Sheila the Sea Hurricane IIC

Hi all

I have been working on this one for a while and am chuffed to get it finished finally.

The kit is the Fly 3nd scale kit, there is some lovely detail on the kit , but it's not the easiest kit, but mostly enjoyable, with only a couple of mojo sapping moments.

I have added some extra cockpit details from PE spares and scratch and have also added the extra aerials underneath.

I used the vacform sliding section of the canopy but ruined the windscreen so used the injection moulded one instead. The undercarriage doors were clipped to avoid snagging the arrestor wired and I think I have cut a bit too much off but I could only find one image and it was nearly head on . 

The model is brush painted with Humbrol enamels  and the kit decals were used for an 824 Squadron machine  NF694,  code U on HMS Striker in 1944, flown by Sub Lt.P.A.Clark.  

Here's a link to the WIP if interested

I would like to thank all that followed and offered support and encouragement  and also to @Troy Smith, who offered help and advice and posted some great photos as there is not too much in the way of reference around.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The kit's cockpit with added PE bits and pipework and some scratched bits

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 60

Chris, you don't half knock out some simply stunning models - and that's right up with some of the best models I've seen on BM. And from a supposedly 'unbuildable' kit too....!! 

Brilliant!! :thumbsup:

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

You've done it again, Chris - that is gorgeous!

Thanks John, very kind fella

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Chris, you don't half knock out some simply stunning models - and that's right up with some of the best models I've seen on BM. And from a supposedly 'unbuildable' kit too....!! 

Brilliant!! :thumbsup:

Keith

Wow thank you Keith,  really kind fella, it certainly was challenging on occasion, but ultimately the rules of short run kits come in , test fit and test again, fortunately it all worked out,  phew😉 thinking back I did make a few errors such as placed the cannons too far forward so had to cut them off to move them to the correct position 🙄 Thanks for following along.

1 hour ago, Luke1199 said:

That's a beautiful build, fantastic work!

Thanks Luke, very kind

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

A stunner Chris,

Yet again the paintwork, weathering and finish are beautiful.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair, very kind, very pleased with how it turned out, especially after the glossy matt varnish fiasco🙄, still all good in the end. Thanks for following along.

Thanks Chris

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Very nice model indeed! I have the Fly 11c to build. Where did you get the PE for the cockpit? There seems to be a shortage of 1/32 Hurricane cockpit aftermarket.

Thanks Whitewolf, very kind, good luck with your build, the PE was in the kit along with resin cannons and vacform canopy too, I did not use the PE instrument panel,  I used a yahu one and Eduard PE seatbelt, some levers and other small bits were from my PE spares box.  

If you're stuck I can send you the remaining PE from the kit, it has the IP and Seatbelts, but I did use a lot of the other bits.  If of any use, PM me your details.

Chris

Chris,

That's a stunning finish, and must be pretty impressive at this scale! Lovely work and great to follow the WIP,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bigbadbadge changed the title to Sheila the Sea Hurricane IIC
8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Whitewolf, very kind, good luck with your build, the PE was in the kit along with resin cannons and vacform canopy too, I did not use the PE instrument panel,  I used a yahu one and Eduard PE seatbelt, some levers and other small bits were from my PE spares box.  

If you're stuck I can send you the remaining PE from the kit, it has the IP and Seatbelts, but I did use a lot of the other bits.  If of any use, PM me your details.

Chris

Hi, many thanks, I have the Yahu IP and a set of seatbelts, had forgotten about PE in kit. With all the cockpit sets available for Spitfires (including Eduard resin/PE and Quinta etc), I'm surprised at the complete lack of anything for Hurricanes. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Flintstone said:

Lovely Hurricane, well done.

Thanks Flintstone, very kind

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

That's a stunning finish, and must be pretty impressive at this scale! Lovely work and great to follow the WIP,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, very kind of you fella, she certainly does look great in the FAA display and chuffed with it.  Thanks for following along, always a pleasure to have you along. Thanks mate.

7 hours ago, CedB said:

What a beauty. Great job Chris.

Thanks Ced, very kind.

7 hours ago, Zephyr91 said:

Loved the build, and the result is stupendous.    Well done.

Rob

Thanks Rob, very kind too, thanks for following along too.

26 minutes ago, Whitewolf said:

Hi, many thanks, I have the Yahu IP and a set of seatbelts, had forgotten about PE in kit. With all the cockpit sets available for Spitfires (including Eduard resin/PE and Quinta etc), I'm surprised at the complete lack of anything for Hurricanes. 

Ah no worries, the yahu IP is lovely.  I too am surprised about the lack of anything Hurricane related, I would have thought that since the Revell kit came out some more would be released.  Just a heads up, check your references on the machine you're building as Fly instructions can be a bit vague in places 😉

18 minutes ago, Johnny Tip said:

I love anything resembling a Hurricane, but she's quite the beaut! Great work Chris! 

Thanks Johnny, really pleased with it.

5 minutes ago, mick said:

great work

Thanks Mick

Thanks everyone for your kind comments

Chris

Fabulous job Chris.  It will look stunning in the cabinet among the other aircraft of the Air Branch.  I’m going to rob your exhaust staining style if you don’t mind..

Whats up next to the bench?

• Thanks 1

Yep, yep, yep.  Another one to try to come up with another way to say “that looks fantastic.”  

Great job, Chris.  Great job.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Fabulous job Chris.  It will look stunning in the cabinet among the other aircraft of the Air Branch.  I’m going to rob your exhaust staining style if you don’t mind..

Whats up next to the bench?

Thanks GB, very kind too,  use away , the the smoke staining is Humbrol weathering powders,  smoke and the lighter colour is a mig powder, European earth, might have to get a slightly lighter shade of that.

Next up is a Seafire 1b which is about to receive it's DSG and HMS Achates,  A class destroyer,  my Grandad served aboard and was sadly killed when it was sunk at the Battle of the Barents Sea, never built a ship before, also an RAAF Vampire FB.31 TT and a Whirlwind fighter. Poss might start some more FAA models too as still got loads in the stash, too many models and not enough hours in a day🙄 Thanks for following along too.

3 hours ago, MACALAIN said:

Well done. I like it.

Alain

Thanks Alain, very kind

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That is a beauty Chris, colours spot on, weathering spot on, subject spot on too, all in all, it spot on. 👍

Steve.

Thanks Steve, very kind, I do love the Humbrol colours as find them easier to brush on.

3 hours ago, mark.au said:

Yep, yep, yep.  Another one to try to come up with another way to say “that looks fantastic.”  

Great job, Chris.  Great job.

Thanks Mark, very kind too.pleased with the way it turned out after a few shaky varnish moments🙄, thanjs for following along.

Thanks guys for your generous comments.

Chris

• Like 2