1/48 Hobby Boss A-7E Corsair II

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/04/2023 at 20:24, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome to the build, the VFA-86 markings look good. I did an F-18 in very similar markings a few years ago. 

Thank you! It's a very attractive looking kit and I think I'm going to enjoy this one! The USAF certainly has a great back catalogue of interesting and colourful aircraft.

Best of all, I've finally started it! 😁

The first job was cutting out all the bits required for the cockpit, intake, gear bays and exhaust:

sl1.jpg

A coat of paint was applied to the intake, gear bay pieces and exhaust:

sl2.jpg

I had a slight reaction with the paint in the intake trunking:

sl3.jpg

I'm not sure why but assume it was the release agent...? I never wash my models before painting them (I've never needed to) but perhaps that was the issue. Not a massive problem as the ducting will be hidden inside the fuselage, but I will was the rest of the model just in case!

The cockpit went together nicely:

sl4.jpg

That should look good once painted!

The main gear bay was also constructed:

sl5.jpg

And the noise gear bay attached to the intake ducting:

sl6.jpg

A dry fit looks promising:

sl7.jpg

Hopefully a bit more progress next week!

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another quick update. The cockpit was painted and the IP decals added. They look a bit basic, but this one is OOB so will have to do:

cp1.jpg

Once fitted, the cockpit looks acceptable. I used some artistic license with the seat, adding an ejection handle which may or may not be accurate...! It just looked a bit too basic as it was. A dirty wash brought out some of the detail:

cp2.jpg

The undercarriage bay also had a dirty wash:

by1.jpg

As did the nose gear bay:

by2.jpg

The nose gear components were also readied for painting:

by3.jpg

The next job is installing these sub-assemblies and closing up the fuselage. I suspect some weight will be needed to prevent tail-sitting, but I cannot see any mention of this on the instructions so far...!

• Like 5

Onto the wings! There were some holes to be drilled to allow the pylons to be attached. Note a few access doors on the sprue which are painted on the interior side:

wg1.jpg

Once the wings were cleaned up, they went together easily:

wg2.jpg

So far I've not needed any filler - a pleasant change from many recent models!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I've ignored this one for a while (whilst completing my 1/48 TSR-2), but it's time for a small update.

I finished gluing the fuselage together, which required some heavy duty clamping around the intake:

int.jpg

I think the filler will be broached for the first time on this model to blend this area!

I also decided to enhance the cockpit slightly, adding some straps to the seat. This was the first time I had used my Infini cutting board and it was a breeze:

mat.jpg

The belts are not very accurate (nor is the ejection handle!), but they create a bit more interest in the cockpit. It is certainly good enough for me, viewing it through the closed canopy from a couple of feet away! Talking of canopies, this is also attached along with the intake ring:

can.jpg

The wings are just dry fitted but look like they will go on perfectly.

Hopefully a bit more progress will be made this week!

• Like 5

Close to the painting stage and It looks to have gone together well matt, I've  got this kit in the stash,although I've raided it for some weapons parts and mers

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 07:25, Hewy said:

Close to the painting stage and It looks to have gone together well matt, I've  got this kit in the stash,although I've raided it for some weapons parts and mers

Cheers Hewy. I had planned to mask and spray it yesterday, but encountered a slight issue - more on that in a moment...

I might have some spares available at the end of this build if you're interested? If so, I'll let you know what I have once it's done.👍

So I had intended to mask the canopy, but noticed a huge seam on the canopy. A quick session with the sanding sticks soon removed it:

cpy.jpg

At this point I realised an AM cockpit would have been a good investment too - you can see everything and some of it is not pretty!

A few minutes with the micro mesh soon made things smooth again:

cpy2.jpg

Some water had seeped inside, so hopefully that will dry out in a day or two!

I also attached the pylons, ready for painting:

pylons.jpg

And fixed the rudder into place:

tail.jpg

The plan is to spray the fuselage, wings and tailplanes separately then glue them into position at the end. Hopefully some nice crisp demarcation lines and easier access for the airbrush!

• Like 5

Good plan with the painting matt , If that canopy proves to be a pita, i find enamel thinners  helps to loosen the bond of tamiya thin,especially on small parts when i least expect it 

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/05/2023 at 10:50, Hewy said:

Good plan with the painting matt , If that canopy proves to be a pita, i find enamel thinners  helps to loosen the bond of tamiya thin,especially on small parts when i least expect it 

Cheers Hewy! Hopefully painting will commence soon...😀

The wings are now finished, with the addition of the release shackles to the pylons:

piles.jpg

Once the canopy is masked I will begin priming. If I get a wriggle on I might manage to finish a model before the end of a GB (that would make a nice change!)😆

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 9:31 AM, Back in the Saddle said:

Cheers Hewy! Hopefully painting will commence soon...😀

The wings are now finished, with the addition of the release shackles to the pylons:

piles.jpg

Once the canopy is masked I will begin priming. If I get a wriggle on I might manage to finish a model before the end of a GB (that would make a nice change!)😆

G'day Matt,

The pylons look great and the swaybraces really add something. I hope the installation of the pylons to the wing won't create any painting issues as it looks a little tight to get good coverage between the pylons?

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/06/2023 at 06:09, Pappy said:

The pylons look great and the swaybraces really add something. I hope the installation of the pylons to the wing won't create any painting issues as it looks a little tight to get good coverage between the pylons?

Thanks Pappy - I learnt a new word today (swaybraces)!

Getting the paint between the pylons is fiddly but still possible. However, I have run out of time on this GB - the story of my life! It is nearly complete, with all the main assemblies built and just the undercarriage and painting/decals/weathering left to do:

cur.jpg

Rather than rushing, I will finish this off in a leisurely fashion over the summer and post an RFI once it is complete.

Thanks for a great GB, inspiring me to get this one (almost) done! It's been a fun and hassle free build.👍

• Like 5

• 2 months later...
On 27/06/2023 at 19:59, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Finished or not Thank you for joining us here in the build. Please post a link if you move the thread to the WIP area. 

Thank you for having me and apologies for the slow reply...!

It's so close to completion I think I'll just finish it here (if anybody is still lurking?)

On 28/06/2023 at 07:22, Dansk said:

maybe you can make it now matt with the new extended deadline?

You would have thought so, wouldn't you but life got in the way! I'm giving myself a personal KUTA to get a few off the bench - this is one of them!

The whole model was already primed, so I applied a coat of white to the undersides then masked up ready for the grey uppers. The demarcation line has a slight wave in it, so I quickly attacked the masking tape with a scalpel:

wvy.jpg

This was then stuck onto the lower fuselage:

wle.jpg

The rudder and fin tip were also masked, as they are to remain white.

The upper flaps and aileron surfaces were also masked:

wmk.jpg

I will get the tailplanes done tonight (they are not worth another photo!) and hopefully spray the grey tomorrow.👍

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All the main components have now been sprayed:

stt.jpg

There is still some brush work to do (avionic bays, refuelling probe, swaybraces, etc.) and this will be done soon.

I made a start on the decals and was very impressed with how they have bedded down using micro set/micro sol:

sfd.jpg

Once the decals are finished I will seal them and start to apply Flory to give it a more used appearance!

RFI finally imminent...👍

• Like 2

On 13/05/2023 at 07:25, Hewy said:

Hi Hewy.

I have most of the armament available from this kit if you need it?

Just finishing off the decals and attaching doors - should be done later today! 🙂

On 29/09/2023 at 09:33, Back in the Saddle said:

have most of the armament available from this kit if you need it?

Thanks matt but  I have the amk weopons set for spares now ,you're offer is most kind though

Glynn

• 4 weeks later...