Favourite 1/35 kits of recent years?

Sharpscale

Hi All,

I was going to title this thread by asking people for their opinions on the best 1/35 kits of recent years, but thought the term ‘favourite’ was a better fit.

Anyway… What are people’s favourite kits from recent years? What kits stand out in terms of fit, accuracy, and niche-ness? 

I’ve heard good things about Mengs T-90 offering and then you can’t really go wrong with and of the recent Tamiya releases. What other kits stand out to people?

I could do with some inspiration as i normally build aircraft. I like the look of the Thunder Models Scammell but they’re hard to find.

Andy. 

21 hours ago, f matthews said:

-CAMs Vickers 6-Ton Series

-Miniart T-60 Series

-Miniart M3 Lee/Grant Series

The T-60s look like great little kits. I’m not sure you can go too wrong with anything Miniart if their T-55 offering is anything to go off. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sharpscale said:

The T-60s look like great little kits. I’m not sure you can go too wrong with anything Miniart if their T-55 offering is anything to go off. 

They are reasonably quick builds and extremely well-done.  Leagues above their old T-70M kits.

5 hours ago, vaoinas said:

Takom's Panther D and A kits with interior are definitely one of the best 

I've ever had in terms of, fit, accuraccy and detail.

A Takom Panther is currently highlighted on the ready for inspection page here and its bloody brilliant. I'm trying to get a hold of one for a decent price on eBay.

Anyone who knows me will recognise a bias here but for me, if you want relative accuracy, and good fit of parts, you can't go far wrong with Tamiya. I'm talking (obviously) Shemans here. Their M51, even though it's not new is a great kit. Better still, their fairly recent Easy 8 is first class. Another manufacturer that is top notch is Tasca/Asuka. Their Shermans are superb.

John.

• Like 2

On 15/05/2023 at 22:50, Stef N. said:

RFM's Challenger and Sturmtiger kits.

Meng's TSV Husky and Panther D kits.

How was the sturmtiger kit to build? Just seen a listing for it on eBay along with a voyager detail set which is quite tempting but would it need it? 

I do like the idea of building a massive little stumpy tank.

Edited by Sharpscale

30 minutes ago, Sharpscale said:

How was the sturmtiger kit to build? Just seen a listing for it on eBay along with a voyager detail set which is quite tempting but would it need it? 

I do like the idea of building a massive little stumpy tank.

The kit was great and filled with detail. You have a lot of stuff in the box with even a partial interior. (There's also a full interior one if you want.) I did get a Voyager set but I used it mostly on the older Tamiya kit, with quite a bit left over.

On 17/05/2023 at 16:13, Bullbasket said:

Anyone who knows me will recognise a bias here but for me, if you want relative accuracy, and good fit of parts, you can't go far wrong with Tamiya. I'm talking (obviously) Shemans here. Their M51, even though it's not new is a great kit. Better still, their fairly recent Easy 8 is first class. Another manufacturer that is top notch is Tasca/Asuka. Their Shermans are superb.

John.

Yep the recent comet release seems to be very popular and on the aircraft side of things their F14’s and F4’s are selling hot too. Have you tried out the RFM Firefly? 

• Like 1

I really enjoyed the AFV Club Churchills as even the very small fiddly parts that I was worried about fitted easily. They appear to have been their designers labour of love for the detail and fit.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sharpscale said:

Yep the recent comet release seems to be very popular and on the aircraft side of things their F14’s and F4’s are selling hot too. Have you tried out the RFM Firefly? 

Not yet. Still got  Dragon Firefly Hybrid and an Asuka Vc to wade through first.

John.

• 4 months later...

Heya, Folks, 

Absolute fun --- almost a joy! ---  assembling the Meng Models Namer IDF heavy APC! Not that I have painted it yet as I still need to mask all the glass. 

Nearly the same for the Tiger Models Nacmachon (late with doghouse and bar armor).. This kit build seemed to go on on and on and one, but was never boring or overly troublesome (okay, some of the slat armor was a bit tricky)!!! Managed to get this one base coated, at least... 

Just for contrast, can I throw in a "worst build in some time" candidate? Border Models Apocalypse Tank --- great subject but the indy link tracks and the LEDs requiring 90 degree bends (nope!) combined with a few other hiccups, made this the most unpleasant build in a long time.... Of course, take my critique with a grain of salt s "Modeler error" is always a possibility! The irony as that I am further long on paint on this one than the two far more pleasant builds noted above... 

Have purchased a second Nagmachon kit and plan to pick up another Namer at some point in the future. Great fun, those two!!

Happy Modeling!! 

With Regards and Aloha, 

Johnny B. 

• Like 2

Out of the sum total of 4 kits I've managed to complete, the AFV Club Scimitar has been my favourite ... apart from the fiddly individual link tracks I used! 

Keith 😁 

• Like 2

On 26/09/2023 at 16:47, KingCobra said:

I second to the Tiger Models Nagmachon, too. I really like the Meng IDF Doobie Caterpillar. I enjoyed that kit.

Have you got any pictures of it? Love the idea of doing a little tractor kit and there is one on Panzer Models that looks brilliant!

On 25/09/2023 at 04:21, JohnnyBros718 said:

Heya, Folks, 

Absolute fun --- almost a joy! ---  assembling the Meng Models Namer IDF heavy APC! Not that I have painted it yet as I still need to mask all the glass. 

Nearly the same for the Tiger Models Nacmachon (late with doghouse and bar armor).. This kit build seemed to go on on and on and one, but was never boring or overly troublesome (okay, some of the slat armor was a bit tricky)!!! Managed to get this one base coated, at least... 

Just for contrast, can I throw in a "worst build in some time" candidate? Border Models Apocalypse Tank --- great subject but the indy link tracks and the LEDs requiring 90 degree bends (nope!) combined with a few other hiccups, made this the most unpleasant build in a long time.... Of course, take my critique with a grain of salt s "Modeler error" is always a possibility! The irony as that I am further long on paint on this one than the two far more pleasant builds noted above... 

Have purchased a second Nagmachon kit and plan to pick up another Namer at some point in the future. Great fun, those two!!

Happy Modeling!! 

With Regards and Aloha, 

Johnny B. 

Thanks Johnny, I think the Nachmachon is one of those vehicles that is visually appealing despite being incredibly ugly. Perhaps  the utility of the vehicle  makes it look so good, providing lots of great weathering options. It strikes me as the sort of model that could be displayed by itself on a base. 

have you got a build thread for it? 

On 9/30/2023 at 12:57 AM, Sharpscale said:

Thanks Johnny, I think the Nachmachon is one of those vehicles that is visually appealing despite being incredibly ugly. Perhaps  the utility of the vehicle  makes it look so good, providing lots of great weathering options. It strikes me as the sort of model that could be displayed by itself on a base. 

have you got a build thread for it? 

Heya, Sharp!  

This was a Covid build, so alas, did not bother to take any pictures... That said, as soon as I can get myself set up with one of those free image storing/sharing services, I will try to post a few in-progress (meaning base-coated, but not painted, as it stands --- well sits --- right now ) pix of this ugly-beautiful beast...along with the unpainted Namer (still gotta get the glass masked, and add this little chain detail in two spots on the hull; same issue for the D9R, which has like ten million windows to mask (oofah)! And maybe pictures of a base-coated Academy Merkava IV and base-coated Achzarit...  

Yep, have a fairly large traffic jam --- very apropos considering I live in grid-locked Los Angeles --- of unbuilt or built-and-unpainted or built-and-base-coated kits... Sadly, painting is usually where projects hit a dead stop for me...part of that is me, as I do not enjoy the painting as much as I enjoy the build, detailing, etc... Throw in the weather --- it is often way too hot or, believe it or not,  too cold to go out to the garage and paint. So with this additional excuse, I've got the perfect recipe for projects to grind to halt and remain dormant (sigh), and unpainted, or just base-coated. 

That said, despite some ongoing airbrush and compressor issues, I have made progress painting the Border Models Apocalypse tank! This project was such a pain to assemble (no doubt, Modeler Error combined with some annoying aspects of the kit) that I am actually ENJOYING painting, which is a shocker for me! I will try to get some mediocre pictures of that in progress build up in the Science Fiction board as soon as I can get the image sharing thing figured out...

Back ta the Nagmachon... I absolutely agree, Sharp, that it is so unique that it would look great on a base onto itself. No diorama or vignette necessary. Definitely an eye catcher (kind of looks like a love child of a Dalek??) of a subject!!!

At last month's club meeting (Los Angeles Miniaturists), I was able to pick up another Tiger Models kit of this Nagmachon at a great price --- I rarely build the same kit twice, as I rarely finish the first kit first! ;) That said, in my paranoia that Tiger Models may or may not be defunct, I also went ahead and purchased their early version of the Nagmachon, without the doghouse or ("dawghouse" as we'd pronounce it back in The Bronx, while drinking our "cawfee"...), just the four shields with armored glass. 

And as much as I want to jump in on that one, first, before starting anything new, I HAVE to finish something!!! Hence, I continue to press on with that silly-but-interesting sci fi Apocalypse tank... Given family, work, and other commitments, I am hoping to have that silly two-barreled, four-tracked beast finished in a month or so...we shall see!

Thanks, Sharp --- really appreciate the encouragement!! You keep on building, bruddah!

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2023 at 7:30 PM, f matthews said:

-CAMs Vickers 6-Ton Series

-Miniart T-60 Series

-Miniart M3 Lee/Grant Series

In addition to these in the earlier post, I think I should add Miniart's T-34 Series-they are excellent builds and while the interior kits can be complex, they offer non-interior options and are the best T-34s out there I think.

52868180337_47394e8aaf_b.jpg 50793843901_ac4fb20044_b.jpg 50793096983_d1de18dff8_b.jpg 51834568176_33d82d6034_b.jpg

Edited by f matthews
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 30/09/2023 at 09:52, Sharpscale said:

Have you got any pictures of it? Love the idea of doing a little tractor kit and there is one on Panzer Models that looks brilliant!

I am on vacation at the moment (actually heading towards Saumur and its tank Museum now). Will show some pictures when back home in Germany.

• Like 2