1/24 Hellcat!

This is the result of 6 months worth of work. The Airfix 1/24 Hellcat. Quite frankly an incredible kit to build. Considering there's close to 600 parts I had to use absolute minimal filler. The interior is a tight fit so mating surfaces have to be clear of paint or you'll have issues. The entire model is directly oob with no add ons as you honestly don't need any. The fit is really very good. I just wish I had sanded the plastic smooth prior to painting as the grainy surface is visible under the paint. I can tell you I sanded each layer of paint and gave it several gloss coats plus an absolute ton of Tamiya polishing compound from coarse to finish and it's almost mirror like in finish. The reason I went with such a high shine is because of the stressed skin effect and this shows it better. Overall this is easily the best kit I've made and no details were omitted from the box that I could tell. The folded wing is not glued in place as it hides a lot of the plane so it can be removed. So please enjoy the photos. I am going to celebrate this with a cold beer and think about the next project. I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

If anyone has any questions about this kit just ask away. I decided to give this a clean finish as the details speak for themselves and I think weathering it might hide the sheer fantastic moulded surfaces of this kit. Overall this is in my opinion better than the Tamiya 1/32 F-16 which I think is so good I've built it twice. I'm not a WW2 enthusiast but as I built this I learned about it and have to say I actually really like this aeroplane. If Airfix decides to do a 1/24 Zero I'll have an opposite number sitting on my shelf as I'll definitely be buying it. The parts which I anticipated difficulty such as the engine were surprisingly easy to assemble and paint. I actually built the engine fully wires and all before painting. Like I said the tolerances on this kit leave ZERO space for adjusting so painting is a step that you need to consider when fitting. Anyway enough of my essay here. Enjoy the photos. Somehow they never look as good as on real life but hey ho. I'm going to grab a cold beer and put my feet up and enjoy my work. Cheers everyone!

• Like 72
  • Thanks 2

29 minutes ago, VolkerR. said:

That finish is awesome!

Thanks man I almost got obsessed with buffing the surface lol

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, petetasker said:

Spectacular mate. I’m rather hoping Airfix might see fit to rerelease this soon.

Didn't know it was out of production. If they do be sure to smooth the plastic before painting so you've a superb finish.

Just now, Deano353 said:

Didn't know it was out of production. If they do be sure to smooth the plastic before painting so you've a superb finish.

I was thinking of a wrecked drone conversion so the finish might be a bit rough to say the least.

• Like 1

Outstanding!  That finish is shinier than my car, and that's saying something! 

It's a chunk of a kit, and no doubt looks great displayed. 

I too hope for a re-release .... it's had many good reviews. 

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, petetasker said:

I was thinking of a wrecked drone conversion so the finish might be a bit rough to say the least.

Fair enough. To be honest the amount of work required in this is a lot. Although if you're going to do a wrecked drone at least you've the interior details included.

3 minutes ago, Keeff said:

Outstanding!  That finish is shinier than my car, and that's saying something! 

It's a chunk of a kit, and no doubt looks great displayed. 

I too hope for a re-release .... it's had many good reviews. 

Keith 😁 

Yeah a chunk of a kit is right lol. It must weigh close to a kilogram or there abouts. The landing gear is solid though so no worries there.

• Like 1

A major project, outstanding finish and a pleasure to look at, Airfix seem to have got these big scale kits bang on, built the Typhoon a few years ago and loved every minute.

• Like 1

Yes they absolutely did! I'm hoping they decide to make a Zero or perhaps a retool of their Stuka. Man it was a lot of work but worth it 

I have a few more photos i forgot to post yesterday. Glad the finish came out so well myself. It's actually too light a shade of blue but I think it works slightly better as the details are more visible.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3