For the Album.

I wasn't going to start a WIP on my current project BUT muchmirth expressed an interest in the project as it is currently one of his three options aka a bunker diorama.

The project started/formed after researching the Panzer 38(t) having just received the Tamiya offering with ALL the AM bling one could hope for; however, I also wished to start using some of the older kits in my stash. I had stumbled across an article, with a few photos of questionable quality, of bunkers that had been fortified(?) using the turret of an E/F Panzer 38(t) turret (and other tank turrets), which as I read on was quite common practice by the Germans. Knowing I had the most HORRID of Panzer 38(t) kits in my stash (Italeri kit number 212) I thought I would utilise it. The kit has the accuracy of a blunderbuss at 1000m, the turret; however, was usable to a point. That said, kit sans turret was binned.

So, with a bunker in mind, a tank turret to use, what else could I use up? Enter the ancient Tamiya Soldiers at Rest kit number 35129. So, shitty tank turret and questionable ancient soldier set on hand, and limiting myself to what I have, no buying stuff for this, off I set, like a drunk wandering home from the pub thinking those last four pints were a fantastic idea.

Rummage through the shed, 10mm Gyprock, 6mm MDF and some XPF wall insulation, brilliant start, might make it home from the drunken stagger after all.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

This WIP is going to be adhoc, with leaps in progress as the photos were sent to a friend and not really taken with a stage by stage WIP in mind.

Follow along if you wish and let's see if I make it home after all those pints.

Thank you for looking.

Edited by Crayons
  • Like 8

19 hours ago, Keeff said:

This looks intriguing.... I'll tag along on your 'drunken' stagger home if I may? 

Keith 😁 

Happy to have the company Keith.

So, as I had said the turret was mostly usable. It is over scale, but what is a few mm's between friends? I'm not sure what drugs the Italeri guys were on when they made the master for this kit, but they should stop taking them. Checking it against the Panzer Tracts book, it seems to be a C/D hybrid turret (mid production if the illicit substances are right), but even then, it lacks obvious details. Nothing some styrene can't fix, right? I robbed the turret machine gun from the Tamiya kit as I have the Panzer Art replacements and to make the kit part accurate would have required styrene sorcery beyond any rewards gained. I used a thin piece of photo etch fret made up the front sight shroud. The base for the commanders periscope was a press mould from the Tamiya kit as the part in my kit was a misshapen lump. The new periscope was made from styrene rod and tube. All the rivet locations are out and the kit lacks the rivets on the underside of the turret basket, can't see them anyways, but OCD for the win.

I did make one compromise, I punched flat rivets as replacements for the domed ones on the actual vehicle. The commanders hatch was totally wrong as were his cupola vision slits, styrene to the rescue. There is no MG bump stop provided, drink can aluminium to the resolve that. What I didn't bother adding is the rain guard over the gunners optic ports. Reference showed it on some vehicles and missing from others. And the kit is missing one (well, mine was) of the holes for the gunners optics. One thing I could not correct without more sorcery, was the commanders cupola plate layout. Again, I can live with it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for looking.

Edited by Crayons
  • Like 3

Bunker door constructed from styrene and a door looking locking system(?) from the bits box. No idea what it is from, but I must have thought it looked useful.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

The figures. Bodies are the Tamiya Soldiers at Rest set as mentioned previously. The heads are all Hornet replacements from my stash. The hands are Royal Model offerings from my stash. The figure with the camera. His arms came from a figure I purchased (Callsign Models, Vietnam War Correspondent) from my LHS as part of a present for a friends birthday, not realising that two identical sets of arms were in the kit, which he later gave me for my Body Parts Box. FINALLY they have found a use. The gramophone is a 3d print which I later decided I didn't like, so I designed another based off of a photo I found on the internet of some German soldiers relaxing whilst reading the newspaper and playing cards. The table is styrene from my off cuts box. Mag pouch and holster also from the bits box.

Edit: Forgot to add, the figure with the camera is why the diorama is named as it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you for looking.

Edited by Crayons
  • Like 7

• 5 weeks later...

Well just saw this!! Terrifically entertaining. All looks great, especially the scratch/kit bash turret plus a brilliant composition idea.
cheers for posting, 

Paul

Edited by Muchmirth
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Muchmirth said:

Well just saw this!! Terrifically entertaining. All looks great, especially the scratch/kit bash turret plus a brilliant composition idea.
cheers for posting, 

Paul

Thanks Paul. You've just rocked up in time to see the photo's of the finished base. Which I will admit a dose of laziness plus the man flu (must've been from the cold night staggering home from the pub) has resulted in me only just posting them now despite finishing it two weeks ago.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The turret numbers are the kit supplied decals, I just cut them and changed the order.

With these posted, I'd say the drunken stagger has made it as far as the front door of home. The figures are ongoing and will complete the trip through the front door, up the stairs and to bed.

Thanks you for looking.

• Like 6

Thanks Pete and Paul. It's been a fun build using up some of the old kits in my stash.

1 hour ago, Muchmirth said:

Looks even better with the paint job. You’ve made this look a bit easy! 
All the best,

Paul

It was easy, well, I found it easy. Any questions, please feel free to message me Paul. I'm certainly no TMMI or MIM level of model builder, but I am happy to help if I can.

• Thanks 1