Gloster Meteor F.8, the MiG Killer: Airfix 1/48

My version of the RAAF’s Meteor F. 8, flown by George Hale of 77 Squadron, stationed in Korea. In 1953, Hale famously shot down two MiG 15s - an opponent that outclassed the Meteor on many levels - earning Hale and his mount the famous sobriquet ‘MiG Killer’.  Apparently the Meteor was better-suited to low altitude ground attacks; however, its elongated lines make it look faster, more graceful and more futuristic than perhaps it was.

This is the Airfix kit, and it went together like most other recent Airfix kits - easily, for the most part, with an economic parts break-down and some satisfying engineering. No nose weight is called for in the instructions, but it needs a load to stay balanced on its tricycle undercarriage (as did the real plane; the F.4 required 1000lbs of front-end ballast, apparently) . As has been noted, fit of the nose over the front wheel cover is difficult, requiring shaving down both parts to get a satisfying join.  There were also annoying sink marks on every missile head and on a couple of other pieces, but these didn’t destroy the fun of the build.

I used Tamiya lacquer LP 11 to represent High Speed Silver. I bought a bottle of Mission Model Paints for this, but it was like porridge and had to be binned. The Tamiya paint went on easily, and is opaque even when very diluted. I tried to show restraint with weathering, but nevertheless wanted to give a sense of heft and purpose to the airframe. Also, I was moved by the dismembered parts of an F.8 I saw at RAF Tangmere, beautifully decaying in the car park; it certainly informed some my choices as I painted.

Plenty of self-induced errors that hopefully aren’t too obvious. Perfection eludes me every time, but that’s always one motivation to move on to the next one.

Thanks for looking. 

f8_5

f8_4

f8_6

f8_2

f8_9

f8_7 f8_8 f8_10 f8_11

• Like 69
  • Thanks 2

Metallic colors are difficult to apply and look good. But harder is to make a metallic look convincingly dirty and used.

This is an example that although difficult it can be achieved.

Congratulations, good job !!!

Andrés.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Metallic colors are difficult to apply and look good. But harder is to make a metallic look convincingly dirty and used.

This is an example that although difficult it can be achieved.

Congratulations, good job !!!

Andrés.

Thanks for the kind words, Andrés!

2 hours ago, petetasker said:

Lovely build - very convincing. Have to say the Airfix 1/48 Meteor is one of my favourite kits and you've done it justice.

Thank you, Pete! It's a well done kit, for sure. Great to see Airfix making good versions of these great early British jets. 

And thanks for the other comments too. I appreciate you taking the time to look and write something - always meaningful. 

• Like 1