DH Hornet

I'm building a couple of Mosquitos so I thought it only fair to build the Mossie's little brother; the Hornet.

This is the AZ Model kit.

spacer.png

Let's look at the sprues. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's a short run injection moulded kit, with everything that implies.  I've built a few AZ kits and enjoyed the experience.

There is a problem with this kit.  The engine nacelles and props are totally wrong.  Not to worry though. Aerocraft Models (and @Ali62 ) to the rescue! :D 

spacer.png

Looking forward to this.

• Like 14

An interesting choice Enzo.  I see there are three decal options - are they very different?  That silver/blue scheme on the box art looks particularly nice :coolio:.

12 hours ago, CliffB said:

I see there are three decal options - are they very different? 

There is a 65 Sqn aircraft in overall High Speed Silver with PRU Blue nacelles. C Type roundels

A Central Fighter Establishment aircraft in Medium Sea Grey uppersurfaces and PRU Blue lowersurfaces.  B Type roundels.

An overall HSS aircraft as the personal mount of W/C Neal, the CO of Linton-on-Ouse.  This has D Type roundels.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

There are three boxings of this kit: the F Mk 1, Pr Mk 2 and F Mk 3.  The only difference in each boxing is the decal sheet.  The parts provide options for the different tailplanes and fins.

So let's get started.  The cockpit is all black and so little will be seen.  However the instrument panel is nicely moulded.   I added a seat harness from Eduard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The undercarriage bays have some nice structural detail.   This shot shows now the kit nacelles are far too slim.  The forward parts need to be sawn off.

spacer.png

Here are the wings ready for assembly.

spacer.png

The Aerocraft engines fit perfectly onto the nacelles.  Sadly, the plastic nacelles do not fit well on the wing, so I have added some plastic card packing pieces to prevent a step along the trailing edge.

We are ready for main assembly.

spacer.png

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Ready for the paintshop.  I used my usual technique of a pre-prime coat of clear lacquer followed by grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

I then added the windscreen and masked it.  The canopy is a single piece on this kit, so I sawed the windscreen off.  Aerocraft Models supply a clear resin two peice replacement which would have been better but I didn't have one to hand.

spacer.png

Uppersurfaces sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1003 Medium Sea Grey and then masked.

spacer.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

The undersurfaces were sprayed with Lifecolor UA-621 (which you can't see in this shot! :wall: ).

spacer.png

After a coat of clear lacquer, the decals were applied.  The greeblies are shown ready for fitment.

spacer.png

I didn't like the mainwheels and tailwheel in the kit so I replaced them with items from a Tempest and Mosquito respectively.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...