1/16 Takom Renault FT "Rule Breaker"

Ned

I have a self-imposed "nothing bigger than a Panzer III" rule because I just don't have the space at home, but then I found myself watching a few videos of large scale tank builds and we all know where that ends up!

This being my first non-1/35 kit I've had the moment when you open the box and realise that twice the scale = 8 times the size, so this little beauty is going to dwarf everything else that I have built.

It has a full interior and engine compartment, so it's going to be slow and steady.

No AM as yet, but it does seem to be missing any ammunition which I will possibly need to do something about.

6KiwjesmULmuIAJAUbekh8FpEzmje1eG4gRdAIAv

• Like 10

Welcome along Ned with a great choice!

I have seen this model being built and it's great, especially in this scale, being not a large tank (but in this scale it is quite large) it suits this scale perfectly. I have one of Takom's Wiesel Mk.20's partially built (a common occurrence with me) and it's a really nice model.

Hopefully we'll get to see other models from this 1/16th range.

Good luck with the build, it'll be another one to follow with interest.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't quite start it yet as I have a 1/35 Mercedes truck to finish first.

Loving the pics of giant boxes taking up benches. I had to move mine to the dining room for these pictures because I have a tiny build space that I have to clear away every day so that I can work.

Big box, Devilry used by Takom because I can't get them back in and still put the lid on!

TPF8TxTvJ0BIUGeM_sL5fANU4WgPoc3YkjugMQea

12 sprues, half a dining table covered.

iM-Act_S7AkhW9pdCIPMQ7f195sqdbnqyHJpv-lD

Not many steps, but there's a lot going on in each one.

pCklXW95ITBfZQ-N4nBKIlVF_bD_JySURCvxSPij

Can't wait! I'll get the tracks out of the way first, just so that 3 sprues are done and dusted, and I can get the lid back on the box.

I've drawn a blank with any aftermarket ammunition. It is all out of production and no longer available. Maybe that gives me permission to close up some hatches and focus on the engine and drivers station. 

• Like 6

gee there is a lot of lovely look sprue there. I have seen a build of one of these, a super nice kit.

Yes the wizardry used to full these boxes, I have quite a few like that, MiniArt is the worse, bit are packed so tightly/efficiently that there is absolutely no spare space at all.....and then you have Revell.....you could basically loose a model in their boxes!!  

Looking forward to when you start this build.

• Like 1

I was feeling left out so I stuck two bits together:

R2AxP81-tkQxFlz3DcfGrnKMu5HKrMik3jh8o_r3

I've cleared one of the three track link sprues. 3 parts per link, and a fair bit of cleanup required. I've got Friday off work, so will (hopefully) have both track lengths (2x32 links) out of the way by the end of the week.

Last step of the instructions done first, in true BM style :)

• Like 2

Progress report - 36/64 or 56% of the way there! Definitely not the fun part of the build. An afternoon session today will finish one of the lengths, and then the same tomorrow.

It took a while to make sense of how the last link can be connected, but I've followed the advice to "Please set aside the palce for one piece shoe in order to easy connection" so I'm sure that everything will be fine!

UcMEgvtymNekQHlB65jxiR9u3r501naDZ9_DxVoq

• Like 3

Yayy! The tracks are complete. What a relief. 3 x 64 = 252 parts out of the way.

Onto the engine, and an immediate small problem. The sump has sticky-out bits (technical term) on either side, but it can fit under the engine block with the sticky-out bits towards either the front or back. If I get it wrong, it will foul the axle that goes underneath the engine. There's no clue in the instructions, but it's possible to work it out with just a few parts propped onto the baseplate. The sump is supposed to fit with the sticky-out bits at the opposite end to the gearbox.

DYzwqEfIscG51xkcD5umjWfTH23_txjrRjvQMu5t

Onwards!

Not loving this kit so far. The fit isn't great, and there are nasty mould lines around every part. I've no previous experience with Takom kits, but I was expecting a bit more from something only 10 years old.

The engine detail does look like it's going to be fun though. There are spark plugs crying out for some wiring, which I've never tried before.

• Like 1

vague instructions are always fun, at least you managed to sort it out before glue was involved!!

I will say Takom models can be a bit of a mixed bag, a couple I built were lovely to build, though you still needed to take care. I'm also building their 1/16th Wiesel Mk.20 which is a bit of a challenge!

Hopefully it won't give you too much grief!

Good progress today. The engine is built and primed, along with the enormous radiator. Final drive units are also under way. Rubbish picture, sorry.

AJFCJaVBhewnoRmcGgigtnKAkV9733Gfot8LQE4G

I've found a few good walkaround videos so have a decent idea of what's missing from the engine, so will at least attempt to add plug leads.

I also found a build video of a 1/35 Meng kit that has better interior detail than this 1/16 Takom one. It looks super, but I've already got a 1/35 RPM kit in the stash, and couldn't possibly need another FT at all, could I?

• Like 4

Fun day today, building up the final drives and the gearbox, and then juggling them around trying to decide how best to put it all together. Also a first chance to appreciate the size of it. Things to note:

1. It's big.

2. The whole gearbox / final drive section is completely hidden behind the radiator. Only the engine can be seen no matter how many hatches I leave open. This takes the pressure off somewhat!

FuyJEkp00lwzm0FxDM4ZohEsmG8a4Fpp6bfsWuMAlp

• Like 1

On 30/05/2023 at 09:59, trickyrich said:

it does look good.

interesting that a 1/35th model is more detailed.......sounds like somebody got lazy!!

I think that it's more a case of the Meng kit being absolutely amazing. My kit has a hand throttle lever, the Meng kit has a hand throttle lever but also a control rod going down to the accelerator pedal, stuff like that. And it has real metal coil springs!

Here's a progress update.

The floor and firewall are together, along with the gearbox and engine mounts. There's some cream paint on there ready for weathering. I was just about to prime the sides but had to stop because I had forgotten to remove the many ejector pin marks.

n4k50B8P8xmqqg7pdvJ0Go4euZeEdiY0JBbkSZ2M

I'm slowly working my way around the engine blocking out some base colours.

The (small!) gearbox is in the middle. Those arms are the steering brake linkage.

The radiator housing is waiting to have a light grey primer adding.

The two final drives / steering brakes had paint on them yesterday, but it just looked awful, really showing up my poor skill at painting acrylics with a brush. I've stripped it off to start again (even though these will be completely invisible eventually!)

There's a hefty flywheel / clutch as well, but I forgot to include it.

AJFCJaWi1UjvrDN9e5xz-4f0YVfry-7mBtES6cjv

The engine is taking up most of my time, not that it looks like much yet. Let's see what I can do over the weekend. My brass tube and copper wire creation will connect the magneto to the four spark plugs.

This picture shows up beautifully the mould seam on the exhaust manifold. Aren't pictures great for spotting flaws.

AJFCJaV1nN83KbELpOlzDJPpf5JUQqp-SjJ8KFNZ

Oops, it's after 1pm. Lunch hour over, back to work!

• Like 3

gee she's looking nice!!

Yeah photos do have a rather bad habit of showing up all those things we've missed!!!! 🙄

I may have to take back any nice things I've said about Takom....my Takom Gerard is turning out to be a right pain!!!

I'm starting to love this kit. I'm doing things that I've never tried before.

The gearbox and one steering brake are fitted, the rest of it is just there to see how it's going. Getting some assemblies stuck in place is helping me get my space back under control.

Still loads to do with the engine. Today I tried to give the engine block an oxidised aluminium look with a white wash.

AJFCJaW2v3j64chMXnn2wDsZaBcgGjuJ6ySm3lRk

• Like 4

Here's where I am this weekend.

The engine is (almost) finished. Another wash or two and a few details still to pick out.

My attempt at wiring is OK but the brass tube that I chose is a bit too big.

vjZxACi70LcwmiL9zNhz84s1ehKkKtqCB-_xzYY7

mnjcoNzLizMu7JEd9veArGvqjuGZ1xwzdZS7Anu8

I've had fun grubbying up the interior with oils (Mig Oilbrushers). I still need to do a pinwash to bring out the rivets

5idrnNgL7HqXDyEbRbpNs52AbElF9t4UMWoRjC7M

So that's where I am. Everything that I'm working with has paint on it. I've gone through the sprues and taken off all of the parts for the internal fittings, so will be back to cleaning up and priming again. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm really struggling with space. I can't make a start on the turret or running gear because I just don't have any more room.

Onwards!

Edited by Ned
  • Like 5

wow that is looking really nice and natural looking, well done.

Space wise, try having 3 1/32nd beasts on the work bench........and it's all my fault too......

On 13/06/2023 at 09:21, trickyrich said:

wow that is looking really nice and natural looking, well done.

Space wise, try having 3 1/32nd beasts on the work bench........and it's all my fault too......

I'm sure you've got room for just one more. All of those kits going "Build me! Build me!"

• Haha 2

Today I'm trying to get everything internal at least primed and maybe painted. But the fuel tank looked a bit rubbish with no bottom, so I had to sort that out first:

l1U2NOUwlhT1yybu-JgWVz_bPsgcvNp-cKcWY6MB

The ammo racks are a lot bigger than I expected, filling the whole wall on either side of the fighting compartment, completely obscuring my carefully weathered walls.

Takom don't provide any 37mm ammo, which is a bit rubbish, and they also made the shelves "empty" so they would need modifying to hold anything. Those dimples on the back wall are the bottom of spring-loaded shelves that hinge upwards when the last round is taken out, so that it's easier to get to the next shelf down. I did want to at least add a few rounds (thought of buying some 1/35 scale 76mm rounds and shortening them) but I can't be bothered now.

XE1clNS8JewVzWjyt8mpS0oupfsdMNYrmjsWuf94

• Like 1

I've just put either a wash or a coat of paint on every single piece that isn't still on a sprue.

I think that I'm almost ready to put the hull together! I'm not sure that I've EVER got this far with an interior before.

How exciting!

• Like 1

that's a bit annoying that they didn't supply shells, they must have someone from Hasegawa working for them!!

On 6/15/2023 at 1:36 AM, Ned said:

I'm sure you've got room for just one more. All of those kits going "Build me! Build me!"

Don't even go there....I have shelves beside my work bench full of large projects!!  🙄