Aftermarket - Am I the only stupid out there ?

JohnT

Well they say confession is good for the soul.  Several years ago I bought a 1/32 Trumpeter F-105 Thunderchief and got the idea of tackling some of the kit errors with some AM sets.  Various things intruded including a new house build, two moves while that was going on, starting a new business and the odd other crisis we all have.  Along the way I got the idea to use the Cutting Edge set to backdate the Thud from a D to a B - a bit different.

So several years and stash in boxes in storage and buying bits and pieces.

This week I bought another Thud off Chris aka @spruecutter96 as a sort of "back up" for when I screw up the first one and if not then I can do an OOB  "D".   I reckoned it was time to inventory the collected AM all acquired on the likes of fleabay at decent prices over the years and I got a bit of a shock !

To my astonishment what I found I had collected for the first kit was :-

2 sets Reskit wheels and 1 set Fisher Models wheels

1 aries cockpit plus a Big Ed set so cockpit number 2 and then I find Quinta decals cockpit - number 3- Eh???   What was I thinking ?

2 Cutting Edge backdate sets  - I mean how 2????

I Cutting Edge set to fix the canopy etc - just one of those so no brain storm there

2 Master pitots - Again why 2 ???

1 Aries wheel well sets duplicated by the Big Ed set

And don't even ask about decals..................

Someone must be breaking in to the house at night and leaving aftermarket stuff behind

I just about have enough sets of AM to cover the second model now acquired but how on earth did I manage to collect all that AM for just the one kit????

Anyone else ever been that stupid  found themselves in a similar position and willing to own up?  My wife tells me to stop getting excited at my age and buying stuff without pausing and checking first.  I just tell her she is lucky I don't have two or three wives by mistake.  That goes down well :fight:

:clif::doh:

• Like 3
  • Haha 12
  • Sad 1

You are not the only one

One of the reasons I like buying from Hannants is when you put something in your 'basket' it marks if you've bought it before

I have?! instigates a physical search to find it

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'd say it's more a case of advancing age and poor memory. :clif:  It happens to the best of us ;)

Nonsense. Anyway who is that Mike chap, the young whippersnapper :D

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, bootneck said:

You are lucky,  I've collected aftermarket that I haven't even got kits for! :banghead:

Yes, Mike, but that's only because you're quite sure some day you'll get the kit for each and every aftermarket that you've collected. ;)

• Like 1

Not sure its down to bad memory but more of the hunter gatherer instinct how else could I justify knowingly buying a second 1/72 Concorde, even though it did only cost a fiver. 

Often seen collectors @ toy fairs picking items up and then looking at a long list in a book and thought 'if i get to that stage shoot me' however having just found I've at least 3 AEC Matadors & two Dorchesters.   Now to find a book  :shoot:

6 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

As my Scottish grandfather used to say, "Put that by - it might be useful some day" ...

Who hasn't got a rammel drawer or two or three?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

As my Scottish grandfather used to say, "Put that by - it might be useful some day" ...

Was your grandfather related my father? Long lost brothers or somat? my father was adopted. It took me three years to clear one of my sheds of his 'might be useful bits'. There are three or four more sheds to do yet. Mind you, I made some good coin on ebay from his rubbage

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Circloy said:

Often seen collectors @ toy fairs picking items up and then looking at a long list in a book and thought 'if i get to that stage shoot me' however having just found I've at least 3 AEC Matadors & two Dorchesters.   Now to find a book  :shoot:

I'm sure there are folks out there whose "stash-record" books are many in number...

Chris.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

Was your grandfather related my father? Long lost brothers or somat? my father was adopted. It took me three years to clear one of my sheds of his 'might be useful bits'. There are three or four more sheds to do yet. Mind you, I made some good coin on ebay from his rubbage

I think it's a product of that generation. They lived through the Great Depression and (in Grandpa's case, fought in) the First Great Unpleasantness, and being frugal was second nature to them. If something broke, Grandpa would fix it if he could - patch up and make do were the orders of the day. None of this racing out and buying a new one for him!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

I'm sure there are folks out there whose "stash-record" books are many in number...

I have a book with a list for resin parts, a book for Aeroclub  and white-metal parts, a book for decal sets, a book for photo-etch sets

But

can I find any of these books?

I just end up burrowing through the umpteen similar plastic boxes everything is stored in

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I have a book with a list for resin parts, a book for Aeroclub  and white-metal parts, a book for decal sets, a book for photo-etch sets

But

can I find any of these books?

I just end up burrowing through the umpteen similar plastic boxes everything is stored in

May I suggest you start a book to keep track of your stash books?

• Haha 5

14 hours ago, Pete Robin said:

Wasn't so much aftermarket sets, but paint with me. I always ended up with a dozen tins of the same colour.

Regards

Pete

....  in your defence, even though it says the same Humbrol number on the tin, they all manage to be a slightly different colour....  :)

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I kid you not, when I emptied the loft of my late father's house, I actually found a kitchen sink.

• Haha 4

I have found in the past I have unintentionally bought a duplicate of something. It rarely has been wasted though. 

I must admit to having a stock book (and I know where it is), I have too many kits too remember them all!

It would appear that you just don't have enough kits to apply the goodies to.How you explain to SWMBO about redressing that balance however... :jump_fire:

Have a few of these,you're going to need them :penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin::penguin:

Edited by Alex Gordon
Spelin
  • Haha 1

On 4/6/2023 at 9:22 PM, Pajarito said:

Yes, Mike, but that's only because you're quite sure some day you'll get the kit for each and every aftermarket that you've collected. ;)

Exactly: I look upon them as long-lead advance procurement - in my case, extremely long lead, like a century or two.

On 4/6/2023 at 6:39 PM, Black Knight said:

You are not the only one

One of the reasons I like buying from Hannants is when you put something in your 'basket' it marks if you've bought it before

I have?! instigates a physical search to find it

And, now and again, just when you're on the edge of giving up hope, one of those searches is successful!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a scale model dedicated Database out there called Kit Base I think it is? Looked into it once but it only supports one PC or unit per license I think ... sorry if I'm wrong original author?

I'd need more than that, 2 PC's here 2 laptops, an Ipad and of course my phone ... we access the web from many different devices these days.

Then of course, we could just use a normal database program like Access that comes with most Windows OS's ... not sure about the Apple folk of course, but sure there is similar :)

I use Google Sheets to keep track of kits, AM, paint, books. It's free and available on all devices, which allows me to check before every purchase anywhere. It includes queries to keep track of subjects, manufacturers, scales, ISBNs, &etc.

Inventory-Screenshot.jpg

LMK if you'd like an empty sheet.