1:48 Boulton Paul Defiant ASR Mk.I *FINISHED*

Dunny

Progressing very nicely.

I always learn stuff from your builds although you do tend to make them a tad more elegantly.

Nice additions of some extremely good looking kits.

I'm looking forward to building the Annie myself and am excited to see what you do with it.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Progressing very nicely.

I always learn stuff from your builds although you do tend to make them a tad more elegantly.

Nice additions of some extremely good looking kits.

I'm looking forward to building the Annie myself and am excited to see what you do with it.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks very much Alistair - I'm not sure elegant is the word I'd use! Very excited by the Annie - it looks to be a superb kit. Also quite excited by the Bewilderbeast, although perhaps I should be scared...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 2

Hi All,

Some good progress on the Defiant today, with the mojo flowing strongly! First job of the day was to test fit the rear cockpit assembly:

20230520-105324.jpg

That all looks fine, and more importantly there are no gaps or holes! 🤩 Here's the hydraulic actuator painted:

20230520-130245.jpg

Once that had all been fixed in position it was time to spray some interior grey green on the glazing:

20230520-132714.jpg

Next up the first coat of primer:

20230520-134436.jpg

That revealed the usual seams to be corrected and minor blemishes to be sorted. Once I'd laid down a second coat I preshaded with Nato Black:

20230520-142311.jpg

Next was mist coats of Sky:

20230520-143754.jpg

Once I'd masked up the Sky the DSG was laid down. Here's early in the piece:

20230520-151137.jpg

And once the preshade had disappeared to my satisfaction - I also sprayed a highlight coat lightened with Mid-Stone:

20230520-152602.jpg

That's looking pretty good - also quite pleasing that the rivets are showing up nicely (and therefore worth the effort 👏). Once that had dried I masked up for the EDSG:

20230520-162115.jpg

The EDSG was then sprayed, and highlight coat lightened with Sky Grey added. And here we are after unmasking:

20230520-164246.jpg

20230520-164319.jpg

To be fair, there's not much that doesn't look good in TSS, but I DO like this scheme! I'll be on to the markings tomorrow,

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 13

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wow, Roger, that is looking fantastic! You're right about TSS, but it does suit the Defiant.

On the home straight now!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks very much Mark - looking forward to getting the markings on and bringing it to life!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

It already looks great, Roger.  I predict it’ll be (if slightly ungainly) a stunner!

On 4/30/2023 at 7:22 AM, Dunny said:

Although unconventional in construction the wings fit together beautifully

You’re more of a craftsman then me - I’m at the wings stage and have ended up with some small gaps to fill; no doubt due to operator induced clamping inadequacies :D

On 5/18/2023 at 8:59 AM, Dunny said:

The open section is narrower by a couple of mm - this is bizarre as I had no such issues last time I built this kit

I’m probably being dim - but isn’t the ‘canopy open’ middle section deliberately undersize so the ‘canopy open’ canopy can fit over it?

1 hour ago, Fritag said:

I’m probably being dim - but isn’t the ‘canopy open’ middle section deliberately undersize so the ‘canopy open’ canopy can fit over it?

Not dim at all Steve. It's a bizarre mismatch which I cannot figure. Last time I built the kit the same component fit perfectly. Anyway, all sorted!

Cheers,

Roger

Just catching up with this one Roger. 

Great work. It’s making me think I need to get my kit out of the loft and crack on with it. 

Look forward to seeing it with markings on. 

James

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Just catching up with this one Roger. 

Great work. It’s making me think I need to get my kit out of the loft and crack on with it. 

Look forward to seeing it with markings on. 

James

Thanks James - you do not have long to wait 😉

• Like 1

That looks great Roger.  

Can I ask a "newbie" question please?  

On 20/05/2023 at 08:49, Dunny said:

And here we are after unmasking:

Was that posting showing just a single day's effort?   If so I really will have to look at airbrushing more closely 'cos that would have taken me an age (or a fortnight which can seem like an age when waiting for paint to dry) AND I would have clogged the surface detail with paint!

cheers

Rob

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zephyr91 said:

That looks great Roger.  

Can I ask a "newbie" question please?  

Was that posting showing just a single day's effort?   If so I really will have to look at airbrushing more closely 'cos that would have taken me an age (or a fortnight which can seem like an age when waiting for paint to dry) AND I would have clogged the surface detail with paint!

cheers

Rob

Rob,

It was indeed a single day's work. I airbrush with aqueous acrylics which dry quickly...

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Another strong day's progress on the Defiant! First job of the day was masking up for the squadron and aircraft codes. Here's the masks in place:

20230521-101805.jpg

I used the roundel mask as a spacer - the roundel itself will come from the spares box. Here's the codes in Sky  and the aircraft serial done, with a surprise gloss coat to boot:

20230521-110115.jpg

Roundels and fin flashes were a mixture of kit and spare decals:

20230521-123015.jpg

You can see that the riveting is still quite prominent, which is rather gratifying! Here we are with a Flory wash in place:

20230521_133451.jpg

Once that had been removed flat coats were duly applied:

20230521_140029.jpg

Not looking too bad? Next I started adding undercarriage and fiddly bits, and most importantly the under-wing stores! On this point most depictions of this scheme show the dinghy pod in yellow. I could think of no good reason for this, and a look back at the prototype pod reinforced my opinion that the pod itself was probably painted Sky:

52611788512-5eb9d56e7c-h.jpg

Anyway, that's what I chose to do so here's how they look:

20230521_160008.jpg

That'll do for me!! Here's where I've ended up, which will probably see me finish next weekend:

20230521_154422.jpg

Conclusive proof that even a Defiant can look good in TSS!

Thanks for looking,

Roger

• Like 11

4 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I think you understate it.

Even a Defiant can look stunning in TSS is closer for me.

Absolutely stunning work yet again Roger.

Seriously beautiful.

Cheers,

You are too kind Alistair - I'm pretty pleased with the result and hope the addition of the turret will not detract from the finished effect,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I think you understate it.

Even a Defiant can look stunning in TSS is closer for me.

Absolutely stunning work yet again Roger.

Seriously beautiful.

Cheers,

Alistair

Agree with you absolutely, Alistair - Roger, she's a beaut!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Agree with you absolutely, Alistair - Roger, she's a beaut!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks very much Mark - most kind!

Just now, Zephyr91 said:

What a ridiculous question!!  Should be ashamed of yourself.     It looks awf  awesome!  :like: :clap2:

Rob

Thanks Rob - I'm not displeased with the result!

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow, Roger it looks fantastic in TSS, great job on the paintwork,  the riveting has turned out absolutely beautifully  and the underwing stores look Great too.

Cracking quick work fella.

Chris

Thanks very much Chris - I'm pleased that the effort with the riveting has paid off as it is so apparent on the real thing,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3