Looking for small and compact Razor Saw

Pennys Pitstop

Good Morning (Or evening depending on where you are and when you are)

Im looking for a good Razor Saw, however, a few catches to chuck in.

I travel a lot, and by that I mean I spend 3 weeks in a Hotel, 3 weeks at home, 3 weeks in a Hotel then a week off at home.

I have a Travel Hobby kit and a Home kit. The travel kit is essentially a bunch of tools etc thrown into a Hobby Box which has 4 drawers and a top loading section. The tools I have are not top of the range, but good enough to use and of course to travel with me between London and Scotland. Id send pictures but Im on a mac here and dont know how to transfer pictures from a mobile to the computer.  So this is my hobby box, of which I have 2

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01KKBDLW2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

So, the other week I bought the Revell 39067 Precision Saw which, although quite useable and portable, I find a little flimsy and I really dont feel totally safe with the way the blade is held in. 

Is there something better out there? Size is probably the most important element here, but doing the job well is fairly important.

Can anyone recommend a portable razor saw. I use the CMX at home but find it isnt suitable for my tool box. Wondered about making something, perhaps using a 3D printer and CMX blades?

I have a photo-etched steel saw from Lion Roar that fits a Stanley "FatMax" blade holder (about five inches long) and retracts completely inside it.  The blade is more like a bread knife than a classic saw, but it cuts well and it's a fair bit slimmer than the traditional style too.  It's one of a set on a single PE fret, so if the teeth go dull (not happened yet in over six years) or the blade bends, you can replace it.  Although I find it easy enough to straighten the blade - in fact, merely putting back in the holder helps.

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

For fine work I use steel photo-etched saw blades which fit a No.3 Swann Morton scalpel handle

As do I. I rarely attach them to a handle, though - I'm rather ham-fisted and tend to end up with twisted, kinked or distorted blades.....I find that they are perfectly safe to handle unmounted and allow for fine accurate cutting.

I think mine were by Airwaves....

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AEM008?result-token=3X9CR

Q

54 minutes ago, Dr. Quack said:

As do I. I rarely attach them to a handle, though -

Mine are too small to use in the fingers, they are about the size of a SM no.10 blade, and a couple are smaller

• Like 1

Many thanks for all your replies. Apologies for slow responces from me, work kinda gets in the way.

Ive gone for the Airwaves blades which looks like it will fit my swan morton retractable handle. Im also looking at the CMK one which is available from a trusted seller.

I had also bought the trumpeter version, but it turns out its not a saw even though it claims to be, its just a kit form of 4 knives so they are going back to Amazon.

Thanks for your replies all of you. Solution found

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I’ve got both CMK and JLC saws, equally good tbh the CMK is plastic so maybe bit lighter and flimsier but never had any issues, JLC bit better finished and more traditional with the wooden handle and metal head but no real improvement. Jlc allows for 2 parallel blades to be fitted but tbh never used that at all.