Hawker Sea Hurricane IIb Conversion to Hawker Sea Hurricane IIb 1/48

I have bitten the bullet and made the first cuts on the 1/48 Hasegawa Hurricane IIb to make the conversion to a Sea Hurricane IIb.

The aircraft I want to model is Hawker Sea Hurricane IIb JS355 of 800 NAS, HMS Bitter, Operation Torch Nov 1942. 

On 08.11.42 the aircraft was used by Cdr JM Bruen to destroy a DW520 over Oran airfield. 

This is the last Aircraft I will model of those flown by Cdr Bruen having already modelled his Skua, Fulmar, Sea Hurricane I.

Following the instructions given to me for this conversion by @Troy Smith (to whom I must give great thanks), I have sliced off the lower section of the fuselage from each fuselage half.  I then cut the Airfix lower fuselage section which has the recesses for the arrestor hook to shorten it slightly (I cut it wrong the first time) and it is taped in place at the moment.  I need to figure out where to score on the inside to try and get a bit of a curve on the fuselage side wall at the bottom as Troy suggested, which I think will be about bottom longeron level. 

52848270516_3e532a739a_o.jpg

52848457354_3e6d0ba08a_o.jpg

52848457359_12c498c00c_o.jpg

Once done I'll build out the cockpit then follow the instructions.  I assume that the dog kennel needs to be reshaped so as to not have the recess that Hasegawa built into it and shaped more like the Airfix version? 

The wing tips sections will need to be reshaped to give a flatter profile in the span

52848668560_cced4c8ed5_o.jpg

I also need to drag around in the spares box for some four spoked wheels.  After that its glue and lots of filler...

Thanks for looking in..

• Like 6

Ooooooo nice, great start GB this looks very interesting, on my kit the dog house is sloped in at the front as opposed to stepped.  The two cockpit vents on the outside of fuselage also might be surplus to requirement too. Looking forward to seeing this develope.

Chris

57 minutes ago, Grey Beema said:

I need to figure out where to score on the inside to try and get a bit of a curve on the fuselage side wall at the bottom as Troy suggested, which I think will be about bottom longeron level.

the Hase fuselage does not curve in just behind the wing, going straight down.

the fuselage curves in, the light catching on the Shuttleworth Sea Hurricane. bottom of the L

sh15.jpg

you need to make a 3mm cut between the fuselage fillet and wing walkway to all the the bend to happen

The below compared to the kit should show the shape difference.  It not a huge amount, and you can overbend the plastic, and it will keep a lesser curve.  You get a small easy to fill gap.  

Note, the Airfix kit is little longer than the Hase kit in the rear fuselage, so you need to trim the Airfix fuselage.   

Note for Mk.II with the knuckle tailwheel, you need to trim the front of the tailwheel cutout.

sh27.jpg

sh26.jpg

sh23.jpg

all from

the tailwheel cutout is well shown here, along with useful wartime hook details

RAVAGER%2036.jpg

I don't know if appropriate to your model, but nota at this stage (Oct 44) there is an aerial behind the radiator and also in the wing, look at the roundels.

Still not round to photoing the tweaks myself.

HTH

HTH

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A bit more work done on turning the Hurricane IIb into a Sea Hurricane IIb.

All control surfaces have been removed and reshaped ready for being refitted, slightly displaced.

Listening carefully to @Troy Smith's advice I scored the inside of the fuselage following the line of the longeron on the outside, then with pliers put a slight bend into the fuselage to mate with the Airfix insert.  This hasn't made for a perfect insert but hopefully this will clean up ok - There is a bunch of sprue gloop in it at the moment.  I also shortened the Has underside fillet to allow the butt joint with the Airfix insert on a panel line.

52861987249_6aa8f5eeec_o.jpg

52861987239_3f4880f90f_o.jpg[/url}

52862210240_54ff15a421_o.jpg

I haven't put the end piece of the keel in yet, I need to see how big a further cut out in the front piece to accommodate the MkII tail wheel.

As also noted in Troy's post the top of the cowl is a bit too flat, I pushed the top edge up a bit to make it a bit more rounded, sprue gloop in that to fill the slight gap.  This has given me a small ridge at the cowl / cockpit join to sand down but not too big an issue.

52862258033_cb5f05bd08_o.jpg

Bit of work around the wing inserts etc again Sprue gloop to get them smoothed out a bit.  I also filled in the recess around the Dog Kennel; and I have straightened out the wing tips to a triangle cross section

52862258138_a95c93282e_o.jpg

52862210335_c3349599d1_o.jpg

52861241357_84544a12aa_o.jpg

52861987194_f18ba80fa2_o.jpg

As always with a Grey Beema model there is loads of sanding and polishing to get on with now.

Thanks for looking in..

• Like 8

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job converting this into something decent despite the kits short Cummings.  Looks great so far.

Chris

Thanks Chris, I never like to do anything to easy!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Blimey; I haven't updated this thread since 02/05 and here we are at 31/05.  

The Hurricane has been rubbed down and all of the seams given the once over.  It got its undercoat of Halfords rattle can Aluminium and last weekend received its camouflage coat, which I don't think look too bad.

I was looking through the  decals and found I didn't have the US Stars with the yellow surround I needed.  I made up a series of masks by hand and have sprayed up the markings - not perfect I know but after a bit of cleaning up I don't think they are to bad.  Investing in a silhouette cutter might will make cutting masks a bit easier but is it worth the investment?

This is what the markings looked like once the masking had been removed - needs a bit of a clean up, mainly because the masking film I use is a bit thick I think and doesn't really press down so well.

52940565479_02d7366504_o.jpg

52939820602_cf796f1f47_o.jpg

52939820567_0b17f25423_o.jpg

With a bit of clean up this is what I ended up with - good enough for government work I think especially when a little light weathering is applied.

52940565434_ee8eb71228_o.jpg

52940418491_5f9d16c4e4_o.jpg

52940418481_56048840e0_o.jpg

I am going to let that cure overnight then get some satin varnish on it tomorrow hopefully..

Thanks for looking in

• Like 8

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic GB, the painting of the yellow borders is a job very well done and with the camouflage scheme on looks awesome.

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris.  It was all a bit nerve wracking tbh as you can’t see how you are doing until you peel off the mask at then end, by which time it’s too late..  but in this case it seems to have come out ok.

Hopefully it will come out as well as your Sea Hurricane..

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am calling this one finished, been beavering away at it but life kind of of got in the way, been asked to dig a project out of the mire which is taking up all my time..

52998528855_dcc9abd62b_o.jpg

52998157251_0d87e8c81c_o.jpg

I'll put more photos in an RFI.

Thanks for Stopping by..

• Like 6

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh no, what a fantastic Sea Hurricane GB , looks superb.

Great work

Chris

Well, I wouldn’t go that far but thank you.

Now I’m thinking Sea Fury for the FAA Group Build but I might start a Wildcat V in the meantime….

• Like 1