MFH 1/12 Ferrari 312 F1-67 (full detail)

Time to stop my avoidant behaviours and start on this little girl. 

Purchased from Marketplace for a very good price, so no excuses not to get on with it. Several friends are cracking on with their MFH builds, so figured I best get on with one, so chose this from my small stash...

spacer.png  spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png  

I have purchased required items including colour matched paint (from Zero Paints) Etch metal primers, several drill bits (as I am heavy handed and can get through these easily) These items used, will be detailed as and when I use them...

These kits come in beautiful boxes, and the contents can seem overwhelming if you don't know what lies ahead of you...

I started by checking all the parts are present, and this can be a tedious process but just be methodical and it all gets ticked off on the instruction sheet. Once I was satisfied everything was there, I seperate each section to contain the parts required for that stage of the build. 

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

Next step is the start the clean up process. These kits are true multimedia and cionsuist oif resin, white metal, photo etch and various wires, tubes and ancillariy items. It also has several beautifully produced turned items including the wheel rims and carb trumpets. I use a magnetic tumbler to clean up the dirt from the white metal parts. These can be very dirty...

spacer.png

And that is where I am at present. Cleaning process can take several hours, changing water and burnishing fluid between each stage. Building will start on next update. 

Edited by Peter Milgate
edit
  • Like 8

21 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Can you tell more about this cleaning machine. I was looking that it's a blender.

Hello Vesa, 

As you can see, it looks like a blender!! the base part spins strong magnets in a circular pattern, which drag stainless steel pins around in the top plastic container. This holds your white metal parts and steel pins, along with some water and either simple washing up liquid or in my case, I normally use some burnishing fluid. The steel pins gently stike the metal parts, taking off the dirt claening the parts. It just speeds up the cleaning process for the metal parts. These kits have so many it is about simplifying the clean up before primer and paint. 

They are a fairly costly, but ultimately unnecessary tool. I purchased mine as an investment in my time as I have a bit of a stash of these MFH kits to build. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So moving on, I started at the start...Section 1 has you assembling the main engine block...

So, I used some metal etch primer from a new and emerging paint company (Proscale Paints -https://www.proscalepaints.uk/ ) This went on lovely and appears to hold paint onto surfaces very well.  They have a good range (and increasing) and can colour match any colour you like, their paint is ready to use and goes on lovely. I used their 2K on my Italeri Mefistofele and it goes down beautifully smooth and thin. I used etch primer, then some Mr Surfacer 1500 black followed by a variety of Alclads and Mr Hobby metallics to get some tonal variations going. It was all given a wash once in paint. 

These kits involve a lot of drilling. The V12 engine holds 24 spark plugs, each distributer needs 14 holes for each bank/coils. 12 holes for the intake trumpets, 12 holes for the exhausts, each pipe,tube and ancillary requires a mounting hole. The fuel tubes are mounted upon a 0.5mm section of nickel silver wire, which requires a hole to be drilled to mount them...despite all these holes, the net result is a lot of plug wires and fuel pipes fitted and making the engine look a bit busier...

spacer.png  

I fitted some wires to the starter motor? These won't be seen very easily as the lower engine becomes encased in a little aluminium tub. But I figured, in for a penny, in for a pound...

spacer.png

Next up is a quick test fit to work out how many holes I might need to drill for the engine tub...dry fitting and test fitting is essential!!

spacer.png  spacer.png

I decided to skip part of Section 2, the exhausts as I want to leave those until last so I can get the gearbox and cage built and fitted without exhausts in the way, so that meant speeding onto to part three...the intake trumpets assembly.

spacer.png 

Here we have twelve inlet trumpets, two spings, eight 0.5mm wire suports, two mounts for wire mesh covers, two throttle linkages and the base stands. I also have to add for rivets (not shown in picture)

Throw them all together and you get...

spacer.png  spacer.png  

spacer.png  spacer.png

And with both banks being fed some air...it looks sweet...

spacer.png  spacer.png

So that's where she sits at present. Next jobs are to fit throttle linkages and form the wire mesh intake covers. Thanks for looking. 👍😃

• Like 17

That looks absolutely superb Peter, a cracking model in its own right! Check the timing and firing order, chuck in some oil and water, hook it up to a fuel can, squirt some easy start down the carbs and I bet she'll run like a dream.... I can just hear that Ferrari V12 music now....!! :)

Lovely work!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tomasz Zamiara said:

Great work !

Maybe it will be helpful?

52845798970_2622c723be_h.jpgIMAG5812 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52844822707_d38bb8bfdf_h.jpgIMAG5803 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52844822707_d38bb8bfdf_h.jpgIMAG5803 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52844822762_255134dc36_h.jpgIMAG5799 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52845594734_893a219392_h.jpgIMAG5797 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52845402351_53c0218a93_h.jpgIMAG5796 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52845593114_917e652112_h.jpgIMAG5794 by Tomasz, on Flickr

52845593144_908ffd11f8_h.jpgIMAG5843 by Tomasz, on Flickr

Thanks Tomasz, they will be useful guides for me. Easy to get lost and confused with the piping and wiring at rear end. 👍👌

• Like 2

Moving forward while I have time...

Throttle linkages and wire mesh debris guards produced, trimmed and fitted...unfortunately I forgot to take pics of these, sorry. They were mighty anxiety producing but in reality they went really well. MFH provide a white metal press you force your wire mesh into and viola, an acurate shaped piece you simply cut to size. Throttle linkage took forever to get a single rivet in place, then the following three went straight in! Go figure!!

The end result is beautiful. Still awaiting a wash though so a bit shiny. That will be done with gearbox wash...So that is Section 3 finished effectively...

spacer.png

Time to push on then...these following images relate to Section 4.

I have dry fitted/assembled the surrounding tub for the engine to check I have drilled all relevant holes...I hadn't!!! and pieced it togehter with 1mm brass wire pegs. It fits nicely but is like a little three dimensional jigsaw puzzle. Satisfied with the outcome though.

spacer.png

These are unglued and just placed together so you may note some small gaps, these will hopefully be gone when held together, but this is just a fitting test at present. Waiting on paint to dry before looking at head rest/roll over hoop to be test fitted (I hadn't overlooked/forgotten about these at all...honest...😁)

Stepping forward to Section 5 (which is the gearbox). I have etch primered the rear discs and painted those, as well as etched and primered the brake calipers and fitted the start of the copper brake lines (using 0.8mm copper wire) Score marks will be added soon. Gearbox was then test fitted. It's a bit bright at present but will darken down considerably once washed (I hope) 

spacer.png  spacer.png

Currently working on soldering the support cage and ancillaries (battery, coils, oil catchment tank etc.) So that might take a while, but it is progressing nicely at present. Once the gearbox is fixed into position there will be a lot of fiddly details on the rear end to complete. My plan is to wire the battery and coils, as well as brake lines such as Tomasz has done. It is my usual go to with 1/12 scale builds. Roll over hoop details will be next update. Thanks for looking. 

• Like 16

I may have overlooked putting the rear anti roll bar on...but that will be easily attached at next session...apart from that, work continued on Section Five with the fitting of copper brake lines to the calipers and associated unions. The rear cage is soldered and painted up and attached temporarily...

Meanwhile, at the front end the roll over hoop and attached oil catchment tank thingys and some form of filter?...tanks added and plumbed in, followed by a wash and some fuel/fluid staining...

spacer.png   spacer.png   spacer.png

spacer.png

Attention then turned to trying to get some of the rear ancillary parts finished off, which attache to the safety cage which surrounds the gearbox...Battery was soldered together, then etch primered and undercoated before paint. Coils given basic paint job...battery test fitted into position to get a rough idea on wiring plan.

spacer.png   spacer.png  

While waiting on bits there, I fitted some tanks which appear to be brake line related but I'm unsure of their purpose. I currently have they plumb with soft pipes at the top and copper wire joining them under the gearbox. 

spacer.png  spacer.png

This image shows a coil pre and post wash, comlete with power leads and wiring attached. Some detail wiring added to alternator? and flying leads added to battery terminals. 

spacer.png  spacer.png   spacer.png

Wiring spaghetti is starting to do my head in so might have a brief break form it for a day or two...but the rear end is starting to look a bit busy. The rear cage took some manipulating to get it to fit and the rear oil tank clear the gearbox but it went nicely in the end. The bracket which hold the battery is all  ready to fit and that will be the next steps, after fitting an anti roll bar. 😁

Thanks for looking...soon be doing exhausts...

• Like 12

Looking to get Stage 6 completed so a little more work required. Added an oil feeder tube into the rear oil tank? This detail noted on https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/77519-ferrari-312f1-chris-amon-monaco-1967-112-mfh/ This is another beautiful build of this kit. 

The tank was given a spare resin AN fitting, chromed up and clear tubing with a Tamiya Clear yellow paint, syringed through to give the impression of oil. I think this techniques is much better than the clear MFH tubing or the Brown claer MFH tube, which I used for the fuel lines. Just my preference, it may not be yours. 

PE Exhaust bracket fitted and some wire management done. Funny little round thing given a bit of PE detail and wire clips given a wash. 

Small rear anti roll bar error addressed and the eagle eyed among you will note it is now sitting in place. I had two options:

Option One; either remove the gearbox and fit it as recommended by the instructions or Option Two; cut it and join a left and right part. Option one contained too much risk to the completed work for my liking so I went with Option Two with no issues arising. I just couldn't thread it past the bulkhead, brakes and gearbox.

Mental note to self, check parts count before committing to glue!!!

spacer.png spacer.png spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

Stage Six now completed. The rear end now looks nice and busy, with some subtle age and weathering applied.

I am now moving onto Stage Two and Seven combined. The exhausts or "spaghetti" My first foray has highlighted these may be a little time sapping and mentally challenge. But I hope to get them sorted without too much swearing or annoyance. I am really pleased with how she is looking so far. 

Thanks for looking and the encouraging feedback. 👍😊

Edited by Peter Milgate
edit
  • Like 13

Quick update...these metallic decals from E.Jan have just arrived and I have decided to rivet the body work, so a set of metal rivets has been ordered so should be here well before they are needed.

In combination, these should add some nice extra detail to the bodywork.

spacer.png

• Like 8

Nice couple of days in the ISM International Scale Modeller) hangout and have got a bit more modelling done.

So I have stepped back to Stage Two...the exhausts. The car is renowned for these and carries a nickname of "spaghetti" due to the fabulous V12 exhausts. 

Usual clean up routine, tumbler,  sanders, etch primer and a coat of Mr Surfacer white 1000. The plan was to stick with that as top coat but things changed...

These were assmbled on the engine and tacked in place with CA glue, all seemed fine. I added some weld lines and they were begininning to look sweet. Chuffed I was...

spacer.png

However when I fitted them to the engine (temporarily) I had this eerie feeling something was off. Further investigation and the penny dropped. I had used the wrong rear sections and had to disassemble and rebuild them all again. Bugger!! I was up to the point they are at now, exhaust brackets and everything. Bugger!!

The original exhaust build led to the tail pipes being alongside each other rather than the over the top as they should be. Unfortunately, I hadn't taken any photos of this error but be aware it is easy to fall into if you are not as attentive as you should be. The rebuild was nice and quick and they went together rather nicely. These photos show the Mark 2 exhausts and these are only laid into the ports so are not in finished positions, or even finally painted and weathered. The tails will need a small tweak once securely mounted at the front but I can't do that until they are secured in place. 

So with that small challenge/set back behind me I needed to look at the chassis and engine fitting, whilst waiting for new exhaust paint to dry...that will account for Stage 7 being completed, there is no more fabrication on the exhausts, just paint, washes and weathering before being glued into place. 

Chassis interior tub was soldered together earlier, as practice with my new Weller WE1010, using low melt solder and white metal flux. It went okay and is nice and solid. I would have soldered the exhausts but felt it would be easier to use glue due to aligning of parts and access to joints. 

spacer.png

The interior tub slides inside the external bodywork like a cassette, this will have the engine fitted to its rear. This was test fitted after drilling a few holes in the rear bulk head resulting in the WIP as below....

The engine has gone into its fittings on the bulkhead very snuggly, very pleased with the fitment. 

spacer.png

The eagle eyed among you will have noticed a small gap at the rear bulkhead/bodywork joint. This is because I have not drilled out two locating holes at the front of the body which allows locating pins on the interior chassis to fit into, leading to a couple of millimeter gap. So, that's where I am. Happy with exhausts and those are in paint and working on rear suspension parts, wheel hubs and suspension being readied for Section 8. 

Thanks for looking. 👍😁

Edited by Peter Milgate
edit
  • Like 13

More progress to report upon, steady opportunities to get some more modelling done...Once exhausts were sorted and I was happy with them, it was time to move on to do the rear suspension set up.

Exhausts were finished in Mr Surfacer 1000 white, with a black wash prior to basic weathering. 

spacer.png

spacer.png  spacer.png      spacer.png

Exhausts were given some gentle weathering using some rust and soot powders in an attempt to replicate some leaks etc. The surrounding heat shield/tray was given the same treatment. Rear suspension was very straight forward, turned metal shock towers with white metal drop links/arms and anti-roll bar fittings. Resin wheel hubs were etched and painted in silver before recieving a black wash for age!!

spacer.png 

The following sequence of pictures are the kit up to the finish of Stage 9. Three missing parts at this point are the two exhaust holding springs and a length of fuel pipe from by the rollover hoop. 

This represents the rear section completed, engine, gearbox and rear suspension complete...

Attention now turns to Section 10 which is the inner monocoque and cockpit/dashboard. Seat padding is done in Zero Paints Ferrari COrsa FX Red Leather, Some wiring added to rear of dash panel with some PE screw heads for the rear of the instruments. Decals and switch added to front. This will be touched up once thoroughly dry and then plastic instrument covers added. 

spacer.png

Looking at the bodywork, the decision was made to replace the rivets as they are quite a prominent part of the bodywork. This entailed the purchase of the rivet set and will require the drilling of a hole or two. I have tested the impact of this on the bottom chassis panel as pictured below.  The difference is quite remarkable and I do question why they are not either included in the kit or casy onto the bodywork already. Some parts are not painted but just require a polish, so this was done....

So the next stages are to finish off the cockpit and body work. The bodywork needs to be completed before the front inner chassis/monocoque is joined with the engine block. I hope to work on front footwell and radiators whilst waiting for paint to dry/cure. Front suspension and hubs need doing as well as wheels. But, body work first...now, where did I put that pin vice...

• Like 8