1:48 Boulton Paul Defiant ASR Mk.I *FINISHED*

Dunny

5 hours ago, JackG said:

That is indeed great use of 3D designing into your project.

I took another stab at the  colours and incorporated a few more details into the sample artwork.   One item not discussed was the date of when the photo of BA  was taken.   An older posting on these forums stated the blue of the roundel could fade quickly so have lighten/brightened just the blue for the national marking.   Similarly have adjusted the EDSG but only roughly half as much.   The colour work has also incorporated some brightness along the top of the fuselage to mimic the bright sun in the period photo.  A final adjustment of contrast by a factor of 25 before inputting into the b/w film emulator.

PAUL-base-color-faded-blues-and-sunlight

Decided to use the yellow filter as this apparently was the most common one to use with ortho.   It slightly lightens the yellow ring.

The final or third step displays what happens when further  contrast is applied to an existing photo.

Nice work Jack - the TSS contrast is certainly notable, and I'm convinced! Really appreciate your effort,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Nice job on the cad work Roger, they look fantastic.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - hopefully not too small to print properly!

6 hours ago, AndyL said:

Nice work on the riveting. It's noticable on the Defiant ( as per image), but I doubt I'll do that to mine as I'm sure to mess it up!

gBzIZAP.jpg

Thanks Andy - yes I am rather error prone too but slow and sure is the way...

• Like 1

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Defiant today (back in the theatre of the real, following my digital forays yesterday). Early work was on detail painting, weathering and oil washes in the cockpit. Here's the separate sub-assemblies:

20230430-134824.jpg

Here's the instrument panel which just used the kit decal, which was then flat coated and the instruments picked out with gloss:

20230430-135039.jpg

Doesn't look too bad? I added an Airscale compass as there was nothing in the kit:

20230430-135052.jpg

And here's the assembly just before buttoning up:

20230430-135404.jpg

And after buttoning up:

20230430-140519.jpg

Next was the wings - here's a shot of the undercarriage bays:

20230430-141003.jpg

Although unconventional in construction the wings fit together beautifully, so we very quickly got to here:

20230430-152852.jpg

You can see that the rivetting shows up quite nicely - let's hope it survives primer & paint! That's all for now, but I'll hopefully get the under-wing stores printed this week,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 15

23 hours ago, Dunny said:

Thanks very much Alistair,

I've used CAD professionally for over 30 years but it's a relatively new addition for me to this wonderful hobby. It's actually pretty straightforward once you grasp the fundamentals of creating forms. Also handy not having to shell out on a printer 🤩

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

a quick question if I may - I've also been using AutoCAD for 30-odd years (starting with Release 9 on an Olivetti 286!), but 2D only. Fusion is an Autodesk product, isn't it? How "easy" did you find it to get to grips with?

Many thanks,

Mark

• Like 4

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Roger,

a quick question if I may - I've also been using AutoCAD for 30-odd years (starting with Release 9 on an Olivetti 286!), but 2D only. Fusion is an Autodesk product, isn't it? How "easy" did you find it to get to grips with?

Many thanks,

Mark

It's pretty straightforward Mark - same principles, just with an extra dimension! I'm sure you'd have no problems picking it up,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Dunny said:

It's pretty straightforward Mark - same principles, just with an extra dimension! I'm sure you'd have no problems picking it up,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks, Roger, I think it's got to be worth having a go at the very least!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Roger, I think it's got to be worth having a go at the very least!

Cheers,

Mark 

Go on - you know you want to! It's free too...

• Haha 4

The cockpit is looking great Roger, the IP looks fantastic too. Great work and great to see the airframe go together and looking forward to paint.   Fingers crossed the rivets are still visible. 

I wonder if it would be worth doing them at the primer stage and then they would only have the top coats but the downside is having to work around complex shapes of fuselage and wings, so maybe not such a good idea🙄

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

The cockpit is looking great Roger, the IP looks fantastic too. Great work and great to see the airframe go together and looking forward to paint.   Fingers crossed the rivets are still visible. 

I wonder if it would be worth doing them at the primer stage and then they would only have the top coats but the downside is having to work around complex shapes of fuselage and wings, so maybe not such a good idea🙄

Chris

Interesting thought Chris, although the potential damage to the primer might cause more problems than it solves...

• Like 3

The rivetting looks great but it wouldn't necessarily show up under all conditions.  So overpainting might not be a problem (but I see we don't want to lose all your good work).  Wot I'm rabbitting about is here

def15.JPG

Can see the rivets quite well under the blue, but far less so under the night - just a hint.  If it helps reconcile the painting effects .......

Just trying to help ...

Rob

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

I added an Airscale compass as there was nothing in the kit:

Strange omission that.  Same in 1:72.  Yet it is one of the more noticeable features in there in my opinion. 

It's all looking good, Roger

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

Just trying to help ...

Gratefully accepted Rob. On past experience I think the rivetting will be fine - as long as a bit of Flory wash stays in there it should add a bit of depth to the finish,

Cheers,

Roger 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mark.au said:

What a productive day.  Nice work all round, the cockpit looks very nice indeed.

Thanks very much Mark! It's a very easy kit to throw together, so I'm looking forward to getting some TSS on this fugly beast!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

On 4/29/2023 at 12:58 AM, Dunny said:

Hi All,

Another quick update. After the 3D wrangling with the dinghy pod I made short work of the smoke flare rack:

Smoke-Flares.png

I have spent so much time learning Fusion 360 that when I saw that image, I instinctively held down shift and the middle mouse button to try to rotate the view. I think I need help 🤪.

Lovely work, Roger.

• Haha 7

7 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Just in from work Roger and that all looks pretty good from this end.

The IP is fairly spectacular.

Nicely done.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - the kit has been faultless so far

7 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I have spent so much time learning Fusion 360 that when I saw that image, I instinctively held down shift and the middle mouse button to try to rotate the view. I think I need help 🤪.

Lovely work, Roger.

Thanks very much John - it is rather habit-forming!

• Like 2

Excellent cockpit finishing in the theatre of the real, Roger.

13 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

I have spent so much time learning Fusion 360 that when I saw that image, I instinctively held down shift and the middle mouse button to try to rotate the view

Yes! I seem to try that on every screen print I take! So glad it’s not just me :blush: :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Fritag said:

Excellent cockpit finishing in the theatre of the real, Roger.

Yes! I seem to try that on every screen print I take! So glad it’s not just me :blush: :D

Thanks very much Steve. Have ordered the underwing stores today so hopefully won't be too long...

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

What with life being busy combined with a bit of a mojo slump, it's been a long time between drinks on this one! I've been off work today after a bit of a reaction to a 'flu shot, but am feeling a bit better now so decided to nudge things along a bit. I got my 3D printed parts back at the beginning of last week:

20230509-171431.jpg

The flares need a little careful cleanup, but they should look alright under a coat of paint! Part of the reason for this stalling a little is the poor fit of the central glazing section. You can see here the difference between the open cockpit section on the right, and the closed section on the left:

20230513-134652.jpg

The open section is narrower by a couple of mm - this is bizarre as I had no such issues last time I built this kit, and all appears to be assembled correctly on the fuselage! I elected to assemble a suitable fix by using the side sections cut off the closed section, along with a shimmed upper section. Here's the parts after cutting up (along with the shim):

20230518-162456.jpg

And here with the shimmed section glued together:

20230518-163138.jpg

Once that's set properly I'll sand it all back to be smooth before painting the internal surfaces. The side panels will locate nicely against the pilot's armour plate, but I thought the upper section could do with a bit of help so I've made up a hydraulic cylinder from lengths of 1mm and 0.8mm plastic rod:

20230518-165943.jpg

That'll all get painted and assembled over the weekend. In other news, the old stash has been looking rather depleted of late, so I've treated myself to a couple of gentleman's scale lovelies:

20230518-170659.jpg

20230518-170710.jpg

And after much waiting patiently, this beauty:

20230518-170725.jpg

If that doesn't put a spring in a chap's step, nothing's going to! More to come at the weekend,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 11

Hi Roger

Great to see this again, I like your solution for the canopy area and great to see the 3d bits arrives.  I hope your Mojo makes a swift recovery and you feel better after the jab too.

Nice haul too fella, a Barracuda,  awesome and a Vilderbeast, I sold mind a few years ago and regret that.  The Anson looks such a sweet kit too, are you doing an all yellow aircraft??? :whistle:

Great work

Chris

• Like 4

Just now, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Roger

Great to see this again, I like your solution for the canopy area and great to see the 3d bits arrives.  I hope your Mojo makes a swift recovery and you feel better after the jab too.

Nice haul too fella, a Barracuda,  awesome and a Vilderbeast, I sold mind a few years ago and regret that.  The Anson looks such a sweet kit too, are you doing an all yellow aircraft??? :whistle:

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Not sure about the Anson - I'm pretty tempted by one of the box schemes which is an RAAF bird in Earth Brown & Foliage Green over White - very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks Chris,

Not sure about the Anson - I'm pretty tempted by one of the box schemes which is an RAAF bird in Earth Brown & Foliage Green over White - very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Roger

Oh yes that is a very nice scheme.

Chris

• Like 2

Nice progress on the Defiant, and some good rectification work, too. The smoke floats and carrier are excellent. Hope the mojo is duly restored and the flu jab's effects have worn off.

That's a rather good haul! The Annie is tempting me as well - there was a rather nice build in the ED/FG/White RAAF scheme in April's SAM. The cockpit framework looks terrifying and yet fantastic at the same time :D 

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Nice progress on the Defiant, and some good rectification work, too. The smoke floats and carrier are excellent. Hope the mojo is duly restored and the flu jab's effects have worn off.

That's a rather good haul! The Annie is tempting me as well - there was a rather nice build in the ED/FG/White RAAF scheme in April's SAM. The cockpit framework looks terrifying and yet fantastic at the same time :D 

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks for that Mark - I've been drooling over the sprues and they look superb. A much harder plastic than usual, and the fabric finish is stunning. 2 mojo bars restored just by talking about it, 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 4