Restored Fuerza Aerea Argentina's Douglas A-4C C-322

Sturmovik

I went yesterday to the Museo Nacional de Aeronáutica in Buenos Aires. It was cloudy and began to rain as soon as I got there.

The visit was worth it, because I was able to see the two restored IAI Dagger C-432 and the Douglas A-4C C-322.

Grupo de Restauraciones Aeronáuticas started restoring the A-4C months after the Argentina vuela 2022 (which took place in the platform of the museum). Here are the photos of the restored plane in its Malvinas/Falklands colours, with a bonus photo of the plane in its post war scheme.

Post war scheme:

nH2za7r.jpeg

Restored scheme:

H3jYtKC.jpeg

y0deDHo.jpeg

A1zSuhZ.jpeg

VLvH3dn.jpeg

AKMCQr5.jpeg

TBsW3e6.jpeg

dfsYLBW.jpeg

hiymUCu.jpeg

8LBWOBY.jpeg

HJJvNYO.jpeg

WUnpbS0.jpeg

pUbR46S.jpeg

KTYqGe8.jpeg

D1F3THf.jpeg

yGeXmiz.jpeg

Bonus question: Why are the engines removed when the aircraft are sent to museums?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

In quite a few cases, Aircraft may be sent to Museums because the Airframe has been overstressed, or has internal damage which may not be economical to repair.

It might then be stripped of useful items (Christmas treed) and used as a training aid, a gate guard, or a Museum exhibit. An engine is a very valuable asset.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

original' finish over-painted

The guys at the MNA were ahead of us. The plane was completely stripped of its old camouflage and repainted from the ground.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 17/04/2023 at 15:14, Sturmovik said:

I went yesterday to the Museo Nacional de Aeronáutica in Buenos Aires. It was cloudy and began to rain as soon as I got there.

The visit was worth it, because I was able to see the two restored IAI Dagger C-432 and the Douglas A-4C C-322.

Grupo de Restauraciones Aeronáuticas started restoring the A-4C months after the Argentina vuela 2022 (which took place in the platform of the museum). Here are the photos of the restored plane in its Malvinas/Falklands colours, with a bonus photo of the plane in its post war scheme.

Post war scheme:

nH2za7r.jpeg

Restored scheme:

H3jYtKC.jpeg

y0deDHo.jpeg

A1zSuhZ.jpeg

VLvH3dn.jpeg

AKMCQr5.jpeg

TBsW3e6.jpeg

dfsYLBW.jpeg

hiymUCu.jpeg

8LBWOBY.jpeg

HJJvNYO.jpeg

WUnpbS0.jpeg

pUbR46S.jpeg

KTYqGe8.jpeg

D1F3THf.jpeg

yGeXmiz.jpeg

Bonus question: Why are the engines removed when the aircraft are sent to museums?

Sorry for not post this in english, but i'm very busy now. Generalmente se le sacan los motores para alivianar peso (para moverlo de un lugar a otro sin sobrecargar mucho los neumaticos) y también porque el motor tiene muchos liquidos que pueden afectar la vida y la preservación de la aeronave, aparte de que algunas piezas del motor pueden ser reutilizadas como Repuestos.

On 4/17/2023 at 3:14 PM, Sturmovik said:

(which took place in the platform of the museum).

Hi Fran,

Hope you don't mind. I took the liberty of adding a picture of the stripping off process on C-322, which was terribly caustic. Lots of different layers of paint as varied and diverse as BS, RAL and FS standards, according to what I was told. :hmmm:Strange, as the aircraft was only in US service, huh?

spacer.png 

As much as I like restorations, I'd have liked the bird to have kept her original post war scheme camo. 

Cheers,

Igna