453rd BG Museum Build - P-51D Mustang - East Wretham (Green Nosed) 370th FS "CisCo" (using the Tamiya 1/48 kit)

Oh my @Terry1954 sorry to hear about your sister. I’m sorry I didn’t reply sooner. 😔 my condolences.  I’m sure she would love your dedication after getting you into the hobby. ❤️ Excellent plastic progress on the run up to Christmas. If you could make the build last just till about the summer so we can have another jolly that would be great. 
Merry Christmas my friend. 🎄🍷

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Wow, has it been 5 months since I posted anything on this one. Time flies and many things come to pass in life.

Thanks for all your christmas wishes, and condolences. We had my sister's funeral during January which meant the much wider family got together (as happens at such events), and I've been very busy with 1:1 stuff and helping one of my sons sort the garden out at his new house, as well as spending time with the new grandson.

I'm still waiting for my glider flight which has been postponed around four times so far this year, due to weather. Currently scheduled for 8th June 🤞

I did manage to go powered flying again with my old school pal Malcolm. We reckoned the aircraft was getting on for our age, but she proved as reliable as ever.

IMG20240320111431

This time we flew over my house!

When we bought the house in 2015, one of our criteria was proximity to a local pub. We determined that it had to be within walking distance (say up to 2 miles max). We have a gate at the end of our garden which, after walking 9 paces, leads to another gate into the beer garden. My house is the red roofed building. I think we nailed that requirement!

IMG20240320115508

We also managed to fit a holiday in and spent a pleasant week walking in the Gower Peninsula which enabled me to confirm for sure that my legs are pretty well recovered from all the shenanigans of the past couple of years. We managed an average of 8 miles per day over the 7 days, which I didn't think was too bad for an old geezer in his 70th year with dodgy legs!

The walking actually seems to have improved things also.

Some pics of the Gower ...........

IMG20240516150129

IMG20240515162733

IMG20240514153437

Mrs T deciding which way to go.

IMG20240514152200

The weather was reasonably kind to us, as we only had one day of rain!

I'm actually sort of up and running in the new hobby space with some storage cupboards and more shelving to fit yet, but I have space again and can get back to the bench. There has been some modelling of heavy metal things with tracks and there are several close to their RFI's which will come in due course.

A colleague and I have also started this year's "tuition" days at the Tank Museum, helping a couple of young budding modellers ease their way into the hobby. My charge is building a Tamiya Chieftain, and he's doing a pretty good job at it.

I got the P-51 out of its box last night to assess where I was at, and managed to do a few small tasks.....

Remove replacement resin U/C doors from the "runners) and clean up. 

IMG20240520205638

IMG20240520211401

The resin tabs that enable the doors to fit into the top of the U/C legs on the Airies parts were so small I managed to break both, so I cut off the ones from the kit parts and used those, seen at the top of the two long doors.

Some drilling out of the exhaust ports...

IMG20240520211211

IMG20240520212811

A quick clean up and attaching the two halves of the wing tanks

IMG20240520211534

Some quick etch work (as you do) for the under fuselage air outlet(?), seen here compared to the kit part. I'm not convinced I'll use the etch as the kit part looks ok, perhaps after some thinning of the walls.

IMG20240520211616

And finally, the tailplanes are on, so we can almost fly!

IMG20240520213912

Those joins need some attention, but at least I'm back in the groove.

More soon hopefully

T

• Like 19

It's great to hear things are much more positive now, Terry, especially that your legs are playing ball again. A bit of progress on the Mustang is also good to see :D

James

• Thanks 1

Lots of good news here, Terry! :thumbsup: 

The house location relative to the pub is pure genius, though.... :rofl:  :rofl:  :beer: 

Ciao

• Haha 3

Great to see this one (and you) back. I'm glad to hear the legs are working as they should once more!

Ian

• Thanks 1

Sorry to hear of your sisters passing Terry, must have been a difficult year for you. 

I learned to fly on Cherokees back in 1988 on an RAF flying scholarship. Sadly, the aircraft I did my first solo in was involved in a fatal crash in 2011 in Switzerland, G-BBEF.

Great to see the Mustang back on the bench :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Good news all round Terry, on the leg front ( that doesn’t sound right, but I’m sure you know what I mean ) and the Mustang front.

When do you start running?

John

• Haha 3

On 21/05/2024 at 16:18, giemme said:

Lots of good news here, Terry! :thumbsup: 

The house location relative to the pub is pure genius, though.... :rofl:  :rofl:  :beer: 

Ciao

I thought I'd cracked it with a walk to the end of the cul-de-sac and hang a right for twenty metres to my local but I cede victory to you old friend.

You don't even have a hill to climb on the 'totter home' phase of your journey.

All hail Terry the Pub Whisperer.

Still a nice 'stang too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 21/05/2024 at 10:31, Terry1954 said:

We have a gate at the end of our garden which, after walking 9 paces, leads to another gate into the beer garden.

Now that’s some fine location planning! 🤩😂

Glad to hear you’re doing well and “The leg” is up and running again.🦿 The Mustang is looking very good. I’m particularly impressed with your drilling of the exhausts. Mine always seem to go off and rarely hit the centre points. 

Hope the Mojo stays strong dear boy.

Johnny

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1