1/72 - General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon by Platz Hobby - design model

Homebee

Interesting, curious to learn more. 

edit: Wow from Platz: that's an unusual announcement for a manufacturer usually focussed on Japanese subjects... The fin ECM/ para housing points to future European variants. Could it be a joint project with a European manufacturer? 

Much as I like some Platz kits, their F-15 was a letdown, particularly the (IMO) poorly moulded canopy and heavy panel lines. Hoping for improvements here. The separate engine on a trolley is a nice idea. They did that with the T-33 as well.

Jay

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon by Platz Hobby

@ttyng0904 can I kindly ask for your help to translate the text in the above image?

Using google translate, the text reads:

Scheduled to be sold in 2023

1/72 Israeli F 16 A "Netz" block 10

However the Netz did not have the base of the fin extension as shown in the above image, this is a feature found on the F 16 C/D Barak. 

Either google translate is wrong or maybe this hints to future European versions as Mountain goat suggested. Either way, great news!

Edited by Roel_D

• Homebee changed the title to 1/72 - General Dynamics F-16A Fighting Falcon by Platz Hobby - design model

F-16A with "beer cans"? This is likely going to be a European MLU dedicated kit.

Nice that they are giving optionally positionable flight surfaces and a nicely detailed engine though, hopefully engineered to pull out.

11 minutes ago, Robertone139 said:

F-16A with "beer cans"? This is likely going to be a European MLU dedicated kit.

Nice that they are giving optionally positionable flight surfaces and a nicely detailed engine though, hopefully engineered to pull out.

14 hours ago, Roel_D said:

@ttyng0904 can I kindly ask for your help to translate the text in the above image?

However the Netz did not have the base of the fin extension as shown in the above image, this is a feature found on the F 16 C/D Barak. 

Either google translate is wrong or maybe this hints to future European versions as Mountain goat suggested. Either way, great news!

AFAIK early F-16A and B had the smaller horizontal stabilisers up to Block 20 or 25, hadn't they?
It could be an MLU but I can se no birdslicer antennas at the nose.

The smaller horizontal stabilizers have been replaced starting with block 15 and onwards.

To note, many of the early block 5 and 10 have been retrofitted later on with the larger 30% stabilizers. 

The "beer cans" RWR (part of the AN/ALR 56M) are present on the  F 16 A/B of Denmark, Taiwan and Indonesia.

Looking again at the above images, a more plausible explanation is that we are being shown a sample of a modular kit (and not a specific variant) such as Kinetic's version , where the "beer cans" come in molded onto the wings and will require sanding off to match the correct version.

This being good news since it implies that multiple users/versions are being pursued.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 11:16 PM, Roel_D said:

I know little about the F-16 but is finally growing on me. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Roel_D said:

Looking again at the above images, a more plausible explanation is that we are being shown a sample of a modular kit (and not a specific variant) such as Kinetic's version , where the "beer cans" come in molded onto the wings and will require sanding off to match the correct version.

This being good news since it implies that multiple users/versions are being pursued.

Agree this shows indications of catering for multiple variants with alternate parts, which is not surprising in order to maximize the manufacturer's ROI given the similarities across most F-16 sub-types.  However it seems they may be conflating similar shapes and details between variants.   Maybe it's just the angle and state of finish for this test shot, but I'm seeing some potential accuracy issues with the "tail sting."

On the A/B's extended tail (parabrake/ECM housing), the vertical sides of the extension don't splay outward, they basically run straight back - good illustration HERE  Note the 'step' between upper vertical tail and the base only starts just around the rudder leading edge, not due to the base getting wider but because the upper portion is tapering back toward the trailing edge.

Some C/D blocks have a similar tail extension that matches the contours of the winder tail base of the later marks, again without any significant contour change in the vertical sides aft of the leading edge:

spacer.png

What the Platz sample seems to show is an aft extension of C/D width mated to the narrower A/B forward tail base, adding a contour change between the two that doesn't exist on any real variant AFAIK.

10 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Well, no shortage of exotic markings for F-16s, that's something you should like 😀

👍👍 but lets’s hope they dont fall in to the “its got to be Israeli first” mindset! Think US, Norwegian, Danish, Polish, Romanian, Greece (my favourite), Turkish, Portuguese, Italian, Dutch, Belgian, Jordanian, Egyptian, Bahraini, UAE, Venezuelan (probably my next favourite :) ), Chilean, and many  more :)

• Like 3

On 5/13/2023 at 5:53 AM, CT7567 said:

Agree this shows indications of catering for multiple variants with alternate parts, which is not surprising in order to maximize the manufacturer's ROI given the similarities across most F-16 sub-types.  However it seems they may be conflating similar shapes and details between variants.   Maybe it's just the angle and state of finish for this test shot, but I'm seeing some potential accuracy issues with the "tail sting."

On the A/B's extended tail (parabrake/ECM housing), the vertical sides of the extension don't splay outward, they basically run straight back - good illustration HERE  Note the 'step' between upper vertical tail and the base only starts just around the rudder leading edge, not due to the base getting wider but because the upper portion is tapering back toward the trailing edge.

Thank you for pointing this out, @CT7567 and good eye for details!

I think your observation is valid, however given that these are SLAs, the transition might be exaggerated. 

On the real aircraft the transition starts very smoothly approximatively mid way between the leading edge of the fin and the leading edge of the rudder and then bulges out closer to the leading edge of the rudder (all images from Airliners.net):

YyVEGv2.png

Here  and here .

Edited by Roel_D

I love all things Viper.  And with Tamiya not releasing any new F-16s any time soon (and since it is Tamiya, they might not ever), i am interested in this.  But we'll see how it looks when we can look at a test build at least.

• Like 1

Below renders have been kindly provided by Waltersons Japan and I have to commend and thank them for their responsiveness to my inquires and for allowing me to share these here. Also of note, Platz is the distributor for Waltersons Japan.

What we see below is an F 16 block 5-10 (small stabilizers and early gun vent):

1fiuQPt.png

AlpNhFk.png

Iz3c8lA.png

wCOP7m6.png

zcxXMfV.png

mIkOiZR.png

Edited by Roel_D
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I'm afraid people are getting too excited about this, thinking it's a new state of the art kit as we modellers like. Here's how it looks built up:

https://www.facebook.com/fovhobbies/posts/pfbid025xA9c2yWTXqwSm6M2HdcEUTMXptVDxuDQByobwWKDXbEhj1svQEwtMYXpsT2CMYul?locale=nl_NL

It's more a war gaming model, than a kit. I for sure wouldn't pay $99USD (!) for it.

• Thanks 1

Ok, so what’s the problem?! (The price aside) Is it those panel lines and rivet holes? Because I’m thinking: finally a modern fighter I can file, sand, be liberal with the glue and brush paint and won’t lose any details! 😀

By the way, if that’s the build resulting from those renders how come it has the late gun vent?

This was probably obvious for everyone else, but I clearly missed it until @Creepy Pete shared the FB post :).

We are dealing with a diecast model (nose, fuselage and wings). This explains why it is offered as preassembled and prepainted (and also its price tag).

I would hold on to the Tamiya/Revell kits for now :).