RAAF Vampire Target Tug - Now Finished

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Some rapid progress - coming along nicely!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, the kit is very nice and very well engineered and it went together very quickly, just some minor clean up and a small amount of filler and there will be yellow paint soon

Chris

• Like 3

I do like the Vampire - even better with stripes! Interested to see how the new Airfix kit comes together as well.  Great progress too date - and quick!  

• Thanks 1

Another great project Chris !!

Yellow and stripes... What a great idea !!

I'll follow up if you don't mind it !!

I'll seat at the bar... Errr Quietly ????.....

You guys with the Vampire are givin' me some itching to start one or rwo or even 5 :rofl2::rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ianwau said:

I do like the Vampire - even better with stripes! Interested to see how the new Airfix kit comes together as well.  Great progress too date - and quick!  

Thanks Ian I love the TT schemes and I likevpainting the yellow too, very satisfying building up the coats by brush.

It's a lovely kit so far with just the fuselage by the cockpit needing fettling, although that could have been my own making🙄

5 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Another great project Chris !!

Yellow and stripes... What a great idea !!

I'll follow up if you don't mind it !!

I'll seat at the bar... Errr Quietly ????.....

You guys with the Vampire are givin' me some itching to start one or rwo or even 5 :rofl2::rofl2:

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, great to have you along, it's a lovely kit CC, have you got some in the stash, you'll love it/them, crikey 5!!! Looking forward to seeing you start a thread fella.

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Wow, that was fast.

Nice work, Chris

Coming along at a pace

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  it's a very simple cockpit really hence why so quick, will getcsome more done later hopefully.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of each issued by Hobbycraft, bought in the '90s

A special Hobby one and the Airfix one....

Then I want to convert at least one as a Sea Vampire....

Crazy ?? Me ??

CC

• Like 3

13 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

One of each issued by Hobbycraft, bought in the '90s

A special Hobby one and the Airfix one....

Then I want to convert at least one as a Sea Vampire....

Crazy ?? Me ??

CC

Crikey CC  you'll have some fun there, the Hobbycraft ones don't seem to compare favourably from what I have seen online.  The Sea Vampire conversion will be interesting,  larger flaps  and the arrestor hook Fairing, looking forward to that one

CC

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is going together really quickly Chris. It'll soon be time to get the yellow paint and hairy stick out. You seem to be operating at full mojo capacity, it's great to see.

I do miss the speed at which an aeroplane appears with a kit. My brother started the new 1/24 Spitfire only a couple of weeks ago and has the wings and engine on already. 

Richie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, RichieW said:

This is going together really quickly Chris. It'll soon be time to get the yellow paint and hairy stick out. You seem to be operating at full mojo capacity, it's great to see.

I do miss the speed at which an aeroplane appears with a kit. My brother started the new 1/24 Spitfire only a couple of weeks ago and has the wings and engine on already. 

Richie

Thanks Richie it's quite simple to assemble, just sticking in so.e nose weight and will start adding the external FB.31 bits.

Usually I am a bit slower,  that Spitfire will take me a lot longer to build too 😉

Chris

• Like 3

Hi all

This is where I am at at the mo.

spacer.png

I have paused to look at my options.  The aircraft in the images kindly posted by Ed, show the restored aircraft painted to represent the TT, but it is a mixture of bits from other airframes such as wings etc.  The FB.31 has tge clipped wingtip and that one has the rounded F.30 wings, looks like the UC is the short undercarriage too, I need to decide whether to model the museum aircraft or whether to do the FB.31 proper with the squared off wingtip and all yellow tail booms , more procrastination needed.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi all

This is where I am at at the mo.

spacer.png

I have paused to look at my options.  The aircraft in the images kindly posted by Ed, show the restored aircraft painted to represent the TT, but it is a mixture of bits from other airframes such as wings etc.  The FB.31 has tge clipped wingtip and that one has the rounded F.30 wings, looks like the UC is the short undercarriage too, I need to decide whether to model the museum aircraft or whether to do the FB.31 proper with the squared off wingtip and all yellow tail booms , more procrastination needed.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

Crikey Chris - you'll be throwing around yellow paint before we know it! Looking good,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Crikey Chris - you'll be throwing around yellow paint before we know it! Looking good,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, yes won't  be long now.  I can't wait to get started, but I must be patient as want to get as right as poss.

Chris

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Jings, you're absolutely motoring on with this.

Looking forward to the yellow.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  it will slow down now, but hopefully will look good when done

Chris

• Like 2

On 5/13/2023 at 4:20 AM, wellsprop said:

I was unable to confirm what happened to the bulkhead. Made more confusing as I believe the Swiss retrofitted bang seats.

https://www.dehavillandmuseum.co.uk/aircraft/de-havilland-dh100-vampire-fb-6/

I compared images of the Vampire F3 and FB6 and FB30/31 - the slanted panel line, immediately aft of the seat remains in the same place, looking at cutaways, this appears to be the location of the aft cockpit bulkhead. Walkaround photos didn't show anything clearly enough.

As it is, it's a cramped dark cockpit, once the seat is in there, it looks ok!

The bulkhead in the 30/31 is in the same location as the non bang seat equipped aircraft  but it does not have a large vertical cut out as often thought.

The cut out is heavily slanted, it is small at the bottom are larger at the top, the seat sit in roughly the same position as a non bang seat but is heavily slanted back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, NAVY870 said:

The bulkhead in the 30/31 is in the same location as the non bang seat equipped aircraft  but it does not have a large vertical cut out as often thought.

The cut out is heavily slanted, it is small at the bottom are larger at the top, the seat sit in roughly the same position as a non bang seat but is heavily slanted back.

Thanks NAVY870, I saw that on a build link the Ed shared, but was too late for me to change unfortunately as all buttoned up.  Once the seat is in hopefully will look okay and the scheme will distract viewers 😉

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NAVY870 said:

Thanks for confirming - at least my design is half correct!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

too late for me to change unfortunately as all buttoned up.  Once the seat is in hopefully will look okay and the scheme will distract viewers

That's the spirit!  It's always the way - buttoning it up was the trigger point for new info to come to light!  Certainly a distracting scheme - so doubt anyone will know (unless you tell them of course!).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ianwau said:

That's the spirit!  It's always the way - buttoning it up was the trigger point for new info to come to light!  Certainly a distracting scheme - so doubt anyone will know (unless you tell them of course!).

Yes  , sods law is always the way of things, I hope they will be distracted by the scheme and hope I can do it justice Ian.

Chris

• Like 2

Wow, Chris, just spotted this thread and you've almost finished - I hadn't realised there was a blitz build on 😉

Seriously, though, you're making great progress on this one, and the TT scheme looks brilliant. It's almost enough to distract me into trying one myself!

Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wow, Chris, just spotted this thread and you've almost finished - I hadn't realised there was a blitz build on 😉

Seriously, though, you're making great progress on this one, and the TT scheme looks brilliant. It's almost enough to distract me into trying one myself!

Cheers,

Mark

Me too Man, you're fully understood....:cheers:

Well done Chris...

I got that same kind of info coming out with the F-22....

Soooo, that's the way it is....

Then, you're fast on this one !! Blitz build for sure !!

Meeep meeep and the paint is on....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark 😄blitz build, I like it.  It's a lovely kit and goes together well so you just can help it , slowing down now though .  You'll enjoy this kit.  Treat yourself fella, take the raffle ticket book and stick one on and if challenged by the domestic authorities you can say, look what I won dear:whistle:

2 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Me too Man, you're fully understood....:cheers:

Well done Chris...

I got that same kind of info coming out with the F-22....

Soooo, that's the way it is....

Then, you're fast on this one !! Blitz build for sure !!

Meeep meeep and the paint is on....

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks CC, yes there is not too much info, but I have been vert kindly helped and have now just got to make a decision as to which one I build now as each one has different wingtips.

It is a great little kit so far so it went together very quickly, but been working on the Seafire 1b too so no progress on this for the last couple of days.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2