Teeny Tiny Flea

My most recent completed build is, of course, the DFW Floh. 🙂

This one is by Elf models (appropriately enough) in 1/72 scale. The kit is a good one, but I had no end of trouble during the finishing stages which I'll spare you the details of, but the crowing glory of which was dropping a pot on a wing after rigging detaching it and completely crushing the interplane struts 😒 Luckily I make all my struts from filed brass rod so after a few days I cautiously removed them straightened them out, repainted and carefully reinserted them retightening the monofilament rigging lines (These are superglued into holes drilled right through the wings) With that done I was able to twist the wing back into place and run a bead of thin cement along the join; not perfect, but better than hurling into the bin . . . 

Trickiest finishing job was adding the thin black line to the edges of the flying surfaces; with the high contrast between colours there's no hiding place and close up photos are not really your friend.

Final job was to add the propeller (hand carved from laminations of ply) and then step slowly away from it 😅

Paul

ps Model is now based up with a 3d printed figure of the designer to give a sense of scale. I was going to use Dick Dastardly, but thought perhaps not 🙃

jvj-n-NhWCHBMQH5qCyeQePQGZmF4z5xMtsnHyW2<a<a Qe3kmbBkzzr1lPoU14-UoK6uMzOPxbgSMYzFDvSRwJkmy5EEZ564iagm2oHgInTcbCqIgaLgSypqvgNcnyL1m3oe9kUJ7BzDPKeqIzLnadNhL9SCBBxp_BuQ

• Like 41

2 hours ago, Dave Slowbuild said:

Superb result Paul!
The figure is a great touch, as you say it gives a sense of scale, which this aircraft really needs so we all appreciate just how tiny it is!

Many thanks Dave, it's certainly a small one alongside the recent DH5 for example 😀

1 hour ago, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi Paul, 

Lovely job of this petite aircraft. Finish is excellent and the figure rounds off the presentation of the model. 

Thanks for sharing 

Kevin 

Hi Kevin.

Glad you like it. I always fancied building one and as soon as this arrived I cleared a (little) bit of the bench for it. 😉

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is a really good build of the little Flea.  I have a Planet Models 1/32 resin kit of the same aircraft and the shape differs from your kit.  It seems the fuselage on my kit is much more narrow.  I have only seen this kit built up once before.  Your painting is impressive as it is very hard to get the black outline around the entire aircraft.  I am struggling with the fit of the different parts and trying to decide how to correct it.  I've started this kit so many times just to be frustrated and put it away for calmer times.  Way to go on finishing your kit.   Looks great and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, georgeusa said:

This is a really good build of the little Flea.  I have a Planet Models 1/32 resin kit of the same aircraft and the shape differs from your kit.  It seems the fuselage on my kit is much more narrow.  I have only seen this kit built up once before.  Your painting is impressive as it is very hard to get the black outline around the entire aircraft.  I am struggling with the fit of the different parts and trying to decide how to correct it.  I've started this kit so many times just to be frustrated and put it away for calmer times.  Way to go on finishing your kit.   Looks great and thanks for sharing.

Cheers George🙂

I checked this one against the windsock datafile and it looked pretty close in out line. Not sure about the Planet model version, but it's such a quirky shape I doubt if anyone would spot a deviations 😉 (I'm pretty sure I've seen a build thread of a 32nd version on the net - I'll see if I can find a link which might be useful.

I ended up painting the outline mainly, but as you say it's not the easiest of colour schemes. You could use black decal stripes for most of the straight bits and fill in the corners and if you pick the earlier style of tailplane that would make life simpler as well. 

Toodleipip

Paul

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaddyO said:

I checked this one against the windsock datafile and it looked pretty close in out line. Not sure about the Planet model version, but it's such a quirky shape I doubt if anyone would spot a deviations 😉 (I'm pretty sure I've seen a build thread of a 32nd version on the net - I'll see if I can find a link which might be useful.

I ended up painting the outline mainly, but as you say it's not the easiest of colour schemes. You could use black decal stripes for most of the straight bits and fill in the corners and if you pick the earlier style of tailplane that would make life simpler as well. 

I have no idea which version is correct, but from your photos and me looking at the actual kit fuselage halves, it seems the Planet Models width is much narrower than your kit's version.  It is an odd little aircraft that looks like it came from a cartoon and not really an actual flying example.  Congrats on you completing your kit and again, it looks great.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Beautifully done. I know it's a cliché to say it looks like a bigger scale, but it looks like a bigger scale :)

And bravo on the figure too!

Regards,

Adrian

🙃 Ha, ha appreciate it Adrian

I think there is or was a 32nd scale version knocking about somewhere and even in 'kiddies scale' it's hardly a shelf filler 😉

I might add a Homberg to the figure at some point to stop the questions about Winston Churchill . . . . 

Cheers

Paul

Edited by DaddyO
typo
  • Haha 1

I love it! Great result with the thin black outlines, they really look very straight and neatly painted. Almost as if the Floh is dressed up in its own little tux. 🕴️

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pyradus said:

I love it! Great result with the thin black outlines, they really look very straight and neatly painted. Almost as if the Floh is dressed up in its own little tux. 🕴️

Cheers matey (I like the idea of it being dressed in a tux, although I do know they were a PITA so I'll avoid the planned Pfalz E1 for a while so that my eyes have time to recover)😉

2 hours ago, Epeeman said:

Great work as ever, Paul -

What an odd looking aircraft though!

Regards

Dave

Thanks Dave

(You know me, I just can't resist those aeronautical oddballs. 🙃

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Wow, that is strikingly beautiful. What an odd looking but cool little aircraft. Your painted figure is stunning too.

Richie

Thank you Ritchie

Certainly gets the cool vote (It's my wife's favourite of the ones that I've made)😊 Glad you like the figure too; I was pleased how he turned out (I spent several years painting figures before starting with early aircraft a couple of years ago)

Paul