Better late than never - Kinetic Kfir C.2

Hi all, I did intend on building a few Mirages for this GB but ended up not building anything for a while- recently finished a skyhawk and built a mustang for the blitzbuild so I'm back in the swing of things.

Was planning on building this for my Israeli Adventure project but its just sat in the stash for a while now, I'm wanting to build it so thought why not try and get something done for this GB.

20230507_202235

I'll be building this in the air superiority grey scheme (should be faster than the desert scheme), the kit decals were created with input from Isradecal so look fantastic.

20230509_174829

I do have a fair few spare decals and numbers so I'm leaning toward building this as a Smashing Parrot Squadron Kfir.

SmartSelect_20230507_203739_Messenger

Made a start today, painted the cockpit and assembled the wings and intakes- some minor difficulties with fit, definitely going to be some filler needed with this kit but nothing too bad...yet.

20230509_174759

20230509_174710

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

Hey there @Luke1199

Welcome! Nice that you managed to start here, with a cool jet. I have the F-21 Lion boxing of it, I expect it to be pretty much the same as yours, just with a few of those typical Kinetic panel insets to swap out. 

Have you glued on those intakes yet or is there a chance you can remove them easily? In my Mirage IIIS build (Kinetic 1/48 as well), I sanded the inner part of their mating surfaces to avoid those big gaps on the outter side of the fuselage, and by doing so did not have to use any filler at all. 

Have fun! 
Sam

Edited by Sam
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the tip Sam, I have glued them unfortunately so i think it'll be a filler job- it was just with a drop of liquid poly though so I'll see if I can get them off easily next time I'm working on it.

Hi all, nice bit of progress today- fuselage is together now and the fit was pretty nice. I'm leaving it to set overnight then tomorrow I can hopefully get the wings joined to the fuselage.

20230510_162315

I have the Vallejo USAF greys paint set arriving soon which has the greys I need for this kit (also covers my RF-4E in the recce GB) so fingers crossed I can begin the paintwork early next week.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 2

Another nice chunk of progress today as the wings and fuselage are now joined up. Leaving overnight and I'll get the elevators added and see about filling any gaps (the intakes being the big standout). 

20230511_163704

Also began assembling the wing tanks, always leave them to last and end up waiting on them to finish- think I'll just be running 2 x AAMs and 2 x wingtanks on this. 

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

Got around to finishing the wing assembly today, next job is to tackle the seams and clean her up a bit (especially the gnarly one on the intakes). 

20230513_194814

Leaving the canards off until I've sorted the intakes, then theres a few small parts to add and its on to the paintwork. Hoping paint won't take very long considering it is just two shades of grey to paint.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 2

Hi all, finally got around to sorting the seams. The intakes took a while but they're much nicer now, may still need a little more if the seam is too noticable once it's primed. Needed a little along the wing roots too but nothing major.

20230516_212001

Just need to sort the nosecone seam and its ready to be primed. My Vallejo paint came so I'm looking forward to airbrushing the base grey- should easily get this completed in time thanks to the extension.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 1

Hi all, absolutely flying now! Primed it last night, laid down the light ghost grey earlier and just began painting the dark ghost grey now.

20230517_172540 20230517_172601

20230517_172613

Need another coat of dark grey and need to clean up the lines a little as when the dark grey is wet it is the exact same shade as the light grey and its hard to see where has been painted 😅.

I forgot just how easier an airbrush makes things! The Vallejo paint has been fantastic too.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

Thanks Sam! Its a 0.3mm needle but I have no idea about pressure its a bit of a frankenstein set up we have going on- definitely need to invest in a good airbrush, the one I use is very basic 😅.

Just a few drops of thinner for the base grey, I'm brush painting the dark grey and that went on lovely straight out of the bottle, two coats should be all thats needed.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Luke1199 said:

Just a few drops of thinner for the base grey, I'm brush painting the dark grey and that went on lovely straight out of the bottle, two coats should be all thats needed.

Got it!

Your handbrushing is very good, I only brush paint very tiny surfaces. Have you tried the bluetac method with the airbrush? It‘s less repetitive and the result would be even better, with less effort. Just as tip, not as criticism 👍🏽

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Sam said:

Got it!

Your handbrushing is very good, I only brush paint very tiny surfaces. Have you tried the bluetac method with the airbrush? It‘s less repetitive and the result would be even better, with less effort. Just as tip, not as criticism 👍🏽

I've been wanting to try it for a while now, I'll definitely give it a go sometime- I just like brush painting sometimes, it's relaxing to me 😁

Hi all, began applying the decals, just some more stencils left to apply tomorrow on the wings especially. They look great, the kit decals were designed by Isradecal and the spare squadron insignia and numbers are also Isradecal.

20230522_180621

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 5

Hi all, almost there with the decals- just the wing stencils to go but oh my god do these thin red lines terrify me! I managed to get them down on the left wing but the stress nearly killed me 😅

20230524_162330

Just the right wing to go but I'll leave it for later then I'll do the wash and some light weathering. And just to think I have two Mirage IIIs in the stash with these exact stencils too... 

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Looking smashing!

On 5/9/2023 at 8:32 PM, Luke1199 said:

building this as a Smashing Parrot Squadron Kfir.

(See what I did there?  ;) )

Cheers,

Andre

• Haha 2

Some more progress tonight- applied a wash to bring out the panel lines, maybe a little over the top but the kit has very nice lines so why not use them hey? Also did a little work on the canopy so it sits a lot nicer on the fuselage.

20230607_212043 20230607_223935

Just the gear and ordinance to go now, may have it wrapped up tomorrow if all goes well. I don't have a good blue for the Python 3s which is a shame but I'm sure a standard light blue will do the job.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 4

Almost wrapped up now, on her feet and I'm finishing painting the ordinance.

20230609_195238

The instructions were very vague when it came to the gear but I got there in the end, unfortunately the pitot snapped (shock!) so I've used one from a little hasegawa Kfir sat on the shelf of doom- just need to glue it on to the remnants of the original tube, but that'll be the last thing I do for sure 😅

So just the ordinance, canopy and landing lights to go then its a satin coat to seal it all up.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 2