Parrott Rifle, US Civil War, cast metal kit, 1/16th scale...

The barrel, although it is a lovely piece of brass, will have to be painted black.  So it, too, gets primed.

52928747627_23b385dcd7_z_d.jpg

52928747657_cce2fd83dc_z_d.jpg

As you also see, I have begun painting the wheels and assembly.  I'm not keen on the green.  It's too green, not grey enough and too light.  

--John

• Like 6

• John Masters changed the title to Parrott Rifle, US Civil War, cast metal kit, 1/16th scale...

This is a much better shade of green.  It matches the box-top photo and all the photos and memories I have of those I have seen up close.

52931230614_d88efc0813_k_d.jpg

It is a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Primer Grey and BS Dark Green.  I'll start in on priming and painting the little pieces today and some more assembly.

--John

• Like 5

Time to make the little metal bits black.  AK Lacquer rattle can...

52932582910_796017772c_z_d.jpg

I think I'll need some new Blu-tac now...

52932582905_d9c6df4645_z_d.jpg

I went through with a hairy brush and made the metal bits on the trail, etc...black.  Wheel parts too.  Made a big mess so I went back with some of the green and tidied up.  It's looking better but the acrylic paint doesn't stick too well to the metal.  I think I will have to do one more tidying run-through, let it dry for a while, then spray it all over with clear matte lacquer spray.  Yes...out of my comfort zone indeed.  Metal models.  But it's beginning to look right.

52932582885_244255e795_z_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

CA just wasn't cutting it with the small metal parts so I had to mix up a bit of 5-minute epoxy.  No matter.  It's looking good.  I set it on the wheels so I could see how much axle had to taken off to fit the hubs (quit a bit) and also to make the adjustments to the elevation screw.  

52935346664_6df7003b48_z_d.jpg

52935346679_4b97a76030_z_d.jpg

52935346674_53208112dc_z_d.jpg

Not to worry...I'll be painting that bit of chain.  

--John

• Like 5

Egad!  I came back to this thread just to look at the photos of the kit parts and found a big, big surprise. The thread has life again! :party:

Looking great so far!

I think an option for the bare copper chains is to use Brass Black (Birchwood-Casey is one brand) which blackens brass and copper. Incidentally, the older Marine Model Co., Inc "Guns of History" kits came with pre-blackened chain and an actual functioning elevation screw. Nowadays they just make the elevation screw and housing and cast it as one piece with an actual slotted screw used as the mold master. The older kits also have a 3/16" brass axle with the box shaped axle housing cast around it.

I have started mine, just glued the trail halves together but ended up using JB Weld which seems to work very well. It's meant for metal and can be filed, sanded and carved with relative ease. It is not 5 minute epoxy though and takes about 24 hrs to cure.

Edited by Harquebus

4 minutes ago, 81-er said:

You can't be far off finishing now, can you?

Thanks James.  Yes...not far.  I'll paint the chain with some jet exhaust which is a nice dark-grey-silver...I'll mark off the axle parts that need to be cut off and do that.  With an actual hacksaw, I think.  Add the gun, the brackets and its little bits of chain...etc...a couple of days probably.  I want to finish the Mig-19 first.

• Like 1

I dislike modelling with epoxy and metal.  Not my cup of tea.  If I have time for another in this GB I think I will build this...

52940671008_de6fece33e_z_d.jpg

But without the goofy decals.  It'll be like the well-used ones I saw in Bulgaria...and it's plastic.

Not my comfort zone?  1/24th scale civilian vehicle.  NMCZ for sure. 

Back to the Parrott Rifle...

I sawed off some of the axles.

52940648838_9bfbba694e_z_d.jpg

I have attached the gun.  The mounting brackets for the gun are awful.  The fit stinks, even after opening up the holes a bit, etc...But I slathered on the epoxy and pray that it holds.  This kit is already destined for the back of a shelf anyway.  

52940188931_30e9af30b5_z_d.jpg

The chains are all on and I gave them some Jet Exhaust to darken the copper.  I'm not concerned that it doesn't look perfect.  I am not about to invest in a chemical that I will only use once to make them black.  

I figured, why not?  Get those wheels on and glue those hubs.

52940648843_2d904a108b_z_d.jpg

I'll let it sit for a while before I add the tools, etc.  Wrapping it up tonight folks!

--John

• Like 7

It looks deserving of a more prominent display place than the back of the shelf, John, you're making a nice job of that

James

I'm calling this one finished.  For the moment it is sitting here.  Tomorrow I'll take better pictures and get it in the gallery.

52941183835_14f08fe417_c_d.jpg

52940194607_ed743a4c86_c_d.jpg

52940194682_b1726b459e_c_d.jpg

52940940999_76e50a642d_c_d.jpg

Despite my grumbling I am actually quite pleased with this.  It looks very much like the memorial guns I have seen at Manassas and Gettysburg.

I think I'll order a better base from the LHS for it and make it look halfway decent.  I should probably build the Napoleon and the 3-inch ordnance rifle.   I think this company makes them both.  The Napoleon for sure.  I built one about 20 years ago.

--John

• Like 6

Looks very good to me, just been listening to an audio book about Gettysberg, bring a bit of life to it