Airfix Walrus

I built this model a few years ago. It was built for an IPMS competition in Stockholm. This year's theme was rescue. I thought the Airfix Walrus would be a good fit.

I started with the interior. The only extra detailing was a map.

spacer.png spacer.png

As usual, the other builds for the competition had taken longer than planned. I only had 14 days to finish. For me it is a very short time.

I used a figure and a liferaft from Verlinden 

spacer.png 

The fit of the parts was very good, the build went so far very quickly. I primed the body and pre-shaded with a dark grey. 

A good way to get the upper wing on the biplane is to turn the model upside down. I waited to glue it until the lower wing and body were painted.

spacer.png spacer.png

I made a simple base for the model. The camouflage is painted with MrPaint colors.

spacer.png spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 14

Fabulous work. I love the airman in the dinghy about to be rescued - it kind of brings the Walruses and the their crews to life, if that makes sense. The interior looks incredible, and the map is a great touch!

Looking forward to your next post.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Mark, I had some aftermarket parts for the interior but I think that the Airfix interior is good enough.

I did some extra detailing on the engine with some ignition cables. The rigging is done with thin piano wire and elastic thread.

spacer.png  spacer.png

I used a 0,3 mm drill to adjust the angle for the wire and Montex Mask for the markings on the fuselage and wing.

spacer.png  spacer.png

The markings are painted with Mr Paint.

spacer.png  spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 8

Hello Anders,

That's a really good Walrus !!

14 days ?? Oh Lord that's about the time I need to open the box and have a look at the sprue....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amazing job Sir !!

Can't wait to see the finished product.....

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 16/04/2023 at 09:48, corsaircorp said:

Hello Anders,

That's a really good Walrus !!

14 days ?? Oh Lord that's about the time I need to open the box and have a look at the sprue....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Amazing job Sir !!

Can't wait to see the finished product.....

Sincerely.

CC

Hello CC.

Thank,s!

Usually it's the same for me but I really wanted to be finished for the competition. One of the reasons I made it was because I didn't use any of the aftermarket parts I bought.

On 16/04/2023 at 10:09, dcrfan said:

But there is no sea on the map 🙄  Are they lost?  Fabulous modelling especially in the limited time frame you had.

I haven't seen that, maybe they stopped to ask the poor guy in the dinghy if he knew where they are!

Here is the aftermarket sets I didn't use.

spacer.png

I cut out a piece of the polystyrene and glued the model and the dinghy. After that I painted with a blue/brown color.

spacer.png

I used Mod Podge glue for the water when it dries it will be transparent.

spacer.png spacer.png

Anders E

Edited by Anders E
  • Like 7

Your diorama reminds me of a book I was reading about Wellington pilots who ditched in the Mediterranean, climbed into a raft that didn't inflate properly, and when the rescue plane came in to get them (might've been a Walrus I think), the pilot got up in the dinghy and got smacked by one of the wing floats of the plane and became another casualty!

Edited by marvinneko
  • Thanks 1

On 18/04/2023 at 14:37, bigbadbadge said:

Oh wow the Walrus looks stunning and the base too.  Will have to remember mid podge when I build a couple of ships.

Great work

Chris

Thanks Chris, I like the texture of Mod Podge but it is easy to get airbubbles in the "water".

On 18/04/2023 at 17:26, marvinneko said:

Your diorama reminds me of a book I was reading about Wellington pilots who ditched in the Mediterranean, climbed into a raft that didn't inflate properly, and when the rescue plane came in to get them (might've been a Walrus I think), the pilot got up in the dinghy and got smacked by one of the wing floats of the plane and became another casualty!

Hopefully this pilot have better luck.

On 18/04/2023 at 17:46, georgeusa said:

Great looking Walrus and the diorama really tells a story.  It is amazing how well a job you have done in such a short time.  Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

I took new pictures of the finished model.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 7

Thank's David. The bird are from MiniArts Pigeons. 

21 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

That looks absolutely awesome Anders, what a great diorama.   Could I ask what you used for the bow wave/wake?

Thanks

Chris

I use Liquitex for the bow wake. It's thicker than the Mod Podge and easy to use. When it dries, it becomes transparent.

spacer.png

Anders E

Edited by Anders E
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Anders E said:

Thank's David. The bird are from MiniArts Pigeons. 

I use Liquitex for the bow wake. It's thicker than the Mod Podge and easy to use. When it dries, it becomes transparent.

spacer.png

Anders E

Thanks Anders that's very helpful.

Chris

One of the best rescue dioramas I have seen

On my screen it looks like you have even created tiny dots or splashes of water under the bow ! Maybe it's just dust, but it still looks perfect

David