'65 Pontiac Grand Prix

Spiny

Cutting compound might remove the white wall and not damage the vinyl?

All that palaver to line the wheels up sounds like non-fun but it's worth getting right. 

• Like 1

On 01/02/2024 at 18:00, Six97s said:

Further to this - tested a recent AMT whitewall and found that IPA will take it off, but needs a little elbow grease.  Humbrol enamel thinners works more effectively and won't harm the tyre.   MEK removes it instantly, but also attacks the tyre, so while it's good for removing the glossiness, if you're not careful it smears the white ink into the sidewall.

Short answer:  use enamel thinners.

Thank you for the research, that's good to know and very much appreciated (sorry for the delay getting back, been away for a few days). I don't have any Humbrol enamel thinners, but there is some Halfords thinner/brush cleaner sitting in the garage so I will try that based on your research and fingers crossed that will work for me. I do have MEK available, but based on your research I won't be using that! If the Halfords thinner doesn't work, it will be a case of IPA and elbow grease I think.

There's been more going on with this build over the weekend than the couple of photos I have here suggest, but here goes anyway.

First of all I'm indebted to @Six97s for the advice on getting rid of the off-centre white walls. Unfortunately, my skills have let me down a bit - I did manage to get rid of them but the end result still had  a faded ring around them. So I ended up going over the old ring with a black Sharpie anyway, the good thing though is that if it does fade or scratch off it won't be that noticeable (see top left tyre in the shot below). The Posca pen seems very good - I ended up getting the 1mm pen as that had a fibre tip which I figured might be a bit more forgiving than the rollerball. Unfortunately, my initial attempt at a ring using masking tape with a circle cut out of the centre went very pear-shaped as the white ink bled underneath and looked terrible. Foruntately, being water based I was able to wash it off with no harm done.

That left me Plan B which was to follow the circle on the edge of the tyre around... unfortunately the edge I was following disappeared part way around all tyres so I had to do a bit of free-handing. As you can see below, the results aren't stellar!

53522317832_18f5e7e05a_b.jpg

Fortunately I do seem to have got better with each one, and as I am going with the rear spats I will be putting the worst two (hopefully those two with the wheel cover in place in the shot) at the back.

One other little 'design feature' which came up though was that the tyres are too narrow to clip onto the back piece when the wheels are in place - I figure the best way around that will be to glue the wheel covers (and by extension the tyre they're clipped into) to the back piece of the wheel. If I do this right, I hope to be able to eliminate any tripodding, although I'm sure there's plenty of scope for error!

Other than that, it was time to work on the interior. You may remember that the engine came out a bit darker than planned, so for the seat cover I went 6 parts matt white, 2 parts gloss blue and 1 part silver to give that '60s style sparkle to the vinyl you often see. The end result is not exactly what I had in mind as the blue was still too powerful so this is a much stronger blue than planned. The silver, while giving a little sparkle to the seats, doesn't quite give that semi-metallic look I was after. But having said that, I think it's turned out ok and the colour isn't a million miles from what I was aiming for, it's got a bit of a 60's vibe to it, and who's to say that it hasn't been reupholstered at some point in its life.

53522317732_e370d13e0f_b.jpg

I have also got a single layer on the dash, seats and steering wheel so they are moving forwards. The only downside is that I've just discovered that the instructions throw a bit of a curveball with the steering wheel telling you to paint the wheel rim interior colour when actually it's wood with interior covered pads, so a little change required there.

And that's it for this week. Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

Nice work on the upholstery, you've captured the '60s vinyl look pretty well - sadly I'm old enough to remember it!

• Thanks 1

On 11/02/2024 at 21:27, Spiny said:

As you can see below, the results aren't stellar!

Photographs never are flattening to this type of work.   I be well chuffed if I could be that neat free hand.  - Andy 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Photographs never are flattening to this type of work.   I be well chuffed if I could be that neat free hand.  - Andy 

They're not very flattering in real life either, but at least they're closer to being on centre. That said, I do have a feeling this is going to end up being a "3-foot" model when I'm done with it.

• Sad 1

I'd be more than chuffed with a 3-foot model. At 1:24 scale that's just under 4cm...😋

Nick

PS: the tyres look great. I personally think you are being quite harsh with yourself IMHO.

Edited by Fnick
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Fnick said:

I'd be more than chuffed with a 3-foot model. At 1:24 scale that's just under 4cm...😋

Nick

PS: the tyres look great. I personally think you are being quite harsh with yourself IMHO.

With my eyesight, viewing from as close as 4cm would also be a good way of keeping it out of focus! 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bit more progress this weekend, and the first thing done was completing the wheels. While the white walls are a long way from perfect (despite what you all say!!!) at least they're centred(ish) now so at least if I put the model at the other side of the room I can persuade myself all is good with them now.

53537634693_85ec14abe6_b.jpg

That's the chassis done now, with the exception of one radiator hose which I feel will be better added after the radiator than before, especially as the radiator goes into the body first. But with the chassis done, I couldn't resist trying to get a rough idea of how it will end up looking.

53536567972_1f0077a37a_b.jpg

You can probably tell that it's still early days in terms of polishing up the paint, but judging by this I am quite hopeful that it will look ok in the end. Once small (or perhaps I should say large) problem though is that at this stage I usually put the chassis into an old sandwich box to keep the dust off. Unfortunately, this car is so big it won't fit so I'll just have to hope it doesn't get too bad.

Despite me saying the body needs polishing, I still decided that this was a good weekend to get the interior of the main body painted. Tamiya semi-gloss black for the lower parts. The headlining is called out in "Interior Colour", but I felt the rich blue of the seats would be a bit overpowering if done on the headlining too. Plus I didn't want a 'vinyl' headlining. So this is done in a 1:1:1 mix of Revell Matt White, Revell Matt Clear and the seat colour (since I mixed too much). I wasn't too sure at first, but the colour is growing on me.

53536568042_52e5a84942_b.jpg

All that said, this weekend has mostly been concerned with the interior. The console is near enough painted, as is the steering wheel. As you can probably guess from the remaining white bits, there is still some BMF to add to the console and seats though. The 'chrome' on the steering wheel is GreenStuffWorld chrome paint. As for the dashboard, like all my dashboards (or so it feels), this one is taking a while to get done and I fear there's still at least two more weekends before that is ready.

53537869975_f52ce9b26a_b.jpg

And finally, the interior tub. All the painting is done on that (I hope!) so it's onto the foiling. And there is quite a lot of it - I reckon I'm probably still only about a third of the way through it if that. So this is very much a work in progress, still quite a bit more to add.

53537869920_71a89dc68d_b.jpg

The foiling may take me a while on this one...

That's all for this week though. Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Yes, whitewalls are a pain!  😑   I'll have an update on mine soon... Printing the tyres with grooves made the whitewalls a bit easier.  I ended up splitting the wheels into three parts to facilitate detail painting and managed to get the 'PONTIAC MOTOR DIVISION' lettering to print, but you need magnification to read it )I do anyway).  Looking at your results, I'm not sure I've realised much of an improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fully agree with you on the whitewalls, such a shame AMT didn't print them on centre of the tyre.

23 hours ago, Six97s said:

Looking at your results, I'm not sure I've realised much of an improvement.

Judging by what I've seen so far in your build I think you're doing yourself a big disservice. There may not be a lot of difference in quality between mine and yours when viewed from five feet away, but get up close and it's looking like yours will blow mine out of the water!

If you don't like foiling this is not the car for you! Fortunately, this is one of the aspects of building I enjoy most (apart from when you miss a microcrack in the sheet and the piece you've just cut breaks in half).

As you might have guessed, this has been a weekend where BMF has been to the fore. First up was the interior tub, lots of foil and with it being an all-in-one tub access to some of the lower bits with the knife was tricky meaning it was difficult to get a good cut in some places. But I got there in the end - everything you see on this which is chromed is done with foil apart from the GP emblems on the doors which are done with the GSW chrome paint.

53552207939_84f35e7ea8_b.jpg

While this was going on, I also had a go at the seats/centre console. It does seem a little odd that this is all one piece, and the bits between the seats and console shouldn't really be there. I too the decision that the best way to hide that was to treat it as carpet. But first I had to get the paint and foil on - again all the chrome you can see is BMF but looking at the photo I noticed I need to get some chrome on the lock in the centre. That wil be done in GSW chrome, otherwise this piece is done. The 'carpet' is done with blue embossing powder, and the intention is that next time I'm on the bench I'll use the same powder to do the carpet of the tub.

53551871411_480edb3a72_b.jpg

Finally, the dashboard. As with, it seems, all dashboards, this one is taking a while. I'm still adding paint, but thought I'd start with some BMF at the opposite side to the bits which were painted. All I'll say about this is that it's a work in progress, and you'll have to take my word for it that the camera has made this look terrible - it doesn't look this bad in real life, and hopefully will look much better when it's finished. This one will probably have a fair bit of the Green Stuff World chrome on it before it's finished, I can't imagine how those dials could be done to any sort of standard with BMF, certainly not with my skill level anyway.

53552067723_867c3d2d67_b.jpg

And that's it from me for this week. Thanks for looking.

• Like 9

You do yourself down @Spiny, the camera lens is a cruel implement (don't I know it!).  Lovely bit of BMF artistry, effective use of embossing powder and that dash will look great when it's done - the bones of it are already there.

• Thanks 1

This is looking very nice. Cameras are a indeed cruel item during a WIP, the reality of the eye is always so much better.

For any perfectly flat chrome areas I can recommend Hasegawa's self-adhesive chrome sticky sheets, they don't tear and you can reposition many times, unlike BMF which feels like a commitment. They're pricey but worth it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, galaxyg said:

This is looking very nice. Cameras are a indeed cruel item during a WIP, the reality of the eye is always so much better.

For any perfectly flat chrome areas I can recommend Hasegawa's self-adhesive chrome sticky sheets, they don't tear and you can reposition many times, unlike BMF which feels like a commitment. They're pricey but worth it.

If only... unfortunately the only flat area I've done far is on the back of the centre console (which you can't see in the photos), everything else is quite small and fiddly. I think the hardest bits to cut out were the ends of the door handles - it's fairly easy to cut a straight line following an edge, but the smaller the radius of a curve the harder it is to do and those handle ends were only just over 1mm in diameter so weren't keen to play ball!

Thanks to everyone who liked the foiling, always a good motivator especially considering there's still the body to do😲

I agree with all the other nice comments @Spiny. The bit of BMF ing I did on the 240Z was quite satisfying to do - in the same strange way that i find decalling satisfying . I like the flocking too . 

Gary. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more progress, although not as obvious a step forward as the time spent on it would suggest.

First of all, a little progress on the body. Due to the size of it there's quite a lot of polishing to do on this one. Finally I've got it rubbed over with 6000grit Micromesh to get rid of the worst of the orange peel. I've also touched up a few of the edges where I burned through, fortunately they were quite small so the touching in isn't too obvious even now, hopefully even less so when I have finished polishing.

53579497441_a59fd90027_b.jpg

I need to get a move on though as work with the body is imminent!

Much easier was adding the rev counter and gear lever to the centre console. Both were pretty easy to install, the gear lever being a tad odd in that it needs installing from below, but they both went in ok. (Just noticed from this pic that I still need to get chrome paint on that key in the centre pocket).

53578634057_ab90a02f9b_b.jpg

Alongside that, I got more embossing powder on the tub. I deliberately left the transmission tunnel unpowdered as I need that bit to stick the seat piece onto.

53578633682_2d20178cbe_b.jpg

I think the embossing powder 'carpet' may have lifted things slightly as it took quite a bit of doing to get the seat secure - in the end I had to stick it down by the seats as well as in the centre as there appear to be limited contact points. But it seems secure now, no doubt though it is planning on making a bid for freedom just after I get the body on. The remaining bits on the side of the transmission tunnel and at the back which need carpeting are quite obvious, the front bits have been done since the photo, the rest will be next weekend.

53579497511_81dd407b53_b.jpg

And finally the dashboard. I still need to chrome all the buttons, and the top and bottom trim on the dashboard surround need foiling, but it has made progress.

53579497471_294eeef0dc_b.jpg

And that's it for this week. Overall, despite the age of the kit it's pretty good. But I will caution anyone looking at it that you need to enjoy foiling as (as with pretty much any American car of this era) there is a lot of chrome on it.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

Nice work Spiny, the interior looks really good, as does the paint finish on the body. Well done.

Atb, Steve.

Very kind of you to say so, but don't be fooled by the unexpected reflection in the roof - there's still 8000 and 12,000 grits to go yet plus a couple of polishing compounds before the paint is done. Still lots of potential to get it all wrong, but the most dangerous phase is over now at least.

• Like 1