Jump to content

Kosovo Cross FS Numbers


Tweener

Recommended Posts

Is there any chance someone might know the FS number of Yugoslav Air Force interwar /  WW2 Kosovo Cross and Rudder Stripes? The Xtradecal rudder stripes for the Airfix Blenheim don't fit and I think I'd be better off painting them either way, given my luck with applying rudder decals.

 

Thanks in advance,

Tweener

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The decal samples above to me seem to have the French insignia a more pure cyan.

 

Near the bottom of the following link the write up does state Yugoslav roundel colours originated from French colours.   Specifically the base blue was Cobalt with further mixing, while the red color was pure Crimson.

 

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/05/27/camouflage-and-markings-of-yugoslav-kingdom-warplanes/

Edited by JackG
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Tweener said:

Is there any chance someone might know the FS number of Yugoslav Air Force interwar /  WW2 Kosovo Cross and Rudder Stripes? The Xtradecal rudder stripes for the Airfix Blenheim don't fit and I think I'd be better off painting them either way, given my luck with applying rudder decals.

 

Thanks in advance,

Tweener

They are not painted in FS colours Why would they be in US postwar colour?

 

Selwyn

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe it's just my eyes, but to me the blues on that image of decals next to the cover sheet of Lift Here BRE-14 look distinctly different to the main decal sheet images below. The smaller ones look distinctly aqua hued, whereas the main ones look like a pure slightly grey pale blue, not far from Bugatti blue... It's a minefield, isn't it? On the other hand, who's going to prove you wrong?

 

best,

M.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Selwyn said:

They are not painted in FS colours Why would they be in US postwar colour?

 

Selwyn

 

I'm aware that FS numbers are an American creation dating from after the creation of the relevant colors, but it's also the case that many pre-war and wartime colors have a near or even perfect match to an FS number.

 

16 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

Maybe it's just my eyes, but to me the blues on that image of decals next to the cover sheet of Lift Here BRE-14 look distinctly different to the main decal sheet images below. The smaller ones look distinctly aqua hued, whereas the main ones look like a pure slightly grey pale blue, not far from Bugatti blue... It's a minefield, isn't it? On the other hand, who's going to prove you wrong?

 

best,

M.

Part of the issue is that there was not as much standardization as I would have imagined until the mid 1930's - but even then, precise placements and sizes often varied and as paint supplies changed from French to British starting in roughly 1938, further variation ended up taking place.

 

On 4/5/2023 at 3:44 PM, JWM said:

The Serbian company Lift Here makes is close to French insignia blue

746-LH.gifsea-patrol-72--1288-p.gif?v=30b2eb60-6fe

Given that the Yugoslav insignia were based on the experience of Serbian airmen fighting in France, it's indeed the case that their early markings used French colors as well. The problem is twofold - first, the French slightly changed the blue color used in their markings at some point in the early to mid 1930's, and Yugoslavia switched to British supplies of paint in roughly 1938 as the Fury, Hurricane, and Blenheim came into full service.

 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:00 PM, JackG said:

The decal samples above to me seem to have the French insignia a more pure cyan.

 

Near the bottom of the following link the write up does state Yugoslav roundel colours originated from French colours.   Specifically the base blue was Cobalt with further mixing, while the red color was pure Crimson.

 

http://www.letletlet-warplanes.com/2008/05/27/camouflage-and-markings-of-yugoslav-kingdom-warplanes/

While I generally like letletlet, I found that article to be somewhat difficult to trust given it's assertions about Blenheim underside colors, among other issues, which are largely incorrect. Of course, those issues are rather separate from the matter I'm asking about. I think in any case that I may simply have to buy and experiment with a few colors to find what looks best. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since color is in fact a result of interaction between a matter (dye for example) and and light, the difference in colors on LF decals can be apparent. Currently we have much more synthetic dyes that it wa 85 years ago. If it was mineral cobalt dye, the Breguet 14 sheet is more accurate...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kagero's 'Yugoslav fighters colours 1918-1941' vol.I has a scan of the official state-issued template for Kosovski krst from 1924, but it just states that 'blue, dark blue and red' are the insignia colors (page 173).

It is also stated at the same page that this insignia did go through small variations, both in proportions and color shades, due to each manufacturer ordering approximate colors from the nearest supplier.

No FS approximations whatsoever are given in the book for insignia, nor camouflage colors.

Further pages show a selection of both wing Kosovo Crosses and tail tricolors, confirming the mentioned variations.

 

52804308711_01ee8f5f12_h.jpg

 

52803750217_edd4bc3555_h.jpg

 

On 4/6/2023 at 10:50 AM, cmatthewbacon said:

Maybe it's just my eyes, but to me the blues on that image of decals next to the cover sheet of Lift Here BRE-14 look distinctly different to the main decal sheet images below. The smaller ones look distinctly aqua hued, whereas the main ones look like a pure slightly grey pale blue, not far from Bugatti blue... It's a minefield, isn't it? On the other hand, who's going to prove you wrong?

 

Please note that the first few batches of Lift Here decals were printed by Begemot, and those do indeed show aqua/cyan-ish medium blue. 

Later (and current) batches are printed by Propagteam, easily recognizable by their greyer and paler medium blue.

Begemot-made ones do have a tendency to yellow with age.                     

Edited by warhawk
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...