Arii Cessna T337 Skymaster ** Finished **

Well, I have come up with an issue, the 'civil' version of the kit's landing gear has spats over the wheels (while the box image does not). My intended subject does not have the spats.

The other Entexs boxing of the kit is a Military O-2 and comes with the 'spatless' gear parts. It looks like when these kits were moulded they had both types of gear on the sprue and then they cut off the non-applicable parts.

T337 on the left, O-2 on the right

52805306491_c7cfaca92a_b.jpg

Interestingly the O-2 instructions are double-sided, giving civil option instructions on one side (that shows the spats on the gear) and military on the other.

One option is to build it gear up and on the stand provided I suppose...

52805726400_e5b58a42d7_b.jpg

• Like 3

12 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

How many of those P-3s have you built? I feel like I've enjoyed seeing at least 3 or 4 of your Orions over the recent years?

7 so far completed, plus the one pictured and another 2 started which are cohabitating on the shelf of doom at the moment 😉

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ray,

really enjoying this build as I've always been fascinated by the Skymaster. Back in 1980, I was working at my local airport and we used to get regular visits by a German one (the owner had an old Rolls Royce car that was kept in our hangar). Anyway, your kit triggered off something that reminded me that I might have one in the stash.  After much searching I came across a small box that contained what looks the very same kit, only mine was produced by a company called Eidai. Best of all, it had a companion that is perfect for this G.B.!

regards

Dave

• Like 1

This is a strange mix of types. Fuselage is an ordinary 336/337, not a T337. Also, fixed gear Skymaster was a 336 not s 337. In general this is looking quite similar with the Airfix kit. I have had a soft spot of the latter since I saw one built by my cousin maybe 8 years old.

Cheers,

AaCee

Edited by AaCee26
Fixed gear 336 not 337
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great to see you building something so small compared to your normal subjects Ray.

Is this just you showing off a new pair of glasses you've treated yourself to for all this detailed work ? :shocked:

Good luck mate

cheers Pat 

Looking good so far! Always wondered why Cessna never put one on floats, but apparently, according to some who know more than me (virtually everyone) there is some problem with the engine arrangement, can't remember what. Might have to do with spray hitting the rear prop. Still would be nice to see. 

Whatever you do, DO NOT subject yourself to their 1/72nd cessna 172, it is probably the best way to incur a year of nightmares. Most of the kit is fine, but the clear parts, especially the rear window, will have you crying yourself to sleep. 

Edited by The Rat
  • Like 1

Looking good so far.

I just received some bits from Shapeways for the armament for a Rhodesian Lynx (converted 337).

I have both the Airfix and ARII kits and now trying to decide which one to use for this.

Will continue to watch your build for pointers.

13 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Great to see you building something so small compared to your normal subjects Ray.

Is this just you showing off a new pair of glasses you've treated yourself to for all this detailed work ? :shocked:

Good luck mate

cheers Pat 

Cheers Pat, and everyone else!

No mate these glasses are a couple of years old now 😎 Though I may have dusted off an old magnifying lamp!

I picked it up again this evening and tidied up some of the putty, only to add a little more to try and get the seams looking OK

52883534546_d681c1c98b_b.jpg

52882952317_d34fbf37be_b.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to finish it to an acceptable standard, I didn't spend enough time sorting out gaps and seams which bit me when I painted it.

Decals were from the spares box, some of them caused grief as I had to make up the door and window surround markings from bits and pieces. Happy to get it off the bench, perhaps I will have better luck with the next one.

52941457247_cbd23abf2d_b.jpg

More pictures in the gallery

• Like 5