M2A2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle - Completed

JTninja

Hello all,

Picked up Trumpeters 1/72 M2A2 Bradley kit recently after it was announced my country has donated a good number to Ukraine. I know very little about this vehicle, but my understanding is its an effective weapon and will be very helpful in the near future as Ukraine attempts to remove their enemy from their country.

blwueGN.jpg

zf2oz7s.jpg

I've never built any Armor kits before, so this will be a first for me. I also plan to learn how to apply panel washes and weathering to the finish, something I actively avoid and have little experience with.  However, 2 weeks ago was my local IPMS show, and a majority of the tanks there (well over a hundred) had weathering, which looked great. I've started watching some videos on youtube about it, but if anyone has advice, im all ears. 

Hopefully I can finish this before I have to add ERA 😆

Edited by JTninja
Edited title
  • Like 7

As someone nearing the end of his first armour build, I've found it a lot of fun. Keep the wheels and tracks off the vehicle until painting and the initial weathering to the lower hull are done, then add & weather the wheels & tracks. It's also good to keep the turret off until the end, so you have more access to everything. As for painting the tracks, I made a 50/50 mix of Tamiya XF-52 and XF-69, then added a dash of XF-9 to give a very slight red/rusty hint, which gave a perfect base colour for them.

James

• Like 1

I will be interested to see how it compares with the Revell version I have recently built over in the TLC GB.

Pete

• Like 1

Excellent start.

I am trying to learn to use panel wash and weathering myself. There is a lot of tutorial information available on line and I have read a lot but I think the best way to learn (after reading from the experts) is just to give it a try. I shall enjoy seeing how you get on. Good luck I am cheering from the sidelines.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Time for a big update.

The build has continued over the past month, and though I've tried to continue taking pictures, I haven't managed to update the thread. 

Weathering the lower hull before wheels get added

NxXgDXi.jpg

Start of the turret.

KY0KTc0.jpg

Interior work, rear seats installed, panel lining to floor

SJk6HRv.jpg

Interior finished 

hGKIZvn.jpg

A look when the upper hull is in place

cUCtkfu.jpg

Exterior parts being painted green, which will be the base layer for the Ukrainian pixel camouflage. 

jMrUyFx.jpg

And where im at now, with the upper and lower hull joined, with the start of the pixel camo.

rivphSv.jpg

• Like 8

That's all looking very good, especially the interior. Is that from the kit, or have you scratch built some?

James

• Like 1

Thanks all!

On 6/17/2023 at 11:08 PM, AdrianMF said:

Is the pixel camo decal?

No, Im not aware of pixel decals I would be able to use. Im instead having to hand paint, using a toothpick. 

9 hours ago, 81-er said:

Is that from the kit, or have you scratch built some?

Yep, all from the kit. Trumpeter did a pretty good job filling up the inside, not sure how accurate but it looks the part.

Tracks are on both sides, so its sitting on rubber. Continuing the camo, which is a bit slow going. Hoping to get it finished over the next week. Once I get my tripod back, I'll post better quality images. 

pAZUOfB.jpg

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, JTninja said:

Continuing the camo, which is a bit slow going.

I am wondering if that may the the understatement of this GB! Doing that camo would certainly put my Not My Comfort Zone level absolutely stratospheric. But oh boy, isn't it effective

Ray

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JTninja said:

toothpick

Wow! I can't begin to imagine how that works (but I can see it works very well). I'm guessing you are using a shaped one and taking advantage of its rectangularity.

Any chance of a picture to clarify your technique?

...and another "wow!" because it looks so-o-o neat.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

All that pixel cami would definitely not be in my comfort zone. It looks impressive, as does the interior detail

Martin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all for the kind comments!

On 6/19/2023 at 1:04 AM, AdrianMF said:

Wow! I can't begin to imagine how that works (but I can see it works very well). I'm guessing you are using a shaped one and taking advantage of its rectangularity.

Any chance of a picture to clarify your technique?

...and another "wow!" because it looks so-o-o neat.

Regards,

Adrian

I start with a small pool of paint, and dip a toothpick in, leaving a small blob of paint on the end of the pick. 

InCMfdg.jpg

Then I lightly place the pick against the base coat, allowing some paint to to slide onto the model.

U76PtWC.jpg

Slowly and carefully, start to spread the paint around into a desired shape. For straight lines, especially with corners, I recommend a pointier toothpick. 

TkLy9rV.jpg

And then I continue on with the pattern. When paint starts to build up on the pick, I wipe it on a paper towel. If too much paint gets picked up, too much might go on the model.

HI67M2H.jpg

And then after 3 weeks, you have a camo pattern 😆

fMmeEp0.jpg

Now waiting on panel wash and pigments to arrive. I figure it will be easier to muddy up the wheels and tracks before the side skirts go on. 

Edited by JTninja
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic.

That's such an exercise in both precision and consistency. You have managed to keep to the same size and scale all over. Thanks for the explanation.

You're clearly the sort who laughs at Saab Viggen splinter camo...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Pigment arrived, so its time to get uncomfortable.

Bradley's have been getting dirty pretty quickly towards the front. A fore and aft view 

RwlTRXp.jpg

SVVY2W4.jpg

Pigment used us Rubble from Ammo by Mig. Pigment is place on the surface, and enamel thinner is carefully applied. I also tried applying a wash on one of the skirts, and will see how it looks once pigment is placed over.

UdwbdvV.jpg

zi5rOkC.jpg

This is going to take lots of experimenting.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think I'm done. It's a bit overweathered, but it'll do. Just need finish taking picture and submit before the deadline. I enjoyed building this kit, went together pretty well and only need minor modifications for fitment. Would build again. 

D28LhTm.jpg

4VjAmSb.jpg

Thanks for joining me in this build!

• Like 6

Super result JT! The camo pattern still stands out and the weathering looks realistic, even if it's a bit more than you wanted. A great excursion out of you comfort zone. Thanks for joining in!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2