1/48 Hasegawa Vought F-8E

Pappy

G'day people,

I signed up for this build and have the kit and bits sorted. The start of this GB season has resulted in many of my elected GBs all being smashed together in the front part of the year which means I am busier than a one armed paper hanger but I will still give it a crack.

Pack shot

DSCN9331.JPG

The stuff inside

DSCN8853.JPG

I have made a modest start by removing panels that will have additional detail added behind them starting with the air brake. The engraving  near the kit,s edges seems to almost disappear, unfortunately this seems to be a common foible of Hasegawa kits from this era. Many pics of parked 'Saders show the air brake drooped and I wanted to replicate this feature

DSCN8856.JPG

DSCN8860.JPG

Next up the gun bay. I decided to only open the left side even though the resin set includes the right bay as well. I will use the right bay on a second kit should I ever get around to building another one. The other thing is that removing the gun access panels also means removing the intake assembly locators. I can live with one missing but I think that with both removed the fit and alignment of the intake assembly may suffer. This kit is going to get a lot of stuff packed into the fuselage i.e. intake assembly , cockpit tub , speed brake bay, MWW , wing bay and engine exhaust so I want to minimise the possibility of misalignment as much as possible

DSCN8855.JPG

DSCN8858.JPG

DSCN8857.JPG

DSCN8859.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

• Pappy changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa Chance Vought F-8E
1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great to see you in the GB mate and you're off to a very good start already with your usual precision and clean work.

I shall tag along for the rest of the ride.

🇺🇦

G'day Craig, thanks for the welcome,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

G'day people,

I assembled the MLG bay today

DSCN8874.JPG

It is looking a little plain, it needs a visit from the plumbers I think. The nose bay is also a simple affair and I only added some PE and a little extra wiring as it is not immediately visible unlike the MLG bay

DSCN8899.JPG

DSCN8866.JPG

The intake assembly comprises two horizontally split halves and required some sanding to eliminate the seam

DSCN8868.JPG

I have not had much luck with the ceiling paint method so I resorted to a hairy stick to paint the intake. This is two thin coats of gloss, a couple more needed. I find that if I use several thin coats the paint tends to level out and fill any minor seams that remain

DSCN8900.JPG

The fuselage interiors were sprayed in preparation for the addition of the cockpit and gun bay

DSCN8863.JPG

Finally the tub was prepped for the (pre-painted) etch  which involved removing the raised detail and adding the PE overlays which I was in two minds about

DSCN8878.JPG

I don't like the result at all, I don't think the PE overlays look convincing at all and instantly regretted it. The instrument panel looks a little more convincing and better than I could manage with paint alone

DSCN8883.JPG

While doing the research I discovered that very early F-8Es featured the angled radar scope (as provided in the kit) and the tail did not feature the RWR . From about 1967 onward the RWR was installed or retrofitted and the radar scope had a vertical orientation. Be careful as the Hasegawa instructions would have you chop off the RWR. The vertically orientated radar display just needed the addition of a triangular section behind it made from some scrap

DSCN8907.JPG

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, modelling minion said:

More good work Pappy, though I agree that the etched panels on the cockpit tub doesn't look as good as the the original plastic, the IP does look very good though.

🇺🇦

Oh well it is done now and lesson learned for next time. Once the seat goes in I think that will become the main focus and the side consoles will be of lesser importance,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 1

• Pappy changed the title to 1/48 Hasegawa Vought F-8E
1 hour ago, Pappy said:

Oh well it is done now and lesson ,earned for next time. Once the seat goes in I think that will become the main focus and the side consoles will be of lesser importance,

cheers,

Pappy

I agree, once the seat is in very little else will be visible in the cockpit.

🇺🇦

G'day people,

I pent today working on the interior assemblies

First up the port gun bay

DSCN8877.JPG

Next the air brake well

DSCN8865.JPG

The bay sits in the cavity nicely and looks convincingly busy

DSCN8871.JPG

However it does sit a little low and will require some rudimentary mounts to be fashioned for it to sit at the correct height

DSCN8872.JPG

The last assembly was the 'zorst. I went with a resin item to correct the issue with the kit provided item being too long

DSCN8902.JPG

DSCN8905.JPG

The item also has better detail, especially the turbine face but I forgot to take a pic before assembling as I was in 'the zone' and beetling along,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Any chance of you slowing down mate as you're showing the rest of us up.

The details in the gun bay and air brake look very good.

🇺🇦

G'day Craig,

Thanks very much. The detail is great and just needs careful painting to make it pop. As for slowing down, your wish will soon be granted as my bench time will be limited for the next little while so I have been a little manic with the time I have,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

I spent today working on the cockpit. The tub fit into the fuselage quite well but the area behind the tub is completely devoid of any detail. I decided to build a small cubby hole that will have some additional detail added

DSCN9069.JPG

DSCN8906.JPG

I then turned to the issue of seat The kit seat is not quite right and looks like a cross between the MB.5 and MB.7 (the latter used in the F-8J), the biggest external difference being the parachute pack. The -5 had a soft canvas container inside a hard, flat sided shell. The -7 parachute container dispensed with the outer case and used a fiberglass container with a canvas top. I lined up my collection of seats.

DSCN8889.JPG

DSCN8886.JPG

The kit seat is in the middle (with PE added) and two different resin seats either side. Although the detail on the resin seats is far superior, all three are not quite right for the reasons described earlier. I did find a decent 3D printed seat and although quite reasonably priced I just could not justify paying the 24 Euro postage (AKA the 'Australia tax") just for a seat which is more than I paid for the kit so they can jam that where the sun don't shine!

I will just use the seat on the left. Incidentally, both of the resin seats purport to be MB.5s for the F-8E. To take some of the emphasis off the parapapack I added some seat safing streamers. I had to assemble the PE harness from several PE strap sub-assemblies. I realise PE is not everyone's cup of chai but I had a ball!

DSCN8896.JPG

DSCN8898.JPG

DSCN8897.JPG

The final job was to paint the separate canopy frame to which PE had been added

DSCN8880.JPG

That will be may last post for a little while until I can get back to the bench,

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 10

On 4/26/2023 at 11:23 PM, Wings unlevel said:

Come for the razor saw surgery skills, stay for the ejection seat makeover! 

I am quite handy with a blade

On 4/27/2023 at 8:46 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Pappy my apologies for saying Hello. Lovely work so far. 

No need to apologize for saying hello, or were you apologizing for not saying hello!

cheers,

Pappy

Edited by Pappy
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Pappy said:

I am quite handy with a blade

No need to apologise for saying hello (or ere you apologising for not saying hello!

cheers,

Pappy

Yes hmm well I meant to say I apologize for not saying hello. I guess I was tired thats my story and Im sticking to it. 😉

On 4/28/2023 at 2:23 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes hmm well I meant to say I apologize for not saying hello. I guess I was tired thats my story and Im sticking to it. 😉

Story checks out!

Pappy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 5:05 AM, Hewy said:

Superb, as usual

On 5/5/2023 at 4:45 PM, heloman1 said:

Some neat detail work going on there Pappy, looking good...

Colin

Thanks gents

On 5/6/2023 at 4:19 AM, Hewy said:

Another browse, for inspiration 

Browse away!

G'day people,

Finally got back to the bench and with the SSD GB entry done I can direct some attention back to this guy.

I added and painted up the gubbins for the little cubby hole behind the turtle deck. Just so you know it is mostly imaginary so anyone planning on using this WIP for reference you have been warned

DSCN9894.JPG

DSCN9893.JPG

I used a small lead sinker to make the LOX tank and carious bits of scrap for the plumbing. Not much will be visble as most of this bay will be obscured by the main canopy rear bulkhead so it is more about providing the impression that there is something there. It is what the late, great Shep Payne referred to as 'creative gizmology'

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That's very nice work mate, very effective.👍

🇺🇦

Thanks Craig, a quick and dirty test fit confirmed my suspicions that not much will be seen but I had fun.

I was very happy with how my LOX container turned out which will be handy if I ever need to scratch another,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

G'day people,

A little more done today, The MWW are very visible when the 'Sader is on the deck and the kit items though quite acceptable could of course be improved. I have started to add some gubbins and some odds and end to busy this area up. I am not shooting for absolute accuracy but a more 'representative' look of general busyness, basically something to apply and hold a wash

DSCN9899.JPG

DSCN9900.JPG

The wing bay will also get some attention though really only the front 25% will actually be visible. I don't think replacing this area with resin is really worthwhile (IMHO)  so I will have a crack at this area myself. Made a start already

DSCN9901.JPG

More to come...

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 7