A brace of Mosquitos

I have never built a two-stage Merlin Mosquito.  Likewise, I have never built a bomber Mosquito.   Time to put that right.

I shall be building the newish Airfix kit.  However, I couldn't make up my mind between the bomber and PR versions.  There is only one possible solution.  Build 'em both!  :lol: 

spacer.png

• Like 11

Rather than post my own poor sprue shots, let me direct you to the excellent reviews by Mike.

As you can see from Mike's sprue shots, the bomber aircraft has a sprue providing bulged bomb bay doors and some bombs to go in the bay, while the PR kit has a smaller sprue providing the relevant standard bomb bay doors.  The bomber version attracted some criticism as the doors are actually for a target tug conversion, which was the aircraft that the Airfix team initially measured.  I feel that is an easy fix.  Just sand off the bulges.

However, I fancy building a post-war aircraft with the weird H2S radar bulge, using the Freightdog conversion set.

spacer.png

As you can see, the Freightdog set provides standard bomb bay doors, so the problem mentioned above goes away.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Build 'em both!  :lol: 

Good to see you putting your money where your mouth is and following your own mantra.😁

Even though I build mostly in 1/48 these two kits are quite enticing so I shall pull up a chair and follow with interest if thats okay.

🇺🇦

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

If you wan to see a really bizarre one, search google for Mosquito TT39.

I really wish I hadn't just done that :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

In that case I'll verify my recently edited draft of a build plan and use the option B 🙂.

Don't do that on my account.  There's plenty of room in the GB for similar builds.

25 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Don't do that on my account.  There's plenty of room in the GB for similar builds.

Thanks, I know there is, but I really want to do the USAAF version 🙂

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So let's get started.   These are the cockpit assemblies.  The upper one is for the B.XVI with H2S radar.  Freightdog provide a very nice resin instrument panel with the additional radar gear.  I have added seat harnesses from Eduard.

spacer.png

Ready to close up the fuselages.

spacer.png

Canopies fitted and masked.  The B.XVI has the nose glazing painted over with what looks like a camera installed poking through the glazing flat panel.  Freightdog provide a resin part to represent this.

spacer.png

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Nacelle interiors painted up.

spacer.png

Wings and nacelles assembled.  I have also assembled the undercarriage components using the wings as an assembly jig, as recommended in the Airfix instructions.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Additional components fitted to the H2S aircraft.  This include the standard weapons bay doors (as opposed to the bilged ones included in the kit), an intake fitted to the starboard side of the fuselage, the H2S radome and a Monica tail warning radar installation fitted to the extreme tail.

spacer.png

Ready for main assembly.

spacer.png

Main assembly complete.  I applied a pre-primer coat of clear lacquer then the main primer coat from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Nice. I hate painting white but I haven’t had a lot of luck with rattlecans lately. I did manage to successfully spray AK white but also noted that it turns to gel when mixed with Tamiya paint :( 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Nice. I hate painting white but I haven’t had a lot of luck with rattlecans lately. I did manage to successfully spray AK white but also noted that it turns to gel when mixed with Tamiya paint :( 

I find that warming the paint by putting the can in warm water for 5 minutes (you could also just leave it outside in the sun at the minute!) thins the paint and helps it go on better.

🇺🇦

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1