"Standard gauge" 4ft 8½in, where to measure?

Modelling Railways Illustrated Vol.1 No.2 has a very good 7mm scale Austerity drawing. I'll try and scan it later (or at least sometime in the next 24 hours) if you send me your e-mail address.

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2023 at 6:09 AM, Paul821 said:

Mike these links might be of use to you

https://m.yeggi.com/q/austerity+tank/

Both as a result of searching J94 3d print

I do have access to a couple of 1:1 scale ex Army austerity locos if you need detailed pictures or measurements.

Oh no not one of those 1:1 scale models. I had access to one when I was building my Rhodesian Garratt. It was wrong in so many details according to the Rhodesian Railways official (tiny) scale drawing I had. Unfortunately I had already made significant progress on the chassis etc before I had access to the real thing (which luckily was only 30 minutes from where I live in New Zealand) so compromises had to be made to enable me to maintain my sanity and progress my already flawed components. You do need to understand 'as designed' versus 'as built' versus 'as modified in service' then 'as restored' changes in a steam locomotives lifespan.

Edited by dcrfan

On 08/04/2023 at 19:09, Paul821 said:

I do have access to a couple of 1:1 scale ex Army austerity locos if you need detailed pictures or measurements.

Hi Paul,

thanks for the links.  I would be grateful if you could send any details of the runnng gear.  Scratchbuilding locomotives is not my normal subject, so I shall need to interpret much of any data I can get hold of.

cheers,
Mike

On 4/8/2023 at 3:42 PM, bootneck said:

I have just received this kit of a Russian gauge railway track set.  The gauge is 5 foot but I shouldn't have any problem resizing the gap to 4ft 8½ in.

Up to you, but the difference at 1/35 is about 1mm, visually I doubt you are going to notice. Good luck with the project it sounds interesting.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1