Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant Mk I

This is my third build since returning to the hobby after a break of 36+ years.  So I am still very much in learning and catch-up mode.   I’ve always had a soft spot for the Defiant so decided to have a go.

The WIP is here

and you can see that it was not always straightforward for me.  But I survived and had some fun (also hopefully raised a few giggles along the way) and here are the results.  Thanks to all the people who encouraged, advised, provided expert subject knowledge and generally made life pleasanter when I was struggling a bit.

The Airfix kit went together very nicely.  I used After Market items for the first time: 

Air Master brass gun barrels and pitot probe,

BarracudaCast wheels and

Xtradecal RAF BoB sheet X72117.

I also butchered part of a turret glazing from Falcon Clear-Vax Canopies set no 2.

It was brush painted using Colourcoats Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky, supplemented with Humbrol 116 and other Humbrol enamels as needed for sundry bibs and bobs.   I used Humbrol Clear gloss and, after a disaster with a different product, Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear rattle can for the final matt coat.  This latter was a revelation to me – but as I said, I’m very much still in learning mode.   Exhaust and oil staining was done with artists pastels applied by dry or damp brush and cotton bud.  Other bits were done with simple watercolour paints.

I also have a positive shout-out for Airfix.  One of the “challenges” I had was that I managed to break the sliding part of the pilot’s canopy so badly that I couldn’t repair it.   Using the spares system on their web site, I was sent a replacement glazing sprue in only a few days.   I know others have had problems with this service, but I can only say that in my case it was excellent.

As the parasuit for the gunner is so synonymous with the Defiant, I felt obliged to try and include it somewhere so cheerfully butchered the kit figure to try and achieve this.  Normally I avoid figures altogether, so this was another first.

This is my first RFI, so I’m a little nervous.  But here goes

The model is supposed to represent Defiant Mk I L7026/PS-V of 264 Sqn RAF as it was in July 1940.  The over wing roundels appear in several photographs of the subject to be somewhat paler than “normal” so I spent quite some time trying replicate this with home made decals.    

Flying out of Rochford this aircraft was lost in combat near Dover 28/08/1940.  The crew PO's PL Kenner and CE Johnson did not survive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just to try and see whether the roundels do look paler in B&W ....

spacer.png

I really enjoyed this in the end despite some trials in the middle.  I've learnt a lot from the BM members who stoically followed my efforts  (again, thanks) as well as my own trial & error approach.

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

A wonderful build, Rob. It's one of Airfix's best 1/72 kits and you've brought something extra to it. The last photo is particularly evocative, and immediately reminded me of this famous shot:

spacer.png

IWM (CH 874)

All the best,

Ian

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, IanC said:

A wonderful build, Rob. It's one of Airfix's best 1/72 kits and you've brought something extra to it. The last photo is particularly evocative, and immediately reminded me of this famous shot:

IWM (CH 874)

All the best,

Ian

Thanks Ian, much appreciated.   Yes I did refer to this one amongst others,  so your comments all the more welcome.  Thanks.  One thing I have noticed since posting this is that the chap in  your photo is clinging on so as not to fall off due to the slope of the wing, he is more vertical relative to the ground.  My chap is defying the laws of physics ...... :rofl2:

cheers

Rob

• Haha 2

Such a lovely version of this great plane. For only your third recent build, you take a lot risks - aftermarket parts, converting a figure (and painting it, which is no small feat at this scale), homemade decals...that's more self-imposed challenges than most of us would take on. My only suggestion would be to give us a close-up or two, or perhaps post slightly larger file sizes; I'd love to see the inside of that turret. Great job and thanks for sharing - you've clearly thrown a lot of love and effort at this tiny plane. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TimT said:

Such a lovely version of this great plane. For only your third recent build, you take a lot risks - aftermarket parts, converting a figure (and painting it, which is no small feat at this scale), homemade decals...that's more self-imposed challenges than most of us would take on. My only suggestion would be to give us a close-up or two, or perhaps post slightly larger file sizes; I'd love to see the inside of that turret. Great job and thanks for sharing - you've clearly thrown a lot of love and effort at this tiny plane. 

Very kind of you Tim, thanks.

I realised I was being somewhat ambitious, but the thing that really threw me was an issue with varnish..  So I learned a lot there about "recovery actions" which will hopefully will be useful in future.  

Whilst I'm quite pleased with this build, I think I will leave the extreme close-ups for another time - my approach is "to give an impression of" rather than replicate exactly (I do have some awareness of my skills limitations :wink:).  I did one or 2 shots towards the end of the WIP that showed some of the grusome bits! 

Thanks again.

Rob

• Like 2

Rob,

Lovely build and finish and a most entertainig WIP. The Rhino suit is also a lovely touch,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Rob,

Lovely build and finish and a most entertainig WIP. The Rhino suit is also a lovely touch,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks a lot Roger.  Means a lot coming from you, and I appreciate the encouragement you've provided.   When it comes down to it, I like to see the funny side of things if I can and am pleased if I can raise a smile in others.

However, I think I need a simple build next time.  This chap on my shoulder just won't let me leave things well alone ..:devil:...... think I'll need to fob him off for a bit then do something* when he's not looking ...... :rofl:

cheers

Rob.

* - probably something hurricaneish ........ so I'm off to the reasearch rabbit hole!  Might even, in passing, find out why they call it a Rhino suit  :think:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

This is my third build since returning to the hobby after a break of 36+ years.  So I am still very much in learning and catch-up mode.   I’ve always had a soft spot for the Defiant so decided to have a go.

The WIP is here

and you can see that it was not always straightforward for me.  But I survived and had some fun (also hopefully raised a few giggles along the way) and here are the results.  Thanks to all the people who encouraged, advised, provided expert subject knowledge and generally made life pleasanter when I was struggling a bit.

The Airfix kit went together very nicely.  I used After Market items for the first time: 

Air Master brass gun barrels and pitot probe,

BarracudaCast wheels and

Xtradecal RAF BoB sheet X72117.

I also butchered part of a turret glazing from Falcon Clear-Vax Canopies set no 2.

It was brush painted using Colourcoats Dark Earth, Dark Green and Sky, supplemented with Humbrol 116 and other Humbrol enamels as needed for sundry bibs and bobs.   I used Humbrol Clear gloss and, after a disaster with a different product, Tamiya TS-80 Flat Clear rattle can for the final matt coat.  This latter was a revelation to me – but as I said, I’m very much still in learning mode.   Exhaust and oil staining was done with artists pastels applied by dry or damp brush and cotton bud.  Other bits were done with simple watercolour paints.

I also have a positive shout-out for Airfix.  One of the “challenges” I had was that I managed to break the sliding part of the pilot’s canopy so badly that I couldn’t repair it.   Using the spares system on their web site, I was sent a replacement glazing sprue in only a few days.   I know others have had problems with this service, but I can only say that in my case it was excellent.

As the parasuit for the gunner is so synonymous with the Defiant, I felt obliged to try and include it somewhere so cheerfully butchered the kit figure to try and achieve this.  Normally I avoid figures altogether, so this was another first.

This is my first RFI, so I’m a little nervous.  But here goes

The model is supposed to represent Defiant Mk I L7026/PS-V of 264 Sqn RAF as it was in July 1940.  The over wing roundels appear in several photographs of the subject to be somewhat paler than “normal” so I spent quite some time trying replicate this with home made decals.    

Flying out of Rochford this aircraft was lost in combat near Dover 28/08/1940.  The crew PO's PL Kenner and CE Johnson did not survive.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just to try and see whether the roundels do look paler in B&W ....

spacer.png

I really enjoyed this in the end despite some trials in the middle.  I've learnt a lot from the BM members who stoically followed my efforts  (again, thanks) as well as my own trial & error approach.

Thanks for looking

Rob

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, perdu said:

A superb result Rob.

The job,as we say. is a good 'un

Thanks Bill. 

I might not have persisted quite so much if it hadn't been for your patient and sound advice. 

:cheers:

Rob

• Like 1

For your third model back from an absence added to brush only painting, you have created a finished kit you should be proud.  Your figure looks the part so that is an added bonus.  It gives the kit life.  Thanks for sharing and look forward to more from you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, georgeusa said:

For your third model back from an absence added to brush only painting, you have created a finished kit you should be proud.  Your figure looks the part so that is an added bonus.  It gives the kit life.  Thanks for sharing and look forward to more from you.

Thank you very much, sir.

cheers

Rob

9 hours ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Well done Rob, 

That is a great looking model. You are definitely getting into the swing of modelling after your 36 year hiatus, and your Defiant is a great example of the skills you have. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

Thank you.  Wouldn't say I'm quite in the swing yet, but throughly enjoying it nonetheless.

cheers

Rob

Hi Rob,

Just wanted to add my two penn'orth and basically echo what everyone else has already said: One Excellent Daffy, Sir! You should be pleased and rightly so.

Looking forward to your next build!

All the best,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looks fantastic Rob, a great effort on your part has resulted in a superb model, like the exhaust effects too.

I know I said you had form previously for losing tailwheels!!! I have to say you're obviously now a reformed character as you kept this one 😉😁 Congratulations on that and a superb build.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

you're obviously now a reformed character as you kept this one 😉😁

Haha! Chris thanks, much appreciated.  

Just shows what a bad judge of character you are though!!  :D   You wouldn't believe the lengths to which I went so as not to knock this one off and have to admit I'd done it again!!   But next time.......?          Think I'll post a scorecard along the lines of 

Models constructed = x,   Tailwheels used = x+2    (which is actually true at the moment!)  :rofl2:

cheers

Rob

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, tomkil said:

Great job.  Looking at that last photo though makes me wonder what the chances were of managing to bail out if the need arose!

Thanks.  

I entirely agree that it looks a bit scary if one thinks about it.  As an alternative to getting out the way you came in, there was an emergency hatch in the floor (there's an outline of it on the fuselage underneath).  But the sketches I've seen make it look very tight and the aerial wire would be just another obstacle as well!!   Hmmm ....... 🤔      They were brave chaps.

cheers

Rob