The kit was first released in 1976 and, in my opinion, is an absolute classic.  I have built a number of these over the years.   The kit was re-released in 2021 in the new-style Heller box.

spacer.png

I was a little surprised to see everything loose inside the box, rather than being bagged.  However, the box was taped securely shut.

The parts are as one would expect from a 1976 mould.  The panel lines are fine raised lines. The detail in the cockpit and wheel wells is very sparse.  The jetpipe is blanked off with no depth.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The worst part about this kit is the extremely flimsy undercarriage.  The model tends to wobble about like a newborn gazelle and if you put it down with anything less than perfect precision, the undercarriage will collapse.  That doesn't bode well for me and my penchant of putting lots of ballast in the nose.  :fraidnot:

It's a problem which is easily fixed, however.  While I'm at it, I might as well replace the plain wheels.

spacer.png

The new Special Hobby Mirage IIIC has some unused parts which may come in useful for this one.

• Like 2

So let's get started.

Th interior bits are ready to be installed.  I was surprised to find that the nice decal sheet didn't have any decals for the cockpit.  I think I have a Yahu instrument panel for a Mirage somewhere.  The Heller jet exhaust is on the far right of the photo.  I knocked up a replacement using parts from an RV Aircraft kit with the afterburner taken from the Special Hobby kit.

spacer.png

Fuselage closed up.  The nose, intakes and wing are ready for fitment.

spacer.png

Like so.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Very nice subject, following with interest!

Note that VBA's have some additional bumps & lumps around the back under the rudder, see here.

Edit: and some more:

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=1920x400:format=jpg/path/sd18a79ba74ef0800/image/icad087b47a8082c4/version/1500883429/image.jpg

https://image.jimcdn.com/app/cms/image/transf/dimension=1920x400:format=jpg/path/sd18a79ba74ef0800/image/i5b3d11ea0ac29ee8/version/1500883429/image.jpg

Cheers,

Andre

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although it looks like USAF South East Asia camouflage, the colours are not the same.  I used the same colours as I used on my F-104G build last year.

The tan is Vallejo 71.112     The disruptive pattern was masked with my usual technique of blutak worms, masking tape squares and Copydex.

spacer.png

The medium green is Mr Hobby H340 while the dark green is Xtracrylix XA1110.

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

The undercarriage in this kit is very fimsy indeed, so I replaced the legs with an SAC white metal set.  The wheels are CMK resin replacements intended for the new Special Hobby kit.

spacer.png

So... we're finished!  :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As I mentioned, I replaced the undercarriage.  Apart from the underwing tanks, this kit does not have any other stores.  That's fine for a Belgian aircraft as I rarely  saw them carrying any sort of store.  The only thing I ever saw was a baggage pod.  They did however have pylons, which are not included in this kit.  Not to worry...  the new Specail Hobby Mirage IIIC has an abundance of pylons, so I took some suitable leftovers from my three builds of that kit.  Oh...  and the ejection seat is from a SH Mirage F1 kit.

This kit is fifty years old!  But with a bit of work and some replacement detail parts, I hope you'll agree that it still stands up well today.  

• Like 7

13 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I hope you'll agree that it still stands up well today.

It sure does, under your ministrations anyway. I hope I can manage something akin to it when I come to mine. :)

Steve.

• Thanks 1