Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII

Always liked the 'look' of the Spitfire Mk XII, maybe not as elegant as the Merlin powered versions, but with the clipped wing tips, pointy rudder and a whacking great Griffon engine stuck on the front, they did look very purposeful. Grabbed one of the Airfix Spitfire Mk XII's a while back, did not want to go down the route of 'all singing, all dancing' modifications and added detail and such, just wanted something to build more or less straight out of the box. The only real additions I made were adding a seat harness, instrument panel and cutting out the flap-down indicators on the upper wing surfaces, and scratch building the indicators from plasticard and rod. Before anybody says anything, I am fully aware that the standard procedure was to retract the flaps after landing, however, they COULD be lowered for inspection, or maintenance, or whatever, so as far as I am concerned there would of been perfectly viable circumstances when the flaps may of been in the down position, so that is how I have depicted them. It also makes the model more visually interesting, from my perspective.  The model was airbrushed in Xtracolour enamels, thinned with cellulose thinners, and all decals were standard kit ones, straight from the box, and they responded well using Micro Set and Micro Sol decal solutions, they pulled down nicely into all recesses and details.  Panel shading was achieved mostly with Paynes Grey oil-colours, thinned with White Spirit, and some low-key paint chipping applied by small brush.  I know that the kit is not perfect out of the box, but enjoying the build was my main priority in making this particular Spitfire Mk XII.  Nice to now have one of the lesser-know variants in my display cabinet.  :yahoo:

52880752235_cef11d0b8d_o.jpg

52880831888_4cd19481a8_o.jpg

52880835398_41f6e0588b_o.jpg

52880768970_1c4ee69dce_o.jpg

52880771990_49ea009c4b_o.jpg

52880844213_b9f4338216_o.jpg

52879819577_06eaf93c51_o.jpg

B)

• Like 70
  • Thanks 2

Great build Neil. This kit has had its share of negativity but I thought it one of the more enjoyable builds in my cabinets. Yours shows that something good can come out of this kit with some simple tlc.

Pete

• Like 1

Spot on! The finish and weathering are great ... it looks like it's seen some action! 👌

Keith 😁 

• Like 1

Beauty. When I get to mine it shall be built out of the box as well. As long as it says "Spitfire" on the boxtop and doesn't end up looking like a Fw190 when built, I'm happy

• Like 1

Superbly built and finished.

No need to apologise for how you want to go about building YOUR model.

Top notch👍

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated :).

As I mentioned, I know this is not a perfect kit, it does have faults, but I wanted this to be fun and enjoyable and almost straight out of the box, which Is why I decided not to add masses of extra detail and such.

Wanted to build a 1/48 Spitfire Mk XII for a while now, actually.

Thanks again.

B)

Well done on the XIII.  I agree with you concerning its looks.  The Merlin powered Spitfires look all graceful and somewhat dainty.  The Griffon version, especially with the clipped wings, looks menacing and like a hunter aircraft with a brutish look.  And, I like your reasoning for the flaps being down.  Sounds good to me. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks again for the comments :).

A quick and simple display base using a circular mirror, with a printed information card, ready for this coming Wednesday evening's Club Night.  :yahoo:

52897535041_4d0023a985_o.jpg

B)

• Like 2

On 5/14/2023 at 9:40 PM, MVTB said:

Really liked it Neil!!

Thank you. :)

Also, managing to find a cheap circular mirror to display it on was quite fortunate, it means that the underside can be viewed without needing to handle the model. 

B)