1/48 SNJ Texan

Next off the bench is the Revell-Monogram 1/48 T-6G, being built as the SNJ I flew at Goodwood a few years ago. I actually made astart on this in 2020 but lack of bench space and COVID-19 put it on hold. Just starting on the Eduard detail stuff (meant for the Occidental kit but most of it is useable on this kit).

DSCN1759

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Warbird models are my jam so I'm on board - as I write this I'm building a friend's Harvard IIA from the same kit - good on you for bringing it back and I'm excited to follow along!

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1

Gotta love a good Texan build! I'm especially interested to see how you go with the Eduard PE, I have several sets of this in my stash, lined up for various projects. I notice you haven't broken out the Eduard PE seats...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Derek_B said:

I'm especially interested to see how you go with the Eduard PE,

Not enjoying some of it! The rudder pedals kept breaking today when I tried to bend them into shape and they're an absolute s*it to put together. I haven't used some of the side detail as the Revell kit is much better than the Occidental one in that regard and it doesn't make sense to take out one lot of detail and add another.

2 hours ago, Derek_B said:

I notice you haven't broken out the Eduard PE seats...

I have, actually - they're at the top of the photo above. They're sitting in the fuselage floor frame now. I'll paint the whiole lot again shortly and then fit the belts.

5 hours ago, Bell209 said:

I have, actually - they're at the top of the photo above. 

Ah yes, my bad Rob, I thought they were the kit seats, didn't look carefully enough! Nice work!

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Managed to get away from my mate's 1:1 Harvard's annual servicing this weekend to do some more work on my 1:48 version!

Sick of the rudder pedal detail bits, I worked on a few other areas.

DSCN1760

Seats done. The belts were unnecessarily complicated and I lost a strap but they're in. I missed the ejector pin holes in the foot pans but they're not really noticeable from above, which is how they'll be viewed. Forward grip is from an Airfix Spitfire I kit (I've ordered a Barracuda detail set to replace the kit items anyway). Isn't it annoying when you post photos and notice you've left join marks and (more) ejector pin holes uncorrected? 🙄

The installed version shows how much can be seen:

DSCN1761

I also opened up the oil cooler air intake on the side of the cowl.

DSCN1762

One of the replacement rudder pedal assemblies for the rear cockpit is also visble in the above shot.

Looking for other things to do while the cockpit assembly dries, I moved onto the engine. 

DSCN1763

the Eduard ignition harness adds a nice touch to this. This is about as detailed as the engine's going to get as it's pretty much as you see it on the real aircraft, too. Should be able to join the fuselage halves next time and move to the wings.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 9

Thanks Derek. You have to feed the main part of the belts through the buckles - a task best performed under a magnifying lens of some sort. It also requires you to think about what you want the finished item to look like before you start, as it's difficult to change it once the belt's bent. First time I've seen this technique on an Eduard belt set.

• Like 1

And Rob, I should have also said that the PE seats look brilliant. I strongly dislike the thick wall-sections of injection-molded seats in just about every model kit, but the fine sharp edges of the PE seats in your build look really great!

• Thanks 1

About an hour of work yesterday rovided some significant progress. First, I fitted the cockpit to the fusleage with almost no fit issues!

DSCN1765

There's a bit of a step on the panels in front of the instrument panel but having fitted them to the 1:1 version on Saturday, I'm pretty happy with leaving them as is with a little tidy up.

Joined up the wing halves, too.

DSCN1764

There's some PE to fit but I should've done that before joinging the halves and I'm not sure they'll add much. I'll reevaluate after I take the pegs and clamps off.

I also joined up the horizontal stabilisers after dropping the elevators.

DSCN1766

The T-6 has an integral control lock that forces the elevators down and unlocks the tailwheel at the same time. It locks the rudder and ailerons in the faired positions and is almost always engaged on the ground, hence the surgery.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Making some headway now. She's starting to look like a properaeroplane!

DSCN1768 DSCN1767

Still some work to do in the lower wing/undercarriage area but she's coming along. The big blobs of Mr Surfacer are mostly gone now after cleaning up. I'm debating whether to remove the torque links from the gear struts and replace them with etched metal. The metal does look nice but I could easily stuff the whole thing up!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Slowly but surely we're getting there.

DSCN1769

Added the right landing light and its lens, the modern VHF radio antenna and the canopies and I've chopped the tailwheel off and replaced the leg with a wire version. I am waiting for new P-51 wheels from my LHS, as this aircraft uses the post-war mod to replace the dodgy brakes and tailwheel with the Mustang versions. I did decide to remoe the moulded torque links and got them off without too many issues. I'll fit the etched metal replacements after I paint the legs again. Getting close to being able to hit it with the first coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 now.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

A bit more progress. The struts came up okay. Still need to paint the brake lines and add the torque links. Just realised I need to drill the uplock lugs out.

DSCN1772

I used Mr Surfacer 1000 White to prime the wheel wells and tail wheel structure.

DSCN1771

DSCN1773

I added the antenaa under the fuselage since the last update as it's rather noticeable. Not sure what it is but I suspect it's an ADF sense antenna. I made a stab at it's plan view based on others I've removed/installed as I have no pictures of that area from below. Next step will be masking the white areas and applying the dark blue overall colour.

• Like 6

Lovely little kit, one of my favourites.

I managed to break the rear canopy with my bonce it Col Pays T6 many many years ago. There was a chap who didn't like straight and level.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Got some colour on her yesterday.

DSCN1774

A light second coat was required, which I applied this morning. I received my Metallic Details 2D30 prop (intended for the CW-22B but it's the same prop) and assembled and started painting it, too.

DSCN1775

It's very nice and much better than the kit prop. I grabbed one for my Winjeel project, too.

Also painted the wheels up.

DSCN1776 DSCN1777

They, too, are much nicer than the kit wheels and correct for this (and other) warbird T-6 as the disc brakes from the Mustang are superior to the drums originally fitted.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

After clear-coating the aircraft with Future and removing the masks, it was obvious the Montex masks had again failed me and paint had slipped past onto the windscreen. I also had particles slip under the canopies, so all the transparencies were removed for cleaning. The windscreen needed paint stripping and attacking with Micro Mesh to restore its clarity (Future did its usual wonders after that). Pics shortly.

• 3 weeks later...

Windscreen removed, cleaned, repainted and reattached!

PXL_20231208_233729996 PXL_20231208_233811022

Hmm, don't seem to have one of the attached windscreen. I'll fix that!

The prop came out pretty well, too.

PXL_20231208_233755120

I also got around to decalling. Not many to do on this one - she's bereft of stencils!

DSCN1778 DSCN1779

The stencils on the rudder are a little oversize but as close as I could get to the originals. All decals are a mix from different sources.

Getting close now - just need to wait for the decals and paint touch-ups to cure, then I can gloss coat over. Wheels can go on after that.

• Like 2

Here's where she's at currently.

PXL_20231211_041104842

In the cabinet away from the dust. I've dirtied up the exhaust and lower fuselage a bit but not too much as these warbirds do get very well cared for. Next update will hopefully be an RFI post!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...