My early work: Bismarck, King George V, Japanese Yamato - all Revell 1:1200

Hello everybody,

Before posting my latest 1:1200 battleship, the HMS Rodney, I present the three ships I built first, all in 2020: the German Bismarck, the British King George V, and the Japanese Yamato. While they might be too rusty, and King George V's color scheme is from pure Revell designer's fantasy (in the beginning I didn't question the properness of such plans) you can detect a slight increase in my modelling skills. In addition, the setting for taking the pictures isn't too atmospheric. However, these days I don't build them out of the box anymore, because my aspiration for accuracy and detail has grown. That's why it took me more than a year to complete the Rodney, which's pictures will follow soon...

Cheers,

Leo

Bismarck1 Bismarck2 Bismarck3 KingGeorgeV2 KingGeorgeV1 Yamato1 Yamato2 Version 2

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Interesting comparison. It would be nice to see them all next to each other. Great job at this small scale!

On 5/2/2023 at 11:18 PM, Themistokles said:

(in the beginning I didn't question the properness of such plans) you can detect a slight increase in my modelling skills. In addition, the setting for taking the pictures isn't too atmospheric. However, these days I don't build them out of the box anymore, because my aspiration for accuracy and detail has grown.

Gidday Leo, me too. When I went back to the hobby on a continual basis some decades ago I thought that Airfix model ships (what I started with as a kid and I prefer to stay with their 1/600 scale) were 100% accurate. Of course we know now that's not the case. I don't usually built OOB either now, I do a lot of modification, either for accuracy like yourself or because I'm converting one ship into another.

Are you planning to do an American battleship? (Apologies if you've already said so). And I agree with @Toryu above, great work at such a small scale, and it would be interesting to see them together in a single photo, for size comparison.

Regards, Jeff.

Dear Toryu, dear Jeff

Since I'm planning to improve all the three regarding its accuracy they are now in "refit conditions": Yamato is being transformed into 1945 appearance and obviously waiting for new main artillery gun barrels, Bismarck needs more accurate AA-guns - and KGV's ugly main artillery has to be removed to. However, I don't know when these processes will be completed because after HMS Rodney I'm planning to finish my Titanic project first. So long, I can still place them along side of each other:

P1000450 P1000451 P1000449

It's visible that Yamato with 70'000t was the mightiest one. Although Bismarck was remarkable 53'000t she looks still too clumsy due to the too high outboards of the modell. King George V is with 42'000t almost tiny...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

...and regarding your questions about American battleships: yes, I'm planing to built them too. Two of them are already launched: the Mighty Mo and USS Arizona - here compared to Yamato again:

P1000452 P1000453

Although longer the USS Missouri is slimmer than Yamato so she fits well through the Panama Canal.

Another impressing comparison: a second world war Yorktown-class carrier (with some B-25 in deck for a "Doolittle Raid"-scenario in fornt of a cold war Nimitz-class carrier (with a F/A-18). I think a "great generation"-pilot would have been able to land even drunk on such a floating air base:

P1000457 P1000458

And finally a chilling doomsday comparison: Noa's Arch according to its biblical proportions to save all life - next to a soviet Typhoon/Project 941-class submarine with nuclear warheads to end all existence:

P1000460

• Like 1

Gidday Leo, you have quite a fleet there, and very interesting comparisons. If you ever do HMS Hood she should fit between Yamato and Missouri - two feet shorter than Yamato and about 3-4 feet narrower than the Mighty Mo.

That last comparison is particularly interesting, and rather unique I think. I've never seen it done before that I can recall. Let's hope/pray that neither of those last two ever get used (again) for their intended purpose.

Regards, Jeff.

• 4 weeks later...