1/72 Italeri A-26B Invader "Maggie's Drawers"

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

this is my 1/72 Italeri A-26B Invader in markings of 416th Bomb Group in 1944/45.

I added Kitsworld decals, True Details wheels, parts of the Eduard exterior set, Scale Aircraft Conversions landing gear, Quickboost gun barrels and self-made "clamshell style" canopy doors to represent a late production aircraft.

Painted with Tamiya, Mr.Hobby and Alclad lacquers.

Photos by Wolfgang Rabel.

a-DSC8890-Lr.jpg

a-DSC8907-Lr.jpg

a-DSC8933-Lr.jpg

A full build review will appear in an upcoming edition of Phoenix Aviation Modelling magazine.

Best greetings from Austria,

Roman

• Like 49
  • Thanks 1

I just realized I got the doors wrong way round - they should be attached to the side, not the top.

A-26-Invader.jpg

Reason of error: I blindly followed Blackdog's instructions instead of doing my own research. Looks like I'm getting lazy in my old days.

a-26nose.jpg

Luckily the error should be easy to correct. The doors are fixed with only a slight drop of superglue, and it's easy enough to cut new ones from clear plastic sheet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

That's an awesome build!

I admire the honesty regarding the opening of the canopy (I'd have been none the wiser if you hadn't said anything).

Well, any way you look at it, it's a beautiful build.

👏

• Like 1

Maybe the crew chief in charge of this aircraft was dyslexic and just installed the wing panel opening the wrong way.  I like the gull wing effect better than the how they did open.  Although, if a hasty departure from the aircraft needed to be done, getting out through a gull wing opening would be challenging.  Thanks for sharing this exceptionally well made and finished Invader.  This is one of my favorite planes and always appreciate a well made kit.  Yours is much appreciated.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2023 at 5:45 PM, georgeusa said:

Maybe the crew chief in charge of this aircraft was dyslexic ...

The only one who could be suspected of being dyslexic here is the model builder!

Now, the doors are in correct position .... 

a-DSC8944-Lr.jpg

• Like 5

On 5/13/2023 at 11:58 AM, Roman Schilhart said:

The only one who could be suspected of being dyslexic here is the model builder!

Now, the doors are in correct position .... 

a-DSC8944-Lr.jpg

Nice to watch you have corrected the mistake, the build looks resplendent.

Here in FAG we had eight of them.. Keep on My Friend, congratulations for the excellent results in this bird.

Cheers!!!

Luis Alfonso.  

Very nice, Roman. I have one to build soon. I can't see but did you attempt to build in the exhausts? If so, what did you do? I do see that you thinned the awfully thick cowling flaps ;). 

Martin

1 hour ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice, Roman. I have one to build soon. I can't see but did you attempt to build in the exhausts? If so, what did you do? I do see that you thinned the awfully thick cowling flaps ;). 

Martin

Hello Martin, thank you very much for your interest!

The rear edges of the radiator flaps are a weak point of the kit, being almost one millimeter thick. I thinned them out with a power tool for a better scale look.  

I did not bother with the exhausts because you can' t see much of them at all.