’ve done since reentering the hobby and it was great. Fantastic detailing, no aftermarket’s necessary either. A few dodgy instructions but nothing that a bit of critical thinking can’t overcome. I’ll have to upload some pictures if I can figure out how to from my

mobile.

• Like 2